View Full Version : A cool app from the BBC.

@NickyColman
2nd March 2006, 12:01 AM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/help/4457508.stm

^ The link above is for a new BBC application for your phone that gives you live headline updates. Works with most phones. Its cool.

Ben
2nd March 2006, 12:27 AM
Looks promising... perhaps they have ideas for streaming more content straight to mobiles in the future - I mean, it's a very similar concept to Sky Mobile, just a little less mature. Might give it a go. Nice find!

Hands0n
2nd March 2006, 07:02 AM
Yes, excellent find .... I am a bit of a news hound myself, hate being out of touch.

But I just want to highlight a certain caveat that the Beeb mention

Will it work on any network?
Yes, although you need to be able to access the internet from your device. If you are unsure, ask your network provider about accessing the internet from your device and what data charges apply. Warning! Some network data charges are high.

Apps like this and more will increase in popularity and success when the networks start pricing their data charges to make them more accessible to the population at large.

Terms and Conditions

1. Each SMS message sent to 88822 for this service will cost 20-24p (network charges vary).

2. The BBC does not charge for the application but you will incur data charges at your standard network rate in downloading the application to your handset. Check with your mobile phone network what data charges are relevant for your tariff. Some network data charges can be high.

3. The BBC does not charge for updates of the content in the application but you will incur data charges at your standard network rate for each update. The data is compressed and typical costs are from 0.5p per update.

whatleydude
2nd March 2006, 08:52 AM
Cool - I'm getting this.

But I'm a bit confused however with the following:

"To get the headlines tracker send a text to 88822 and start the message with the word HEADLINES. We will send you back a link which you can use to download the application"

Then four paragraphs down in the Q&A it says..

"How do I get the application?
It is free to download. If you text HEADLINES to 81010 we will send you a link. "

Which one is it?!

whatleydude
2nd March 2006, 10:53 AM
Me again.

Been trying to install this since.. *scrolls up* ..8:52am.

No joy.

Anyone else having any problems?

( on Vodafone with a Shiny N70 )

whatleydude
2nd March 2006, 03:48 PM
DOH!

Just read their compatibility list.

Glaring Ommission?

The N70.

Balls.

Ben
2nd March 2006, 04:36 PM
That sucks!

Nokia's renouned 'Nokianess' for compatibility has been shot to shreds lately, what with the introduction of better resolution screens and bigger screen areas without legacy support and now the switch to miniSD.

Granted, Nokia had catching up to do, but they haven't done it very gracefully.

whatleydude
2nd March 2006, 04:41 PM
Don't talk to me about Mini-SD cards...

I thought my 1GB dv rs-mmc had me sorted for life!

GRRRRR....

Also - on topic - I did email the BBC's feedback section to let them know but I haven't had a response yet. We'll see.

@NickyColman
2nd March 2006, 10:13 PM
My Nokia N70 is working fine with the BBC Tracker!

whatleydude
30th March 2006, 02:10 PM
So yeah - I finally got the BBC thing working.. after much chatting with the people at www.mobizines.com - they do GQ mag, Timeout, Footy365 etc etc.. so I've got more than just the BBC one on there now..

But yeah - because I discovered a fault with the software they offered me a 'reward' of £20 or something from their list of gadgets/boystoys list.. OR a company tour..

So I took the latter!
I spent Tuesday afternoon wandering around the office of RefreshMobile -
(the people responsible for mobizines) ..and I had a good old chat with all their technical staff who were really friendly and were really interested in what I thought of the service etc.. all very exciting.

But yeah - keep an eye out for a *film mag* Mobizine very soon.. wink wink nudge nudge..

Thought I'd share.
:)

3g-g
30th March 2006, 08:35 PM
Sounds like a fun afternoon! I downloaded the app, the big BBC news sound bite when the updates come through has been turned off now, it was getting a bit much, however, people have been very impressed when I've shown them the app, the nice bit of flash with the BBC logo and news24 type earth flying in and out makes most go "ooo". I've prefered this so much I've turned off my Sky news flash alerts... They were really getting to me, I felt they were really milking some news stories for the sake of it, sending a news flash (which costs 12p to the punter) for any old story. *Beep Beep* Breaking news, cat is reincarnation of Elvis. Stupid Murdoch corp. Anyway, no wonder Orange had to start reminding people that they're subscribed to news/footie etc alerts when they're sending that many!

whatleydude
2nd June 2006, 01:58 PM
Old thread revival ahoy!

I got an email from the guys at Refresh this morning..
They've invited me over for a job interview next week!

Wow.

*crosses fingers*

whatleydude
8th June 2006, 08:35 AM
Hello there - interview soonish..

Quick question - have any of you lot downloaded any of the other Mobizines available from them?

www.mobizines.com - if you're interested

I just want to go in there with a bit of info regarding userbase/interest/opinions etc..

Anyone?

( cheers! )

Ben
8th June 2006, 11:33 AM
I've not... but the very very best of luck!

whatleydude
8th June 2006, 01:03 PM
Cheers mate - no worries.
Wanted to go in there armed with a bit more user feedback other than my own y'know?

gorilla
8th June 2006, 02:58 PM
Me neither. I think I'll try it out though.

whatleydude
8th June 2006, 03:33 PM
Cool man. Nice one.