View Full Version : Mini SD for Sharp 903

kazza
2nd January 2006, 03:54 PM
Hi all and Happy New Year. Just bought a 2gb Mini SD ready for my Sharp 903 and thought I'd start filling it up. However, it simply won't register on my PC. I bought it from www.mobymemory.com and it came with a usb reader and an SD adaptor. Anyone else had a problem with these? :mad:

Ben
2nd January 2006, 04:15 PM
Hm. Have you tried formatting the card in the handset first? Then insert it into the card reader and see if it comes up in Windows.

kazza
4th January 2006, 10:08 AM
yeah - phone won't even recognise card so am sending it back for a replacement.

kazza
7th January 2006, 02:59 PM
:mad: Got a replacement card which will work fine on the pc. However, even though the phone will format it and show it, it won't show any of the music etc I have put on it. Does anyone know if the 903 just isn't compatible with a card over a certain size? It will save photo's taken on the phone to the card and show them, just nothing added on the PC.
I have used the exact same method to put stuff on the 64mb card and it all worked fine!

Gagz
8th January 2006, 06:23 PM
It should work with a 2gb card, did you put the content in the right folders?

kazza
9th January 2006, 09:35 AM
The phone will say it has formatted the card and will even save a picture taken with the camera onto it. However when it goes in the pc it does not show any of the files the other formatted card shows. I tries copying these accross but this doesn't work either.
I think maybe 1gb is the maximum memory the phone can handle, unless anyone knows better?:confused:

Gagz
9th January 2006, 02:51 PM
Heres a thought but is the little slider thing on the side of the SDcard set to lock ? this has happen to a few people its set to lock hence why the PC wont read the files on the card. Just click the little switch thingy the other way and put it in ya PC again :)

kazza
11th January 2006, 11:03 AM
No it isn't. I have now had a new handset as had a few probs with the first one and the same thing happens. Am going to return it and try a 1gb card instead.

3g-g
11th January 2006, 03:25 PM
I did hear a wee while ago that some devices, smartphones, PDAs and the like could only cope with a 1Gb card as the max. Apparently some units can't address a 2Gb correctly so you get the odd save, or when you put it in a device/PC that can address the card correctly nothing can be found. It may be you've got some duff equipment, on the other hand it may just be that the handset can't cope with such a large memory source quite yet.

Sambo
23rd March 2006, 06:43 AM
Hi guys,

I'm having a simliar problem, bought 1 gb sandisk card, formatted in the handset as per the instructions in the user guide. Works fine, but no PC seems to be able to recognise either via sd port or USB card reader. Any drivers or anything I need to check? Cheers in advance, Sambo

Ben
23rd March 2006, 11:22 AM
Hello, welcome to Talk3G :)

If you format the card in the PC does it still work in the handset? Or are you not able to get the computer to detect its presence at all?

Sambo
24th March 2006, 01:21 AM
Hi Ben,

Cheers mate.

To be honest I haven't tried that way around only because the manual says to format it in the phone for the file structure etc. I've tried in a mates laptop with SD slot and it doesn't detect it at all. Just bought the 5-in-1 Sandisk mini SD USB card reader and still no joy. I actually can't try formatting it in the PC at the moment as I don't have a USB cable to get the data off my phone (they haven't got any in Oz at the moment!) but I'll give it a whirl when I can back the data up. Cheers for your help.

Sambo

Ben
24th March 2006, 01:23 AM
It's a curious problem. Try and find someone else with the same phone and try their memory card both in your handset and PC - you never know, there could be some sort of bizzare fault on the card. Either that or your phone is formatting the cards dodgy... try formatting it in someone elses Sharp.

So may combinations! lol.

Sambo
24th March 2006, 03:34 AM
Few good options there, I shall endeavour to find some one with the same phone. Only recently out over here and don't know anyone else with one, but will try what I can.

Thanks again :)

Hands0n
24th March 2006, 07:26 AM
It may well be that the Sharp is formatting the card to a non-standard, and from what I read that does sound very likely. It should format like a floppy disk i.e. FAT format. The PC will also read FAT32 and NTSC but as far as I know no mobile phone will.

Mostly, formatting with the handset is just to make sure that the correct directories/folders are placed on the SD card (i.e. images, audio, video etc). As yours appears to be doing the same as the originator of this thread (kazza) it does rather read like the Sharp is the culprit. I've not got a 903 to play with so cannot validate this though.

If it is indeed the Sharp 903 formatting the SD to a non-PC standard then you're stuffed as far as reading the card from anything other than a PC-connected Sharp 903.

Do let us know what you find, please.

alby
26th July 2006, 02:00 PM
Hi

I know this is a bit late but it may help.
I have a 2 gb card and it works ok, the only problem is that it takes a very long time to save a photo.

Ben
26th July 2006, 03:24 PM
Hey,

What card did you buy? Different cards have different transfer rates, so saving a large photo on a cheap card could be sluggish.

dyfi417
4th September 2006, 11:31 AM
This is a bit late but a well.
I’ve red all the replies and i think there is a fault on the phone. I have a sharp 903 phone and it came with a 64 mb card witch is hardly enough for general use. So I decided to buy a 2 GB card and I’ve had the same problem! When I format the card everything is fine but when I take a picture it takes forever to save. Then when I try to view the pics on my computer nothing seems to be on the card at all. If you found the problem please reply.
Thanks!