View Full Version : Major dealer moves to Flext

Ben
23rd February 2006, 06:23 PM
http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/artman-test/publish/article_1214.shtml

Looks like T-Mobile's Flext really does have some power if it's winning dealers over from Three. Mobile seems to think this move is a significant one.

Hugh Symons’ share of 3 connections fell significantly over December and January following the defection of one of its biggest dealers from 3 to T-Mobile, Mobile has learned.

Quay Contact, a Manchester-based outbound call centre connecting ‘several thousand’ connections per month, decided to leave 3 after the big cut in commissions last year.

Sources claimed it opted for T-Mobile after looking at T-Mobile’s Flext promotion, which it is believed is attractive to volume-driven dealers.

3 is understood to be concerned about the number of dealers that have switched focus to other networks and is currently trying to win back many other dealers it lost during December when its commissions dropped.

Oliver Wing, a director at Quay Contact, said: ‘We have switched from one network to another. Business has increased as a result. We’re happy with Hugh Symons and want to have the best offers for our customers.’

Hands0n
23rd February 2006, 06:38 PM
FlexT looks like a reasonable set of plans (all two of them), I can see the attraction, especially the FlexT 35 (£35pcm). The Contract tie-in is for 18 months according to the web site. Are people really going for these longer contracts in great numbers? Its obviously working for Quay Contact, with their impressive connections per month stats.

I rather like the notion of having [effectively] a cash bundle to do with as I wish, rather than the incumbent [ringfenced] tariff methods. Will others follow where T-Mobile lead? Could be interesting.

But these are not small amounts of monthly commitment at £25 and £35 - clearly they are not going for the budget user who is probably catered for with regular PAYG rates.

No mention of FlexT being applicable to their 3G offerings.

Ben
23rd February 2006, 06:53 PM
Are people really going for these longer contracts in great numbers?
I think deals direct with the operators are increasingly 18-month, yes, but I don't think we can get any real indication of how many people this is actually affecting. The Mobile Today tariff tracker shows a few tariffs marked 18-month but there's certainly no landslide towards them in the independent channels right now. Perhaps Flext will change that, or maybe 12-month variants will emerge.

Dealers love for T-Mobile could be short lived once T-Mobile's own retail operation is in full force...

solo12002
23rd February 2006, 07:33 PM
Hugh Symons’ share of 3 connections fell significantly over December and January

I wonder if thats anything to do with the fact that this firm has also been taken over by the Carphonewarehouse during December?

Ben
23rd February 2006, 08:28 PM
I think it'd be more to do with 3 dropping commissions as mentioned in the article as I can't think of a reason why CPW would be particularly in favour of cutting down connections to the network - but hey, who knows.

solo12002
1st March 2006, 09:25 PM
I see T-Mobile have changed their price plans from to day, full details can be found on the T - Mobile web site.

I also note that Three claim to be releasing a 3G datacard for use shorthly. Details may be found here:

http://www.hughsymonscommunications.co.uk/documents/hscm/pdf/3_2006_hscm_pdf_5pric_mar.pdf

3GScottishUser
2nd March 2006, 08:42 AM
Apparently customers are finding the Flext tariffs complicated to comprehend but once they get their head round the £35/month buys 900 X/Net minutes they jump at it!!!

One can see why!!

Looks like 02 and T-Mobile have the cheapest inclusive voice minutes on 3G networks presently.

solo12002
2nd March 2006, 07:37 PM
"Looks like 02 and T-Mobile have the cheapest inclusive voice minutes on 3G networks presently"

Not sure which one 3GScottishUser thinks leads over all, but for me it has to be the o2 18 month contract one, as you get 1000 mins 100/150 texts with free voicemail and the ITS for cheaper roaming.

T-Mobile the network known for free voicemail now charge 10p for it on these plans or its taken out of the 900 mins, which if you are a SME or a havery user of voicemail could cut right into the 900 mins.

Over all if I was offered Three or 02/T-Mobile I have to say three would not get a look in at all.

slalomman
14th March 2006, 01:03 PM
The Flext plan maybe initially difficult to get your head around at first, but marry it with 25% off line rental for life and there's nothing to compete with T-Mobile's current range of price plans (http://www.t-mobileoffers.co.uk), is there? The other big three mobile giants should be quaking in their boots!

solo12002
14th March 2006, 01:10 PM
Slaloman do you work for T-Mobile??

I agree God knows were T-Mobile thought this one up,it sure looks good and Im thinking of switching over myself.Its beats three, vodefone and orange, and o2 on the current price and the way you can use the allowance.

I bet the other networks must be worried about this,even if they start to change their plans for next month, T-Mobile will of picked up a hell of a lot of new ones untill then. No one can match the £27ppm and up to 900 mins, I only wish they had kepted the free voicemail.

it would be nice to know if you can use you allowance for 3g downloads etc, dont see that anywere always refering to Voice Text and MMS?