View Full Version : Convergence

3g-g
31st January 2006, 12:56 AM
Yep, it's the buzz word of 2006 as far as the mobile operators are concerned, take note!

Offering as much conectivity by more means than just mobile are what the experts believe will be the way forward in terms of revenue and growth for the main operators in the UK and worldwide.

An interesting piece in El Reg:http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/30/vodafone_verizon/ brings to our attention that not all the operators, and the biggest one in the world as mentioned in the article, are best placed to deliver this, it's obvious that some operators will be left at the mercy of leasing space from a 3rd party in order to compete.

We're already begining to see the way things could be in the UK with the coming together of Wanadoo and Orange, in fact we have a forum member experiencing this first hand: https://talk3g.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1935. Later this year it'll be all Orange, both 3G mobile, Broadband and with the livebox offering VoIP calls from home.

Which brings me to the question in the poll. Will you, when, or if it is offered by your network, take all your service requirements to the one company? Do you think being able to speak to one operator who could solve any issue relating to a problem on either medium would be better rather than having to talk to BT about the phone, Vodafone about your mobile and Demon about the Broadband? Would you be happy to have T-mobile 3G, T-Mobile Broadband and T-Mobile VoIP calls at home? Place a vote and leave some comments below.

G.

Hands0n
31st January 2006, 08:33 AM
Could have done with a more neutral option also but I voted "No" at the moment.

I do not believe that convergence of service provision is necessarily a nett benefit to the customer. Not the model that we've seen so far, which seems centred on grabbing as much cash from the customer as possible with not an awful lot back in return. True, the full converged model company is not in existence yet, and Orange have their work cut out, as do the others, in gaining such an operation. But will it truly be so good for us? Or will it merely be British Telecom reincarnate many times over?

In considering choice and selection, I am not [yet] convinced that handing all of my business to a single provider will work to my financial advantage.

In practical terms - the Customer Service (CS) experience is one that received a lot of chat on the forums and elsewhere. The companies putting together a converged offering will have to pay keen attention to their CS efficacy. I would be in dread of having to deal with a CS that was weak and ineffective for the support of my total communications capability. Far better, I believe, to have safety alternatives and back-ups available - not possible if embracing converged offerings.

So, for now, I am a waiter and watcher. I would like to see fierce competition and convergence bring true economies and efficiencies to the Customer, while delivering reasonable profits to the providing businesses.

3GScottishUser
31st January 2006, 09:17 AM
This is a difficult one I agree. I'm not sure if one supplier is the answer and folks will only change to that option if and when package prices offer better value and allow them the same flexibility they have presently.

Telephone services, DSL, VOD and VoIP will converge and that could present some interesting options finally breaking the duopoly of cable and BSkyB's distribution of multi-cahnnel TV but I am not convinced that mobile services fit with the above. I suppose one could argue that you could gain access to the mobile sports highlights if you buy the home sports package but I'm not sure that the mobile entertainment services are appealing enough yet to have any real market effect.

The above said, convergence is on the agenda for sure. I'm not 100% convinced it'll relate to all the above services being supplied by one company but I'm sure the real convergence issue will be the reduction in the number of operators in the TV Distibution and telecoms market. There is no sustainable growth for 5 UK mobile networks and all the MVNO's. I suspect the number will converge to 4 and possibly to 3 eventually. Some of the merged networks may actually be multi service providers offering 3G, DSL, etc but I suspect there will be a demand for single focus mobile telephony companies for many years to come to respond to the needs of all of those who dont buy home based communication and entertainment services.

Ben
31st January 2006, 11:02 AM
I voted yes, but it's more of a vote in theory than in practice. Certainly for my personal needs I'd probably find it nice and easy if one network, such as Vodafone, were able to provide for my communication needs in a converged way. Of course, not having a traditional ISP under their belt, Vodafone would have to offer such services using HSPA/Wi-Fi/Wi-MAX. The massive advantage of being tethered to a wirefree provider would be that the services are nomadic, giving me the freedom to take my services anywhere I wanted in the country and possibly abroad.

With so many players throwing down for the DSL competition, such as Sky and BT, for Video on Demand, I very much doubt that the mobile networks entering the wired space will be a success. Keep it wireless and it might just work.

Yssybyl
31st January 2006, 11:26 AM
I vote no - I don't like the idea of a single point of failure with all my means of communication. I find that bundles look like a cheaper option but enable corps to sneak in a lot more restrictions into contracts and thus mask hidden charges. Not that I'm saying that Vodafone is likely to be a failure point :)

I just prefer the choice to find the right package for me. I'm not one to put all my eggs in one basket and don't want to be forced into an all in one package - my 3g service is mainly for incoming calls and (minor) internet on the move (so I'm on a very low monthly contract) I don't use voip but my broadband costs are quite high (and before anyone suggests anything it is the cheapest I can get for what I need ;) ) so would Vodafone force me to have a "high user" package for my phone just to get the broadband I need? I expect their marketing would push me into that category. It would have to be a very, very financial attractive option for me to consider converging...

whatleydude
21st April 2006, 12:05 PM
I thought I'd revive this topic..

What with NTL/Telewest soon becoming Virgin Media (or whatever they decide to call themselves) how long will it be before you can combine your Mobile phone bill onto your internet/cable/home telephone bill?

I had Telewest installed at home yesterday.. and after doing some research and some thinking I figured it wouldnt be long until Virgin became some kind Nectar brand..

Like - ok, bear with me, you get your tv/phone/internet through their cable line.
Which in turn gives you points which you can exchange for mobile minutes?
Or maybe spend money in a virgin megastore and get virgin minutes too (i think they do this already).
But whats to stop this turning it into a monthly thing..

At the end of each month Virgin tell you how many points you've earned using their product and you can choose how to redeem them:
Megastore Vouchers, Mobile Minutes.. hell - even Virgin Air Miles!

And if thats the way things will go in the future.. and imo it probably will..
Then what can/will the other networks do to combat it?!

Discuss!
:)

Hands0n
21st April 2006, 12:56 PM
Its a tough call for the other networks as the Virgin brand is internationally famous and respected. My concern would be any likely watering down of the brand - but I can't believe that Branson has not considered this in the deal. Certainly, the notion of accumulating Virgin Points to consume as any of those you've suggested is tantalising. How could the others compete on an even footing? Probably, they cannot. It will cost them in some way with a reciprocal deal with airlines and other distributors to even try.

I am not convinced that I would for an all-in-one deal, but I must admit, what you suggest above does rather weaken my resolve somewhat :)