View Full Version : Welcome to Three ! FAQ

miffed
30th March 2005, 06:53 PM
The Three network offers excellent value in terms of exclusive minutes and Handsets
For those who are new to the Network here are some commonly asked questions

Should a question be raised more than a few times within the Three forums - I will add it to this FAQ

There is of course , no such thing as a stupid question , if you genuinely don't know the answer - but some start to appear that way when they are asked over and over again

For this reason , We would ask you to please check this thread before asking basic questions

HOW DO I VIEW WAP / INTERNET SITES OTHER THAN THOSE PROVIDED BY THREE ?

You don't ! Three operate a "walled garden" this means as far as data is concerned , you are restricted to the content Three provide , this also means that any applications (such as messengers, GPS etc) that require an open GPRS connection will not work on the Three network

CAN I PUT MY THREE SIM INTO MY OLD GSM HANDSET ?

No - You may find it works for a short while , but within a few weeks Three will block the sim and send you a new one

CAN I CHECK HOW MANY OF MY INCLUSIVE MINUTES / TEXTS I HAVE LEFT?

Yes - by selecting "Services" and clicking on the "My 3" icon , you can check these details & you can check how much you previous months bill was

I HAVE FOUND THAT MY CALLS SEEM TO DROP - WHY IS THIS ?

Three is a Purely 3G network , as it was launched from scratch there are still many areas (around 20% of the UK population) that have no coverage from this network , in those areas , Three customers are allowed to roam on to O2's GSM network
The problems arise when a user moves from a 3G cell into a GSM cell and vice-versa , because the two cells are owned by different networks a registration process has to take place , and this inevitably leads to calls being dropped

WHAT IS THE NUMBER FOR THREE CUSTOMER SERVICES ?

333 - Unfortunately though , like so many companies these days , Three use a foreign call centre , These can be helpful at times , but at other times they can be frustrating
If there is a Three shop (at superdrug) near you , you may find you can be helped a lot faster by popping in to see them

MY BATTERY DOESN'T LAST VERY LONG , WHY IS THIS ?

This has improved dramtically over the last 18 months or so , but you'll probably find your 3G handset's battery does not last as long as your old GSM handset's did
3G phones tend to be more battery hungry in general , and also you'll find that switching between 2.5g & 3G often makes even shorter work of you battery , this is a situation that should improve as coverage is increased

WHEN ROAMING ON O2'S NETWORK ,AM I CHARGED EXTRA FOR ANY MINUTES USED ?

All the while you are within your monthly inclusive minutes ,the minutes will just be taken off your total as normal , when you are outside of your allowance , the price per minute is slightly more expensive than when on Three's network though

CAN I PORT MY MOBILE NUMBER INTO THREE ?

Yes you can , the only problem is that the ported number will only support voice calls, you will then have a seperate numbers for video calls

(to be continued)