View Full Version : Cellular Broadcast?

CybaCowboy
17th January 2006, 04:52 AM
How do I activate cellular broadcast on my Z500V?

Ben
17th January 2006, 10:47 AM
"Network settings (Menu 4.6)
Use this menu to select a connection profile to be
used for connecting to the Internet. You can also
make or edit a profile.p. 73
Messages (Menu 5)
Use the Messages menu to send and receive text
messages, multimedia messages, and e-mails. You
can also use WAP push message, Voice mail, and
Cell broadcast message features.
To access this menu, press in Idle mode and
select Messages or press in Idle mode."

Have attached the manual for quick reference. Do you guys use Cell Broadcast for anything interesting?

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200508/20050826172024312_SGH-Z500_UG_Eng_Rev.1.2_050826.pdf

CybaCowboy
18th January 2006, 05:32 AM
"Network settings (Menu 4.6)
Use this menu to select a connection profile to be
used for connecting to the Internet. You can also
make or edit a profile.p. 73
Messages (Menu 5)
Use the Messages menu to send and receive text
messages, multimedia messages, and e-mails. You
can also use WAP push message, Voice mail, and
Cell broadcast message features.
To access this menu, press in Idle mode and
select Messages or press in Idle mode."

Have attached the manual for quick reference. Do you guys use Cell Broadcast for anything interesting?

http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/content/UM/200508/20050826172024312_SGH-Z500_UG_Eng_Rev.1.2_050826.pdf

I don't have the cell broadcast menu!

Is it possible vodafone have hidden this menu (I have the Z500V, which is the vodafone live! with 3G version of the Z500)?

Ben
18th January 2006, 11:35 AM
I can't think of any reason why Vodafone would do that :\ I mean, what harm is there in knowing what area code you're in! Unless the feature isn't supported by your Vodafone... but I find that unlikely as well.

What did you need the feature for?

CybaCowboy
19th January 2006, 05:24 AM
I can't think of any reason why Vodafone would do that :\ I mean, what harm is there in knowing what area code you're in! Unless the feature isn't supported by your Vodafone... but I find that unlikely as well.

What did you need the feature for?

I only want cellular broadcast to display the name of the cell I'm currently using...

In Australia, I can only recall a handful of times when cellular broadcast has been used for anything else, always for only very short periods of time (eg. a particular event).

The way I understand it, vodafone live!/vodafone live! with 3G handsets are global handsets, with the only thing that is different from country-to-country is the settings...

So has anyone got a Z500V and want to confirm if they have the menu mentioned above?

maxspank
19th January 2006, 12:06 PM
You're right CybaCowboy it has been removed from the z500v, which is a bit silly, I've had on all my other handsets. But I suppose it's not an important feature?

3g-g
19th January 2006, 03:32 PM
I remember in the old days, when I got my first mobile on Cellnet, that it was quite cool having the cell broadcast on. It showed the area codes of where you were locally. I belive it was an aid for the customer so that they could have cheaper calls if they were calling a specific area code, for example they were cheaper if calling 0141, 0131 if they were in that area... I think :confused:

Was always something I wanted Orange and one2one to have just for the sake of being geeky!

Ben
19th January 2006, 04:10 PM
Indeed, I remember those promotions! It was an interesting concept - tapping into peoples mindsets about how conventional phone systems operate.

Ben
14th February 2006, 06:25 PM
Update from Vodafone:

"Cell broadcast is not available on any 3G phones (network related) and this is not related to handset make/model"

That's their official line. I have, of course, pointed out that the feature appears to be present in the generic version. Whether broadcast is available on 3G at all, however, is another question.