View Full Version : The Link, unlinked?

Ben
11th April 2005, 02:47 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,176-1562222,00.html

DIXONS, the retail group that owns PC World and Currys, is reviewing the future of The Link, its high-street mobile- phones operation.
The review could lead to a sale of the business, which bankers believe is worth up to £200m.

John Clare, Dixons’ chief executive, is understood to have discussed the future of The Link with Peter Erskine, chief executive of O2, the mobile-phone operator, which owns a 40% stake in the chain.

It is thought that each party can exercise a pre-emption right that would prevent The Link being sold to a competitor of the other shareholder.

Both Clare and Erskine, however, are thought to be confident that a compromise can be reached.

The Link operates through almost 300 stores across Britain, the first of which was opened in 1994. However, the chain had a torrid Christmas trading period, with like-for-like sales falling by 9% in the four weeks to January 8.

Dixons’ share price has plunged sharply in recent weeks as brokers have downgraded profit forecasts on the back of fears that the group will be hard hit by the downturn in consumer spending.

The vast majority of City analysts now have a sell recommendation on the stock.

Philip Dorgan, retail analyst at Panmure Gordon, wrote in a recent note: “In a slowing retail environment, we would expect Dixons to feel the pinch, with a discretionary product range, high average selling price and UK profits that have been flat for five years, despite the consumer boom.”

When Clare was appointed group managing director of Dixons in January 1992, the company’s shares were trading at 51.4p. They closed on Friday at 152¼p.

Jon3G
11th April 2005, 03:21 PM
I used to work for DSG and can say before I left that talks we in the direction of selling The link to another retailer or o2.

Ben
11th April 2005, 03:35 PM
I've never really rated The Link or known their purpose in the mobile retail sector. Still, I guess there are worse multiples out there... Hutchinson should buy them all and turn them into standalone Three-stores :D

Jon3G
11th April 2005, 04:41 PM
now that would a great partnership.

The Link owed by 02 40% and then Hutchison with 60%. O2 provide the backbone to 3's GSM network. That would help 3's chances of becoming a strong network.

Some interesting information

When I worked for DSG this is the order of highest paying network commisions

O2
Orange
T Mobile
Vodafone

now that is interesting