View Full Version : How many Virtual networks are there in the UK?

Hands0n
11th April 2005, 10:26 PM
I can only think of Fresh, Easymobile and Virgin. What others are there that we know of? All the above are hosted by T-Mobile afaik.

Errr, and afaik none of them are 3G (yet!) - so maybe I'm way off topic here :)

Ben
11th April 2005, 10:32 PM
I think Virgin plans to go 3G this year, probably when T-Mobile does.

Tesco is a pretty big virtual, and that's on O2.

I don't *think* Orange or Vodafone have virtual networks, but I know Vodafone is planning it's own value brand to compete with T-Mobile and O2's virtuals.

Hands0n
11th April 2005, 10:51 PM
I'd forgotten about Tesco. Their tarrif (http://www.tescomobile.com/help/pricelist.aspx) does'nt look so good against the current competition right now ...... Fresh and EasyMobile slaughter it at the mo. Even Threepay is better (in parts). They're going to have to come out fighting or risk that part of their business going under (even if they are the worlds 2nd largest retailer).

So, that is four Virtual Networks in full operation right now (3 x T-Mobile and 1 x MMO2). I wonder why Orange and Vodafone have not got into the act. There must be room for more VNs to come on stream, rather like the sheer number of ISPs to choose from these days.

Jon3G
12th April 2005, 10:59 AM
Who do Fresh use?

3GScottishUser
12th April 2005, 12:00 PM
Fresh, Virgin and EasyMobile all use T-Mobile UK

Tesco use 02

BT Mobile and One-Tel use Vodafone

Only Orange appear to stand alone by offering their service exclusively through their own brand.

Ben
12th April 2005, 12:51 PM
Technically speaking, isn't BT Mobile still with T-Mobile? I know Bluephone(?) is in conjunction with Vodafone, but to the best of my knowledge T-Mobile currently home BT-Mobile's subscribers.

3GScottishUser
12th April 2005, 01:03 PM
It is in the process of changeover apparently. All of BT Mobiles customers will be on Vodafone's UK networks by the end of this year.

3g-g
12th April 2005, 07:09 PM
There was a time a couple of years ago that NTL were going to launch a virtual network and it was going to be on Orange. However, knowing people with NTL home lines I can't imagine how they'd of managed (NTL that is) a virtual mobile one along side! :o

3GScottishUser
12th April 2005, 08:19 PM
NTL did do a deal with Orange but on Orange's terms and they ended up simply referring their customers.

Thinking back, NTL wanted the same licence that 3UK won. I suspect it would have bankrupted them, they are in trouble selling assets all over the place because all that investment in cable delivers nothing more than a standard copper phone line can nowadays.

Ben
12th April 2005, 08:21 PM
NTL wanted a 3G licence? Blow me down! At least Hutchison have poured loads of money into Three UK - there's no way NTL could have done that. I get enough people complaining to me about their NTL connections as it is, a 3G mobile company would have been a disaster!

Anyway... Yeah, interesting stuff - looks like all the operators want a virtual doing their cheapy work in an ideal world.

3GScottishUser
12th April 2005, 08:26 PM
NTL lost out to Hutchison in the bidding process.

I suspect they are now thanking the lord they did'nt get it watching HWL bleeding to death.

3g-g
13th April 2005, 12:39 AM
At least Hutch can afford it! Although NTL and 3 CS are probably just as bad as each other... Hmm.. I can smell conspiracy here... are NTL and Hutch one and the same? :confused:

Takamiya
4th May 2005, 05:57 PM
Adding some more....

British Gas uses Vodafone
Sainsbury Mobile uses O2