View Full Version : Z500/Z500v Secrets?

CybaCowboy
3rd January 2006, 06:38 AM
Anyone know any secrets for the Z500/Z500v, such as hidden menus and features?

CybaCowboy
7th January 2006, 02:46 AM
I found some secret codes!

Enter these codes whilst on the "stand-by" screen...

* Firmware Version: *#1234#
* FTA Hardware Version: *#2222#
* FTA Software Version: *#1111#
* Test Mode: *#9998*324#

Anyone know any other "codes" or secrets that work on the Z500/Z500V?

maxspank
7th January 2006, 04:34 AM
Watch out for the phoney SP unlock code!!!

There is a phoney unlock code going about (*2767*3855#) saying that will unlock your phone to use any sim. Actually what this does is resets your phone!! You'll lose most of what was in the phone memory!!

Marqnet
7th January 2006, 10:23 AM
Good find Cyba

3GScottishUser
7th January 2006, 12:10 PM
I have used a code to unlock my Z500 and it works!!

I think you may have to retype the code each time you need to change SIM but I can confirm the method is 100% effective as I have used both an 02 and Virgin SIM in my Z500.

Ben
7th January 2006, 01:09 PM
What was the code? Was it generated for your specific handset or was it the one posted above?

3GScottishUser
7th January 2006, 02:53 PM
1 Enter code *7465625*28782# without a sim in the phone
2 Phone will display "Auto Subset Lock: Activated!"
3 Enter code *7465625*28638# without a sim again
4 Phone will display "Auto Network Lock: Activated!"
5 Now insert the sim and enjoy! Phone is Unlocked!

Worked a treat for me!!

maxspank
7th January 2006, 10:38 PM
yeah it does work! Thanks 3GS!

3GScottishUser
8th January 2006, 12:42 AM
No probs.... Just use it every time you want to change SIM in the Z500.

Neat little workaround.

CybaCowboy
9th January 2006, 04:03 AM

There is a phoney unlock code going about (*2767*3855#) saying that will unlock your phone to use any sim. Actually what this does is resets your phone!! You'll lose most of what was in the phone memory!!

Fortunately I'm with Vodafone who will unlock their phones without fee if you just ask them (they only lock their 3G phones though)...

The one you've gotta watch out for is "Fake Security" (Debug Screen-->Phone control-->Fake Security)- I turned it on and I couldn't make video-calls (didn't try voice-calls)!

It worked as soon as I turned it off again...

Good find Cyba

That took a hell of a lot of effort to find that...

You'd be surprised just how difficult it is to find "secrets" for a modern Samsung phone (most of the codes I found were for very old Samsung phones)!

maxspank
11th January 2006, 12:00 AM
Fortunately I'm with Vodafone who will unlock their phones without fee if you just ask them (they only lock their 3G phones though)...

unfortunatley I'm with vodafone UK who lock all their phones, and charge £20 to unlock the phone unless you've had it more than a year, in which case its free

CybaCowboy
11th January 2006, 04:03 AM
unfortunatley I'm with vodafone UK who lock all their phones, and charge £20 to unlock the phone unless you've had it more than a year, in which case its free

Vodafone trialed a fee-based unlocking system a long time ago, but scrapped it after about a year...

They they went on to the "we'll unlock it for free if you ask us" system, which was in operation until about two years ago, meaning that all of their phones are sold unlocked!

According to Vodafone, their 3G/UMTS phones are locked and like before, can be unlocked for free if I ask them, but I let a friend use his SIM in my Z500V this morning and even though it was from a different network it worked!

Maybe I just got lucky, or maybe they've scrapped the locking idea again...

I think they may have scrapped the locking idea as I personally believe that the fact that they offer unlocked phones in all cases is of appeal to at least a small group of customers.

In Australia, it's only ever been pre-paid (pay-as-you-go) phones that have been locked, with all of the carriers (except for Vodafone as per above) charging a small-moderate unlocking fee...

The two exceptions are 3 and Orange- Orange lock all of their phones to their (CDMA) network and won't unlock them; 3 lock all of their phones and charge roughly four times the amount the other networks do to unlock them (and even then they only unlock mainstream phones, such as Sony Ericssson's and Samsung's)!

Unlike most of Europe, unlocking phones "under-the-table" is a very rare trade here, so if you don't know the "right" people you're usually stuck with paying the applicable fee to your carrier...

Ben
11th January 2006, 09:39 AM
Perhaps here in the UK we're just paying the price of a high level of competition. Oh well :( Similarly, though, Three charge a whopping amount to unlock their handsets compared to the other networks - at least someone's showing some continuity ;)

CybaCowboy
13th January 2006, 12:56 AM
MORE CODES!

* Battery information: *#0228#
* IMEI (serial number): *#06#
* Integrity information (?): *#1235789#
* Locking status: *#7465625#
* MP3 test: *#0673#
* Test mode 1: *#9999*0#
* Test Mode 2: *#9998*324# and *#123580#

Anyone know any others?

Also if you know what any other the functions in these menus do, please tell us all...

bluenose3
25th February 2006, 06:18 PM
I found some secret codes!

* Firmware Version: *#1234#
* FTA Hardware Version: *#2222#
* FTA Software Version: *#1111#
* Test Mode: *#9998*324#

Anyone know any other "codes" or secrets that work on the Z500/Z500V?

what do these codes actually do for you phone ??

3GScottishUser
25th February 2006, 06:26 PM
Hiya Welcome to Talk3g.co.uk

These codes are service tests that allow you to view the status of your phone.

The unlocking solution above works perfectly and allows you to use your Z500 on any network without having to pay for a code from the supplying network. Handy if you intend to use a SIM suppplied abroad instead of 'roaming'.

bluenose3
25th February 2006, 06:29 PM
thanks scottish user, I am originally from scotland (glasgow) but I now live in lancashire for my sins !!!!

3GScottishUser
25th February 2006, 07:03 PM
I hope you like your Z500. I like mine and feel comfortable with it on an 18 month contract. I'm about 1/2 way through that now and the phone still feels good and looks as modern as anything around. I suspect I have yet to use all of the functions!!

The modem on the Z500 is brilliant on Vodafone. I have used it on 3G and browsing was pretty swift where I stay.

Good to have another Glaswegian here, we seem to get around a bit.... hope the natives in Lancashire are friendly!!

3g-g
25th February 2006, 07:04 PM
Lancashire, that is abroad isn't it? Just south from the capital of the empire, Glasgow village ;)

elzorro
24th January 2008, 12:36 PM
Hi I bought a Z500V off ebay, ony to find it was simlocked.
Vodaphone were singularly unhelpful, but by resetting the phone this line of code solved my problem and removed the simlock, so it is helpful in this circumstance!
One must "boot" the phone minus SIM, and enter the code in the accessory screen as usual, the phone reboots and 'le voila'!
Cheers
El Zorro

3GScottishUser
24th January 2008, 02:47 PM
Hi, welcome to Talk3g.co.uk. I have one of these which was supplied and sim locked to Vodafone. I used the method detailed above and it has worked without problems using an Orange, 3 and Virgin Sim.

Scroll up and give it a try. :)