View Full Version : C975 USB connector

steve9025
2nd January 2006, 07:30 AM
I've bought a 128MB Transflash card for my C975. I now want to be able to connect my phone to my PC.

I see some USB devices are called "memory card readers". Will these be able to transfer data from my transflash card AND my phone's memory on to a PC?

Basically, it's:

http://www.motorola-shop.co.uk/acc_detail.aspx?pc=6&psc=30&p=730&i=38842&pkg=38842&offset=0

USB SD/Transflash™ Card Reader MC100
Transfer data from your TransFlash™ card to your PC through your USB (2.0) port. Compatable for SD, MMC, Mini SD and TransFlash™ cards. Ideal for the transfer of video and music files.

~~~~~~~VERSUS~~~~~~~~

USB Data Cable UC600
Connect you phone to your PC via the USB port for transfering data, etc.

http://direct.motorola.com/ENG/Web_accessories_detail.asp?Country=GBR&language=ENG&productid=29250&strPrimaryOption=Acc&lSecondaryOption=16

Hands0n
2nd January 2006, 10:02 AM
I have not got a C975 myself nor played with one but the several Motorola 3G handsets that I have had all behaved the same in respect to connectivity.

Taking the 2nd option first; The USB Data Cable UC600 will give you the potential to transfer items from both the SD/Transflash card and your phone's own internal memory. If you're lucky, when you connect your handset it may look like another disk drive on your PC. BUT it may not, in which case you may need some software to accomplish this. It does not do this with my A1000 I have to run Motorola Desktop Suite to see its file structures - C: = phone memory, D: = Transflash. The next item on the page is Motorola PhoneTools and that is what would be needed. It looks like PhoneTools comes with the Motorola Data Cable.

The Card Reader MC100 will only allow you to transfer stuff to and from the SD/Transflash card itself. You will have to remove the card from the handset itself and insert it into the reader to perform the transfers.

Note, it is often very much quicker to transfer files between PC and SD/Transflash using a separate reader such as the MC100.

steve9025
2nd January 2006, 11:01 PM
Note, it is often very much quicker to transfer files between PC and SD/Transflash using a separate reader such as the MC100.

The improvement in transfer times that the separate readers offer must be quite substantial to be worth shelling out twice as much again for!

Ty btw. Ended up using eBay to buy a "TRANSFLASH 128 Mb MOTOROLA MEMORY CARD 128Mb" for £15.50 (inc p&p) and a "Motorola E1000 C975 USB Data Cable + Discs" for £6.

More details in case any of you gadget-addicted loons are interested :D:
===================
"High quality USB Data Cable. This USB data cable enables you to connect your mobile phone to your computer for: Wireless internet access, Sending and receiving email, FTP (Uploading and downloading files), Downloading Music / Pictures / Ring tones, Editing your phone book / SMS, Synchronizing calendar entries. In order for your usb data cable to perform the above functions.

Bonus Software Supplied on 2 x Cd Discs, Includes Driver and Application Software, Logos, Ringtones, Wallpaper etc.

We guarantee this cable is 100% compatible with the models listed or your money back."
==================

3GScottishUser
3rd February 2006, 07:51 PM
I have used a Motorola c975 and its best use is as a digital camera/music storage device.

The transflash is very fiddly and requires to be fitted with some care as it sits in a bay with a flimsy aluminuium cover which seems to come off easily. The transflash itself does not get held in place in the housing, it merely covers it once you place it in position and the battery holds it down.

Motorola's software works quite well for file exachange between the c975 and a PC and the transflash when installed overrides the phone's internal memory. You can view and move files with motorola's software using a USB lead. Not sure if its supplied but I already had one supplied with an earlier a835. The software for the a835 or the v600 will work with the c975 and whilst its sold by Motorola is freely available on the Internet.

The USB lead is about £12 if you shop around (use google.co.uk).

Good hunting and I hope the c975 delivers for you.