View Full Version : Farewell Japan?

Ben
4th March 2006, 02:43 PM
Well, I don't support this move, and I suspect Arun Sarin doesn't either, but the pressure mounting against Vodafone from it's shareholders who, it seems, just want to pimp the business for every penny it's worth and not get into any tough economic climates has finally started to cause cracks.

Will the Japanese arm fall? Probably, yes. But oh well, maybe it'll free up more dosh for other projects.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/4771780.stm

Vodafone has revealed it is in talks about selling its struggling Japanese phone business to internet and telecoms provider Softbank.
Its Japanese subsidiary has been losing customers in the face of fierce competition from domestic operators such as NTT DoCoMo and KDDI.

It has struggled since a disappointing launch of its 3G service in 2004.

Vodafone's shares - which have been depressed by its Japanese problems - rose 8.4% to 121.5 pence on the news.

Falling customers

"Vodafone confirms it is in discussions regarding a potential sale of a controlling interest in Vodafone Japan to Softbank," the company said in a statement.

"These discussions may or may not lead to a transaction."

Although Vodafone still has nearly 15 million customers in Japan, its customer base has shrunk over the past year amid tough competition and a poor reception for its 3G service.

Profits fell sharply in the past six months while revenues were flat.

Recovery claim

Vodafone has said it is confident of increasing its share of new customers by 2007.

Only last November, Japanese boss William Morrow said he felt the business had turned the corner and was on the road to recovery.

However, the firm has warned that expenditure on new handsets and improving its 3G services will further reduce profit margins.

Paul Kavanagh, an analyst with stockbrokers Killick & Co, said the sale of its Japanese business would be popular with the City.

"I think Vodafone had singularly failed to achieve success in Japan," he told BBC News.

The rising share price signalled City confidence that Vodafone bosses were "taking appropriate action to tackle the problem", he added.

No fix

Telecoms analysts said Vodafone's Japanese difficulties had frustrated both its management and shareholders.

"Vodafone would shed a unit that it just doesn't seem able to fix and which certainly does not fit within the profile of the Vodafone investment portfolio," said Ovum's Robin Hearn of the mooted sale.

"It might also buy Vodafone's management just a little respite after a very rough ride over the past few months."

Vodafone's management has come under growing pressure amid a slowdown in the firm's growth and problems in key markets.

Earlier this month, it revealed it would write down the value of its assets by up to £28bn and that earnings were likely to fall 1% in 2007.

Softbank secured a licence to operate a mobile phone business last year.

Hands0n
4th March 2006, 08:01 PM
These will be the same City folk who promoted expansion of UK businesses into Japan then. How very cynical of them to prod Vodafone into taking this action just because they can't make a pretty penny in any particular quarter. But this is the problem with becoming a listed company - you may well get the finance you need to expand/build etc. but you end up beholden to the City short-termist investors who's only interest is in how much dividend you can offer, they care not a jot about the actual business that you are in.

Only last November, Japanese boss William Morrow said he felt the business had turned the corner and was on the road to recovery.

Sadly, the City do not give a damn, unless the recovery can be projected to turn in profit within strictly defined and acceptable time scales. There are many [what would have been sound businesses given time] lying on the jagged rocks of the City's coastline.

3g-g
4th March 2006, 08:52 PM
It's strange to think that 15 million subs in a teritory is a failure eh? My brother has just moved out to Japan to work and he's amazed at the use of the mobile phone out there! It's really strange for me not being able to text him anymore, only email to the handset! In many ways the Japanese are two steps ahead and one behind (the introduction only now of number porting being a prime example).

There was a big article about this in the Times today. It seems a shame that the bickering over Japan will be the downfall of Sarin, however I think all the operators, in the UK especially, are feeling the pinch and slowdown of the comms market. Vodafone have done well to get into the position they're in, but maybe they're realising that they can't be the global power that they'd like to be? The brand they have is strong, but not quite strong enough. The American and Japanese markets being places they just can't quite break into.

O2 have made a success of themselves after being almost written off after the spilt with BT, by doing just a few things really well. I think, while the purse strings are tight for everyone, Vodafone, Orange et al need to do the same. How about you all fighting for data customers? Make data cheap in the UK and I'll happily let you bicker over me!

Hands0n
4th March 2006, 09:01 PM
Vodafone have done well to get into the position they're in, but maybe they're realising that they can't be the global power that they'd like to be? The brand they have is strong, but not quite strong enough. The American and Japanese markets being places they just can't quite break into.

Unlike the UK market much of the rest of the world, and Japan and America in particular, are fiercely patriotic in their buying habits. Breaking into those latter two countries is notoriously fraught with the potential for absolute failure. Many have tried before and very many of those have failed. If Vodafone's brand name began with "Am" they would have been a roaring success in the USA :D

3GScottishUser
5th March 2006, 08:29 AM
This is simply more evidence of how futile it is to get involved in saturated markets.

Vodafone have now withdrawn from Sweden and are about to exit Japan, both highly deveoped mobile markets with strong incumbents. They are now investing their money in developing markets like Turkey, India and Eastern Europe which have growth potential.

Sensible move really and one can draw parallels with what is happening in the UK now.

crowfield99
5th March 2006, 12:57 PM
Sounds daft even though Vodafone are are UK company, hope they never sell up in the UK! I quite like Vodafone with the new Passport system & stop the clock.