buffyslay
10th February 2006, 11:31 AM
does anyone know WHY 3 limit the sites you can look at on their
network?

i asked them and got a load of rubbish about 'company policy' they
were unable to say why....

getti
10th February 2006, 12:10 PM
The limited content has always been there since they launched back in March 03.

Everyone hates it and 3 dont seem to be doing anything about it. You can get a Add-On for Mobile Web where you get sites like Amazon, Ebay and BBC on your phone. It costs £2.50 and you get 5mb of data, however this is still limited content.

Or you can use the new Casual User Add-On where you just pay £2 per mb for the same content.

Wireless Web is where you can get to external sites and comes in 2 sizes.

WW 56 is £15 a month and you get 56mb of data
WW 512 is £45 a month and you get 512mb of data

However there have been reports that 3 still limit some sites you cant access when using a laptop so you might want to check that out before you sign up to an add-on

Ben
10th February 2006, 12:21 PM
Hello buffyslay, welcome to Talk3G!

It could, possibly, be argued that Three's limited content setup is a good thing. I mean, all the other networks have open access, so it might be a good thing to have an alternative that is safer for children.

The main reason, I would imagine, is that you are more inclined to purchase directly from Three when it comes to news etc if you're unable to access anything else.

As getti rightly mentions, there are the Wireless Web packages if open data access is a must for you.

solo12002
10th February 2006, 12:27 PM
"so it might be a good thing to have an alternative that is safer for children"

Ah that explains why when i go onto Three undermain screem I get all thes pics of sex sites or under services I get to see myTv when I can look at parts of the female and indeed the male body.

Sorry but for me Threes main screen looks a dam lot more like a playboy screen unlike Vodafone, and o2 who offer some good services.

Im of the option that Three just want to make money no matter what the dirt is, I have visions of dirty old men , watching it just to j off!

solo12002
10th February 2006, 12:32 PM
Just been on Three under services oh look I can watch Jenny Brewster work on her tan TOPLESs for £1.50 (who ever she is)

Gos is this the best Three can do? block open access so you have to look at their crap sites.

buffyslay
10th February 2006, 03:07 PM
WW 56 is £15 a month and you get 56mb of data
WW 512 is £45 a month and you get 512mb of data

this is really bad - if i had known this before i would never have gone with 3 - i bought the web add-on but am still restricted to their sites! its not like its their own 3 sites, but someone out there is saying to me 'you can look at this site, but not another site'

3 - tell me how this differs to what China is making google do?

3 - you are rubbish!

(from the bbc website):mad:
Leading internet company Google has said it will censor its search services in China in order to gain greater access to China's fast-growing market.
Google has offered a Chinese-language version of its search engine for years but users have been frustrated by government blocks on the site.

The company is setting up a new site - Google.cn - which it will censor itself to satisfy the authorities in Beijing.

Google argued it would be more damaging to pull out of China altogether.

While removing search results is inconsistent with Google's mission, providing no information... is more inconsistent with our mission

Google statement

Chinese results toe the line

Critics warn the new version could restrict access to thousands of sensitive terms and web sites. Such topics are likely to include independence for Taiwan and the 1989 Tiananmen Square massacre.

The Chinese government keeps a tight rein on the internet and what users can access. The BBC news site is inaccessible, while a search on Google.cn for the banned Falun Gong spiritual movement directs users to a string of condemnatory articles.

Google's move in China comes less than a week after it resisted efforts by the US Department of Justice to make it disclose data on what people were searching for.

Ben
10th February 2006, 03:44 PM
Google is very different.

Three's approach is a commercial decision, and it's unfortunate that three years after their launch the lack of data is still catching people out.

If you're within the first few days of your contract(?) then I'd advise cancelling and signing up with a different network.

buffyslay
10th February 2006, 04:14 PM
i get what you mean - but its still censorship - it still has a person on the end of the line that says 'yes you can look at this page'

no, cos my contract was in december.... not long now though :-)

solo12002
10th February 2006, 06:15 PM
" its still censorship "

Yes it is, I mean Im not againist anyone looking at what ever sex sites they like as long as no kids involved, how every I thing I should have the rights to see what legal sites i want without being tolded by three that I can only see one site or another site.

3GScottishUser
10th February 2006, 08:06 PM
3's strategy was that their content would be their golden goose. Blocking the Internet assured them that their customers would only view and buy content from them or their partners who they receive commission from.

That proved a no-brainer. Customers want open access but 3 still seem to be trying hard to block access to anything that competes with their (normally overpriced) content.

Its the old story. You get a cheap phone but the cost has to be recouped somehow and content seems to be the method of choice for 3. Others have open access and charge per MB and also have their own content so they win whatever you choose to view.

As a customer you have a choice.