View Full Version : Switching Off

Ben
22nd January 2006, 02:31 PM
Hi,

I wondered if anyone else with the W900i was experiencing it randomly switching off? I find that it usually happens after quickly opening and closing the phone sometimes, and the frequency of the problem has increased dramatically recently.

The phone immediately loses power - screen goes black and phone has to be turned back on via the power button.

Handset is SIM-Free, software C011 prgCXC 1250252 R5AC011 000000

MORPH
22nd January 2006, 06:17 PM
I did have exactly the same problem with my 6680, a firmware upgrade solved the problem.

Ben
22nd January 2006, 08:45 PM
Yeah, mine started doing it also - had the firmware done just before I got the W900i. Unfortunately the update application on the handset says I have the latest firmware version available which means, if it *is* a software problem, that I'm screwed for the short to medium term.

I've emailed The Order anyway... I'd like a replacement if possible.

kai666
22nd January 2006, 08:47 PM
If you haven't the latest firmware, and you switch off 3g, be careful as The latest firmware (from Davinci team) doesn't have the ability to switch the 3g off.

Doesn't randomly switch off though!

Ben
22nd January 2006, 08:55 PM
What firmware number is the 'latest' firmware? If you're talking about 1250057 then I believe my version, 1250252, is actually more recent.

kai666
22nd January 2006, 09:01 PM
yeah got the 1250057 version, but it says i have the latest version when i try updating. I want your version if 3g can be switch off!

Ben
22nd January 2006, 09:42 PM
Lol, hmm, great - me thinks the SE update application doesn't work very well ;) Combine both of our versions together and we might just have the perfect one!

I'll keep you all posted on how The Order treat me in getting this sorted out.

Ben
2nd February 2006, 10:02 PM
Update: The Order did nothing above-and-beyond to assist me, so I've had to send the phone off to ACR Logistics. I've not heard anything yet, and I sent it off a week-and-a-bit ago. Hopefully I'll receive it back during next week and I'll be able to update you all further.

I still maintain that it's a fantastic handset, I'm just miffed that the software (probably) was defunct. Regrettably poor software is becoming increasingly common, and I'm actually yet to have a Sony Ericsson phone that hasn't suffered from software issues.

Edit: Absolutely bloody typical of the useless ACR Logistics people. I'm sorry if you're reading this and you're one of them, but I'm yet to have a satisfactory repair. My software version has changed to R5AX001, but on inserting the memory card... nothing. They've broken the slot so now my memory card, while usable, is impossible to remove from the phone. This means I've got to send my phone away AGAIN! The woman had the complete nerve to remind me that if I'm imagining the problem then they will charge me ~£12!

*gadget*
14th February 2006, 05:27 PM
what is the latest firm/sw of the W900 ?

Ben
14th February 2006, 06:36 PM
Well, taking mine as the 'latest', it'd be: CXC 1250252 R5AX001 000000

I must say, the software seems fine - no problems at all yet. Touch wood.

Hands0n
20th February 2006, 10:01 PM
Did you send it away to get the memory slot repaired? Or are you making do with it as a permanent fitment! Gawd, the nerve of the woman you spoke to. Must be a frustrated primary school teacher. I'm surprised she didn't ask you which end of the phone you were speaking into :D

Ben
20th February 2006, 10:12 PM
Unfortunately the card is still jammed in there. I need to call SE to try and get them to collect the phone (I've already informed them of my wishes via fax) but I've just been so busy lately. I'll get around to it!