View Full Version : 300,000 3G users for Orange UK

3GScottishUser
16th January 2006, 01:03 PM
From Cellular news (16/01/2006):

Orange Has 300,000 UK 3G Users - Expects Progress In 2006

LONDON -(Dow Jones)- Orange, the mobile telecommunications arm of France Telecom, Monday said it expects adoption of third generation, or 3G, services to rapidly increase in 2006 after reporting it has 300,000 users on its 3G network within the UK.

Orange said its U.K. 3G network reaches over 70% of the country's population and the company maintains its target for 1.5 million 3G users by the end of the year.

It said that in the last quarter of 2005, 22% of customers signing up to Orange opted for a 3G tariff, adding that those users subsequently used five times the amount of data than they had previously on earlier-generation handsets.

Orange also said it has expanded its international roaming service to 18 countries.

http://www.cellular-news.com/story/15595.php

getti
17th January 2006, 07:35 PM
300,000 is not bad but i think 3 did better when they launched and they were a brand new network.

Problem with Orange is lack of decent handsets. Take away the 2 Sanyo's, the old LG and Samsung and you have 2 phones (Z500 + K608) and thats about it.

Ben
17th January 2006, 08:14 PM
Of course, Orange have sexy 2G handsets attracting 78% of their customers - the 3G slice is just a fraction of new users they've added to their network. Three, on the other hand, only has a 3G network, and is considerably cheaper than Orange.

I think Orange have done well to get 300,000 considering the handset range. I think their 1.5m target, however, is somewhat pie-in-the-sky right now!

3GScottishUser
17th January 2006, 10:24 PM
Take away anything and you are left with ??????

They launched with a line-up of current handsets from all of the major suppliers.

I doubt if they or any of the other incumbent networks will be fussed about what folks choose to subscibe to... as long as they actually take out a contract. The lesson learned for Orange and the rest is that 3G devices have to be appealing on merit to gain acceptance by 'mainstream' customers. So they will only offer kit that is as good as or better than the best GSM handsets to gain 3G custimers. They still can gain customers with attractive GSM kit, of course...., unlike some others.

3g-g
18th January 2006, 12:54 AM
Problem with Orange is lack of decent handsets. Take away the 2 Sanyo's, the old LG and Samsung and you have 2 phones (Z500 + K608) and thats about it.

What about the 6630, 6680 and n70 and the new SPV? Orange have the K600i if I'm not mistaken? :confused:

Either way I think all the networks are fairly evenly matched for handsets, Voda just pipping everyone else currently while 3 have taken the brunt of the bricks and made 3G look pretty "un-pretty" IMO, luckily all the other guys have had the slinky 2G releases to fall back on as 3GSU points out.

Unless the handset releases come thick and fast from now or 3G tarrifs get a huuuge overhaul on cost savings compared to the equivalent 2G... 1.2million subs within 12 months is a big ask! That's 100,000 a month!

Hands0n
18th January 2006, 09:28 AM
"old" - thats really quite funny, espescially as the handsets are all pretty much 2005's (I dont think any are older!!). Is it just us types who frequent the forums who would consider a 2005 handset old?

The tough nut that Orange and the others have to crack are the hordes of people out there who are still walking about with Nokia 33xx handsets in their pockets. I am amazed at how often I see handets of that era still in use!

Orange will have to up their game in 2006, I reckon.