View Full Version : Orange Launch Edge In Uk!

getti
1st February 2006, 12:54 PM
Orange today launched the UK's first live EDGE network, providing its customers with faster data speeds when using advanced mobile services such as email-on-the-move, the Internet, and music and video downloads.

For more info check Today On 3G (http://www.todayon3g.co.uk)

Ben
1st February 2006, 05:21 PM
Fantastic news, it's about time we got EDGE here. I wonder if any of the other networks will be forced into launching it? I mean, it doesn't look good for Vodafone's business side that Orange offer greater 3G coverage and faster 2G coverage where the 3G runs out (theoretically of course, Orange have 'launched' with a relative handful of sites enabled).

Anyone know if there's any indication on the handset when in an EDGE enabled area?

getti
1st February 2006, 05:34 PM
yep i have just found out.

On a Nokia when you are on GPRS you get a little 'G' symbol under your signal. If you are in 3G then you get a '3G' in the same location.

However if you are in an EDGE area you get a little 'E'.

To activate on your SIM phone up Customer Services and ask for it to be added

Ben
1st February 2006, 05:54 PM
Customers need to call up and ask for it to be enabled on their accounts? Isn't that all kinds of stupid? Mhm...

Still, it's a step in the right direction, GPRS speeds drive me loopy.

crowfield99
1st February 2006, 06:10 PM
I just been on to Customer Services, didn't have a clue what I was talking about and said its not ready in the UK yet? Later on in the year? Its only avail. in places like France etc atm.

Ben
1st February 2006, 06:58 PM
I just been on to Customer Services, didn't have a clue what I was talking about and said its not ready in the UK yet? Later on in the year? Its only avail. in places like France etc atm.
I was actually going to write in my last post "I almost want to call CS just to hear them not have a clue what I'm talking about" but removed it before I submitted the post! How hillarious :)

I can't see why it wouldn't just 'work' if you're in an enabled area anyway to be honest... having to enable every single subscriber manually at their explicit request would be a complete and utter waste of time.

3g-g
1st February 2006, 09:59 PM
If you have an EDGE compatible handset, and you're in an EDGE enabled cell using data, you'll automaticly make use of the enhanced service for your data. About 3 times faster than bog standard 2G GPRS, obviously the load on the cell in terms of traffic will alter the speeds that you're data comes down at as well as the radio conditions for transmission. You're already a data subscriber, you don't need to add anything to your account. It's just an enhancement to the way the network delivers it to you :)

bsrjl1
1st February 2006, 10:14 PM
If only they'd do the same for 3G. Or at least let you get a USIM!

Ben
1st February 2006, 10:35 PM
If only they'd do the same for 3G. Or at least let you get a USIM!
Here here! If you want something to be successful it needs to be everywhere. There should be no effort required in obtaining a 3G-capable SIM card.

Thanks for clearing up the access issue, 3g-g. I may have to go hunting myself some time :p

Hands0n
1st February 2006, 10:44 PM
Have Orange lost it or what? They used to be so with it, on the ball, all sensible like! How they're handling the user conversion to 3G is laughable (by comparison with Vodafone) and now this re EDGE (3g-g's good info notwithstanding).

My question though is "Is EDGE too little too late in the UK marketplace?". Other nations have had EDGE for some time, well ahead of any 3G rumblings, and understandably so. But why bother here? Is the increased cost of implementing EDGE not a bit of corporate folly? How many 2G subs have EDGE compatible handsets? And of those, how many are likely to be using data (GPRS being the domain of the few rather than the masses, given the way it is [historically] tariffed).

Or is this merely France Telecom misreading/misunderstanding the UK market and wasting their time and money getting this up and running here?

crowfield99
2nd February 2006, 12:47 AM
Yeah I agree, but I suppose its better now than never. I will step mine down to 2.5G to see if an "E" appears on my phone. Might not be lucky enough to have EDGE put in here.

3g-g
2nd February 2006, 01:04 AM
Have Orange lost it or what? They used to be so with it, on the ball, all sensible like! How they're handling the user conversion to 3G is laughable...

My question though is "Is EDGE too little too late in the UK marketplace?". Other nations have had EDGE for some time, well ahead of any 3G rumblings, and understandably so. But why bother here? Is the increased cost of implementing EDGE not a bit of corporate folly? How many 2G subs have EDGE compatible handsets? And of those, how many are likely to be using data (GPRS being the domain of the few rather than the masses, given the way it is [historically] tariffed).

Or is this merely France Telecom misreading/misunderstanding the UK market and wasting their time and money getting this up and running here?

*Nerve touched... jumps to defence* :p

The only reason EDGE is being rolled out is as a compliment to 3G, in no way is it being marketed as a step up to 3G or in any way a substitute. If you're a data user (as I am) and you're already begining to rely on the 3G speeds you're used to then, like me, the times I'm without 3G coverage and have to rely on normal GPRS I'm almost for flinging the laptop against the wall for the length of time it takes to do anything. At the moment Orange are leading in terms of 3G coverage (Three excluded for the moment), however, most people that use 3G data services, i.e. datacards, are mobile, they move about. EDGE is a quick, easy and cheap way to get increased faster data over the air without the waiting for planning, and permission to get a Node B out, along with the new antennas, more feeders and increased link capacity, which means RA planning etc. All you do is change a couple of units within an exsiting 2G BTS. It's only going to be an interim solution, or placed in outlying areas where the population is sparce. 3G is the way forward, EDGE is only here to help you along! ;)

3g-g
2nd February 2006, 01:09 AM
Yeah I agree, but I suppose its better now than never. I will step mine down to 2.5G to see if an "E" appears on my phone. Might not be lucky enough to have EDGE put in here.

If you have 3G coverage at home then you won't have EDGE coverage. What's the point? You already have the fastest connection, you don't wanna go back in time to old technology! UMTS all the way, not GSM! :)

Hands0n
2nd February 2006, 07:44 AM
EDGE is only here to help you along! ;)

Thanks for the defence ..... errr .. I mean .... explanation ;)

I suppose that if it is a "cheap as chips" solution to beefing up 2G data speeds then why not. But how many EDGE compatible handset models are there in the UK marketplace? In the absence of EDGE I cant see the point in selling them, unless of course its simply a matter of manufacturing economics, running a single production line rather than several. Looking around my small collection of 2G handsets there isn't a single one as far as I can tell (SE T610, Nokia 3330, SE T68, Samsung T100 and A800, SPV C500). But these are, admittedly, a few years old - are the current crop of 2G handsets generally EDGE compliant (i.e. Samsung D500/D600)?

It all rather seems rather too late to me, granted that 3G coverage is hardly nationwide yet. Data users once sampling 3G speeds will likely never want to experience regular GPRS ever again :D Maybe I am being the forum Luddite for tonight :) :)

Ben
2nd February 2006, 07:58 AM
If you have 3G coverage at home then you won't have EDGE coverage. What's the point? You already have the fastest connection, you don't wanna go back in time to old technology! UMTS all the way, not GSM! :)
That's quite interesting. In the details Orange released they mention "Orange tested the EDGE network throughout 2005 and now has 300 network sites enabled for EDGE across the UK. Orange intends to have over 1,500 sites enabled for EDGE by the end of the year." So 1,500 sites, that's somewhere between a fifth and a tenth of all their sites, yeah? That's going to see a lot of areas getting EDGE but not 3G. Can we assume that areas receiving EDGE are those where it is not economically viable to provide 3G?

getti
2nd February 2006, 07:31 PM
Also remember that these next 2 years will be HSDPA launched in the UK so who will want EDGE when you can get 1mb on your mobile?

3g-g
2nd February 2006, 08:03 PM
...1,500 sites, that's somewhere between a fifth and a tenth of all their sites, yeah? That's going to see a lot of areas getting EDGE but not 3G. Can we assume that areas receiving EDGE are those where it is not economically viable to provide 3G?

1500 sites, it's a bit less than a 10th. TBH I know areas now that have been upgraded to EDGE and then half a mile up the road is a Node B, so no, EDGE in the area doesn't mean no 3G coverage. You may find that some sites can't get the permissions to install a 3G BTS, acccess, space on the ground for another big white cab etc, so EDGE is added to benefit the customer, used as an infill so the data speeds are kept up. My understanding is that EDGE will, in the main, be in the remoter areas, where perhaps there's not such a big population count. It'll be the same for all the operators if any more decide to roll out EDGE coverage, they've paid the big bucks for those UMTS licences, so there'll be no way they're not going to put out as much equipment as they can! If you don't have 3G coverage where you are now, no matter what network you're on, I'd expect to see it at one point in the future.

crowfield99
4th February 2006, 10:45 PM
I did do a test (here in South Manchester) and here are the results.

1) I stepped down to 2G, no E appeard.
2) I went on to Orange World and no E appeard.

I will just have to drink a lot of cherry coke to get the e numbers up.

Failure :( Oh well, one day! :D

miffed
17th February 2006, 04:46 PM
Just tried my Orange sim in my MDA Vario - no sign of the Edge indicator here

Not to worried though , Orange still have that Bizarre system where they charge you for the data you use :mad:

I know where my bread is buttered , I'll stick to o2 , once again :)