View Full Version : 02 Abolish UK-Ireland Roaming Charges

3GScottishUser
8th February 2006, 11:50 AM
From RTE News (08/02/2006):

O2 will abolish roaming charges between the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland for its 1.6 million customers from April. The company has also abolished roaming charges across the UK and Ireland for its business customers.

From April, roaming between here and the North will be scrapped on O2's network for all its pre-pay and post-pay customers. These means that these customers will not be charged for calls they receive while roaming in Northern Ireland.

Pre-pay customers will pay a new flat fee of 39 cent for calls and texts made in Northern Ireland and back to the Republic. All Irish numbers and Northern Ireland landline numbers will be charged at this new flat rate.

O2 Ireland's post-pay customers, while roaming in the North, will not be charged for calls they receive. They price they will pay for calls made in the North will be the same as their domestic rate, depending on what price plan they are on.

O2 says that more importantly, the new all-island pricing initiatives will end inadvertent roaming for O2 Ireland customers in the border counties. This has been made possible through collaboration between O2 Ireland and O2 UK.

http://www.rte.ie/business/2006/0208/o2.html

solo12002
8th February 2006, 12:40 PM
Once again fast of the mark with this news, you beat me to it.

At long last one of the networks has done some thing to stop these dam silly charges, I live in Northern Ireland if you were close to the border either in the south or the North you could of been in the postion to pay roaming charges, depending on what cell your mobile was hitting. What made it worst was 99.9% of the time you were still on the same network as O2, Vodafone and Three all run networks in the South of Ireland and in the UK.

Com Reg, Of Com and local MPs from both sides of the border have been pushing for something to be done for years and the last information I had was they had to the end of March to look at doing something.
I know pressure has been put on the networks to take action , but I think the step O2 has take will come as one hell of a shock to the other networks never mind us users or com Reg and of com.

WELL DONE o2, you have taken a brave step, one I think is over and above what Com Reg and of Com were expecting, and it shows as a network you are prepard to change.

I would like the networks to take this much further in banding al roam charges if you are on thier network no matter were you are. despite this WELL DONE 02:) :) :) :)

3GScottishUser
8th February 2006, 03:29 PM
I suspect Vodafone have already gone someway towards this with Passport but for an Island the 02 approach seems the best solution especially when the two countries have companies that are so closely related.

The 'roaming' factor should make quite a difference for 02, a real selling point for those in both parts of Ireland. The rest will have to consider their options carefully and swiftly.

crowfield99
8th February 2006, 11:41 PM
I would like to see the idea of Vodafone Passport to be taken across onto 02, Orange & T-Mobile. All have networks abroad.

solo12002
8th February 2006, 11:42 PM
" I suspect Vodafone have already gone someway towards this with Passport but for an Island the 02 approach seems the best solution especially when the two countries have companies that are so closely related"

I agree the downside from the Vodafone is you have to pay a flat rate of 75p, this may work out dearer if you only want a quick two min call @ €39pm. I note their is information on the oe Irish site but none on the Uk or the 02 .com site were they caught of hop to?

solo12002
9th February 2006, 11:03 AM
Well after all the talk. I now understand that roaming charges will not apply yo you if you are on 02 in the south or Ireland, however it has not been confirmed this will be the case if you are on 02 in the North of Ireland.

What a balls up by o2

Hands0n
9th February 2006, 03:38 PM
This is well done by O2, but I offer that glowing praise with a slight amount of cynicism [for that alone please pardon me] for the following reason.

Today's news (reported in the Daily Mail) is that EU is stepping up pressure on the mobile ops to remove all International Roaming charges for phoning the UK from within the EU. I believe this to be a first step before all intra-EU roaming charges are abolished. If the mobile ops don't comply they will eventually find themselves being compelled to by regulation - not good for a de-regulated industry.

The abolition of Roaming Charges, I believe, will stimulate the mobile industry revenue from travellers like nothing before. Why they simply have not been able to see this particular wood for the sparse amount of trees is a mystery. Mobile phone users have effectively been priced out of using their handsets when abroad in all but the more needy cases, and then been punitively charged for the "privilege".

Of course, telecommunications should always be a revenue-generating business. But it should never be charged as a privilege.

Nonetheless, an excellent piece of news from O2 and they really are to be congratulated for this first step.

DaveC
9th April 2006, 08:43 PM
Just to say that O2 PAYG now has an Ireland Bolt On at £1.99
Calls and WAP are same price as Mainland and no incoming call charges