View Full Version : W800i or W900i

delmontebanana
23rd February 2006, 11:27 AM
Hi all!
My first post :)

I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment cos I recently got a free upgraded O2 W800i (unlocked to all networks) and it's unopened. I've always wanted to get a W900i but they didnt have it as an upgrade option.

However I have been skeptical after reading several reviews across t'internet about it's poor battery life, heavy earphone-radio extention and constant crashes/turning itself off.

Should I keep with my W800i or sell it on ebay and buy a W900i?

I've played with my friends W800i and found it quite nice :) although a bit dated now...

Hands0n
23rd February 2006, 12:01 PM
Hi delmontebanana - Welcome to Talk3G, hope you enjoy your stay with us :)

I cannot comment on the W800i but can say loads of positive things about the W900i that I have on Vodafone. It is, as far as I know, still a Vodafone exclusive handset until March time, then the other networks can push it out. Alternatively, if you've a real burn for one then you can always opt for a SIM-free from the likes of Mobilefun (expect to pay around the £300 mark).

I have had no problems with the W900i crashing or turning itself off. It has functioned 100% since the day I received it. Battery life can be a bit of an issue if in 3G/2G mode and in a marginal area, which will cause the handset to hunt for the best signal between networks - always a big battery drain. But in the area I operate in there is a good degree of Vodafone 3G, battery life is well beyond a calendar day, and I practise a strict regime of charging my handsets up each night - regardless.

What do you mean by "heavy earphone-radio extension" - it is rather bulky, moreso than just a simple cabled headset, but the "blob" mid-cable is functional, so I am not that bothered by it. I'd not call it "heavy", but you can't miss it of course :D The audio quality from the W900i and headset combo is completely on a par with what you'd expect of the Walkman brand. MegaBass does what it does on all the other Sony audio kit, sounds lovely (Bump It by Black Eyed Peas is orgasmic through the headset!).

People with problems with their W900i are probably in need of a firmware update (hardware faults notwithstanding). It is not a big thing to have done, providing there are no issues with ownership or proof of. Often issues are resolved completly by taking the current version of firmware.

So, I'd be happy to recommend the W900i to anyone who wants a phone with those capabilities (Walkman, 2Mpixel Cybershot camera, 3G handset etc.).

Have a shooftie around Talk3G's section on the W900i, you'll find lots of other comments there....

Ben
23rd February 2006, 03:26 PM
Welcome to Talk3G!

I also have plenty of praise for the W900i. My version is generic, I purchased it SIM-Free, and while it did have a problem of switching off it was fixed under warranty by a simple software update. That would suggest that any handset you buy now *should* be fine in the first instance.

Opening and closing the thing takes a bit of getting used to, but it's such a magnificently curious phone - far more exciting than it's rather dull little brother which is basically a K750i - and the sound quality with the bundled headphones is brilliant. I must say I've not been irritated at all by the inline remote - it's very handy.

Beware that currently the W900i is only on Vodafone and so other networks portals may not work with it and they may not be able to send you the settings you need (though settings are available directly from Sony Ericsson). Also bare in mind that to use 3G services you need a 3G capable SIM or USIM card.

Keep us posted on what becomes of your situation!