View Full Version : 6680: First Impressions

Ben
12th April 2005, 11:04 AM
Wow.

For a start, where my SE Z1010 barely had any signal at all, 2g or 3g, in my office, my Nokia 6680 has 2/3 3G signal and browses so fast I can't quite believe it!

After 5 minutes, I've already downloaded Orange Music Player and all my settings work straight off the bat without the need to call Orange. The buttons have a fantastic feel to them, and the slider on the back is just damn cool :p

I had no idea how tiny these RSMMC cards are! Wow, they're like - tiny! LoL! Full 3G signal now!

Orange Music Player looks sensational - so many tracks. Really impressive.

Right, I'm going to go have a good explore now. See you all later - enjoy the pictures - taken by my 6230.

@NickyColman
12th April 2005, 12:25 PM
i am soooo jelous! it looks a whole lot smaller than what it does from press releases etc!

Jon3G
12th April 2005, 12:57 PM
WOW that is so nice, and it sounds amazing

3g-g
12th April 2005, 07:24 PM
Wow.

For a start, where my SE Z1010 barely had any signal at all, 2g or 3g, in my office, my Nokia 6680 has 2/3 3G signal and browses so fast I can't quite believe it!...

I'm tellin ya, it's a Nokia conspiracy! (Completely unfounded for any legal types reading). Nokia sell all the equipment to build the network, and then sell the handsets to run on it. Now, you wonder why certain handsets have better signal levels then others in the same conditions and places? Hmm...

Not that it really matters. What does matter is that you've got that handset!! Aarrgghh!! There's just no way I can justify £400 for a SIM free. It's so unfair.

mattyboy7110
15th April 2005, 12:50 PM
Now my 6680 is different. My V800 holds on to a 3G signal no matter how small and often drops calls because of it whereas I don't think I've had even a full minute of 3G coverage in my house on the 6680! It made testing it to see if it worked properly a bit more difficult as I had to test it in the garden!

I prefer the fact that the V800 allowed me to select to log onto a 3G signal through the manual network selection and I seem to remember that the Nokia 7600 had a 3G only mode but with this one I have to wait for the phone to find a 3G signal to make a video call!

The software on mine seems quite stable considering how new the phone is and I'm pleased with it - shame there's no automatic keylock though! (I know there are third party apps but they don't work properly and lock the phone when you're in the middle of doing things, like a network search for instance!)

To show the way things are going though, we had 4 of us in the house with 3G capable phones, now it's just me so it's of little use! The other three wanted smaller phones with bigger battery life and more reliable network coverage!

Ben
19th April 2005, 03:05 PM
See, "My V800 holds on to a 3G signal no matter how small and often drops calls because of it" is what I'm getting at. My Z1010 would cling to 3G signal, but it wasn't usable a lot of the time. My 6680, however, has made 3G signal usable in all rooms of my house, sometimes switching back to 2G when needs be, so I can always do what I need to do.

The Z1010 would plain refuse to connect to data in several rooms of the house when it was clinging to 3G. The 6680 can always connect, and will pass between 2G and 3G as many times as it needs to while I'm connected to provide me with optimum speed and reliability.

Not being able to select 3G-only mode is a bit annoying, but as I don't video call often it doesn't really affect me - automatic mode works very well indeed.

One minor annoyance - if ever the phone can't get a data connection on Orange (when it's down for maintenance for instance) then Auto Header Retrieval is automatically disabled with a messagebox displayed on the screen. Seems annoyingly pointless, it should just wait until connectivity is available again.