View Full Version : Would you buy your kids a 'WePay' phone?

3GScottishUser
27th January 2006, 03:11 PM
Setting aside the obvious higher call costs I tought it would be interesting to see what others thought (especially parents) about this scheme.

Reports from Sweden and Italy where WePay already operates, re long calls made from landlines by kids and employees to 3 handsets, prusumably to gain credits.

I know most folks trust their children but could the temptation be too much for some and it isn't exactly 'stealing' really, some would consider.

Vote in the poll, especialy if you are a parent, and let's see what everone thinks.

Ben
27th January 2006, 03:40 PM
I think the fact that credit earned is only unlocked when the user tops up with an equivalent voucher makes the whole WePay concept largely irrelevant to the consumer. It's no more groundbreaking than O2's Rewards bonuses other than the way the 'reward' is accumulated.

The offer does create a rather strange mentality that could pressure children into trying to receive large numbers of calls and texts in order to get bigger rewards, and in that respect I'd probably favour a simple, cheap PAYG option such as Fresh for children instead.

3GScottishUser
27th January 2006, 05:48 PM
Sadly WePay has one fundemental flaw. It turns any phone not owned by you into a cash machine to provide top-up's for your WePay mobile.

At 16.10p/min for evening calls to 3 from BT lines that means a 1 hour call to gain £5 credit could cost parents £9.66 and they wont know anything about it until the bill arrives and that can be 3 months away!!

Worse for employers who in Sweden found that unscrupulious employees were leaving open circuits to get credits and it can be hard to catch those responsible because as it's PAYG you can be annonymous as you dont have to give any name or address when you buy one over the counter with cash.

I bet we will see tabloid horror stories re WePay within the first 3 months of it's appearance. I doubt if the negative publicity on the horizon will do anything to make 3 an acceptable product for parents especially.

Hands0n
27th January 2006, 07:31 PM
I am suspicious about the potential for abuse and in that respect I would not buy into WePay for my children, or for anyone else for that matter. The proposition is obscure, there are hidden costs greater than the Threepay that I am now used to which heighten my doubts as to the true benefit to the WePay'ee.

I prefer for things to be more in the light, transparent and understandable. For example Orange's scheme of crediting you with a percentage of the previous month's top up, Vodafone's Stop The Clock, O2's Rewards. All are far less ambiguous and as far as I can see have no potential sting in the tail.