View Full Version : Watch live TV on your mobile?

Yssybyl
13th February 2006, 03:55 PM
Have you got a license?

Take a look at this article from the register:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/02/13/tv_licence_mobile/

Might not be too long before a lot of users - and I think students are the ones who are going to be hit here (as they are the ones most likely to not be covered by a terrestrial license) - start getting fined if this is implemented. Since you can't watch all "free" channels via 3g maybe this should be a cut down license? Or maybe the operators should cover the license fee for subscribers??? What do you guys think???

3GScottishUser
13th February 2006, 05:59 PM
98% of the UK have a licence, so no problem for them. The rest are fine as long as they are viewing it somewhere that has a licence. Students can watch battery powered TV's in halls of residence as long as parents have a licence at home.

It'll be interesting to see how they catch folks using this. Can't wait for the first case to appear in court.

Ben
13th February 2006, 06:38 PM
Students can watch battery powered TV's in halls of residence as long as parents have a licence at home.
Every student 'accommodation', being each students room, needs to have its own television licence, or at least that's what students are told in England.

3g-g
13th February 2006, 06:46 PM
Every student 'accommodation', being each students room, needs to have its own television licence, or at least that's what students are told in England.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/information/students.jsp

It refers to small handheld TVs, like your small Casio numbers. I can't think of many students who'd choose to watch TV this way when you can pick up a 14" TV for not much cash!

This is going to be a whole grey area once mobile TV takes off good and proper, I really can't see how they'll enforce things unless you have to fill out a TV licence form when you buy a mobile that's capable of receiving TV broadcast/operator application specific TV programming.