View Full Version : 02 & 3 - Could they have worked together?

crowfield99
5th March 2006, 02:44 PM
We all know that O2 provides three’s 2G coverage when 3G is not available, this is good. But do you think it would have been better if Three and 02 worked together instead of against each other in a way? What I mean is carry on with 02 providing 3’s 2G coverage and let 02 customers roam onto 3’s 3G network. Would this have made better sense and quicker access to 3G for 02’s customers?

Networks do this abroad, so why cant we?

Ben
5th March 2006, 03:42 PM
I think there are legal ramifications with regard to mast sharing here - I think each network, under its licence, has an obligation to provide a physical infrastructure of its own.

However, I guess O2 could have saved billions on a 3G licence and just made the deal with 3. Without any cross-ownership, though, I guess there was always the possibility that 1) 3 could break away and leave O2 with an ageing network and 2) O2's dependence on 3, and so its costs, would increase, where as 3's dependence on O2, and so its costs, would decrease.

There's something to be said for a converged 3/O2 though.

crowfield99
5th March 2006, 05:01 PM
How long do you think it shall be before 3 decides to ditch 02's 2G Coverage on the network? Or how many years before 3 covers 100% of the UK Population? Now that shall be a day when that happens.

Hands0n
5th March 2006, 07:21 PM
At this time, 3 have got the most widespread 3G coverage of any of the UK mobile operators. They are way ahead of the game in that respect.

In terms of 100% coverage, that is unlikely to be a reality - as it isn't even so on 2G for all sorts of good technical and geographic reasons. But for 3 to get as near as dammit I would think that they can only be a few years away.

It cannot be in 3's [financial] interests to perpetuate the need for a 2G fallback longer than necessary. Therefore, the end game must be for 3 to be wholly 3G - and in that respect they'll be making another UK first, and a formidable achievement at that. Ultimately the 2G networks will be run down and decommissioned as were the 1G analogue net of yore. But no one seems to be making a stab at when that will be.

getti
5th March 2006, 09:16 PM
THe deal between 3 and O2 for coverage lasts for 10 years if i remember right.