View Full Version : Rural 3G could be a problem...

3g-g
13th February 2006, 11:57 PM
O2 are begining to hint that total geographical coverage for 3G might never happen. It's something we've already noted here at Talk3G in light of Orange trialing and successfully running 3G services at the 900Mhz frequency. O2 are already on the ball and have noted that the re-use of the 2G spectrum would be the ideal solution to the coverage issues of the new technology. My gut feeling would be that the government wouldn't allow it, and if they did would probably make O2 and Vodafone see out their exsisting 2G licences then auction off that part of the spectrum to the operators again in order to make the playing field fair for all 5. More cash for the government eh?

With the Telefonica acquisition going smoother than a greased eel, according to O2, the operator is focusing its energies on becoming a mobile broadband player.

According to Dave Williams, O2's CTO, the network provider won't be distracted from its 3G path by the likes of EDGE and mobile WiMax.

Speaking today in Barcelona, Williams said: "There's a 20 year payback [for 3G]. The services developed on that aren't there today but 3G is the technology of the future."

He added that the advent of HSDPA - the high speed connectivity technology also known as super 3G - will not provide greater cost efficiencies for the operator but will make the idea of 'mobile broadband' a reality. "HSDPA is probably the 3G we always wanted," he said.

However, there are problems ahead. O2 believes in order to take 3G right across the UK, and into less populated areas, there will need to be some regulatory changes.

He said: "The long-term challenge with 3G will be as it goes further and further into rural areas. We've got to start a dialogue with the regulator on how to reuse 2G spectrum - we will have to be allowed to use 2G spectrum for 3G." According to Williams, getting 3G into the countryside won't be cost effective unless the 2G spectrum the company already owns can be recycled for 3G.

O2's CTO believes that will soon start to happen in the French market. "They do not want anymore cell sites," he said. Without such moves, Williams said, regulators run the risk of fostering another digital divide between 3G have and have-nots.

Rival operator Orange is aiming to fill in the speed gaps in rural areas by rolling out EDGE, a bridging technology between 2.5G and 3G. It's not a strategy that is likely to be replicated by O2, Williams said. "We do not see any huge benefits in customer experience."

http://networks.silicon.com/mobile/0,39024665,39156394,00.htm

crowfield99
16th February 2006, 05:21 PM
I take it at this point we would not be using 2G anyone, it would be 3G Only yeah?

Ben
16th February 2006, 06:47 PM
Unless they can extend 3G coverage to the 2G footprint there's no sign yet that they'll be able to switch off 2G.

3g-g
16th February 2006, 06:53 PM
Yeah, that's it exactly. O2 are aware that the frequency that the 3G networks currently run on are not best suited for covering large areas. They'll of been so used to blanket coverage from their 2G, the lower frequency travelling further and coping with differing terrains better.

What O2 are suggesting is a great idea, the 2G GSM side of things would be switched off, it'd be 3G UMTS services running at the old 2G frequency. We wouldn't notice any difference as users. However, the government are hard pushed for frequency space as it is, and the 2G GSM licences only run for a limited time then the frequency goes back for re-allocation. If O2 and Vodafone managed to migrate all their users onto 3G before the end of the 2G licence, I suppose, in theory they could make use of the frequency for their 3G offerings. Although, I can't see Orange, T-Mob and 3 being particularly happy about that as it would give O2 and Voda an advantage in terms of coverage.

I imagine the government will insist of the 2G licences running their term with the big 4, then they'll reallocate the frequency, quite possibly to the operators again if they pay the cash for it! Chi-ching!!

Ben
16th February 2006, 07:28 PM
Of course, by the time the 2G licences come to expire there may well be other technologies exploding out of the woodwork, like mobile flavours of WiMAX. Technologies like this may well win out for spectrum allocation instead. Whatever happens, I guess it'll be the main networks that'll be bidding for the space... in the words of 3g-g - Chi-ching!!

crowfield99
16th February 2006, 11:21 PM
Its either China/Japan (always get the two mixed up) that have 3G only. How do they get on? I take it they used to have 2.G before 3G? Does anyone know if they get coverage issues with being 3G only now?

Ben
17th February 2006, 12:53 AM
To the best of my knowledge even in Japan (China just decided on its 3G standard afaik) it's complicated. They have WCDMA, a Japan-only digital technology AND CDMA, making it a bit of a minefield! I assume the Vodafone WCDMA, poor coverage and all, is 2100MHz.