View Full Version : LG U900 DVB-H Phone

3GScottishUser
10th March 2006, 10:22 AM
This is the handset that 3 Italia will be majoring on in the coming months.

It is a fully equipped UMTS/GSM phone with a 1.3MP camera and all the usual features. It also includes a DVB-H TV tuner which can receive broadcasts from terrestrial digital TV stations (one of which 3 now own in Italy). Customers will be able to buy a package of channels for less than €1 a day it has been reported.

Don't expect to see this device in the UK in the near future as the only DVB-H programming is currently being trialled by 02 and Ofcom have not decided whether to allow this form of TV broadcating in the UK presently.

LG U900 specifications & functions:

Dimensions : 100.6X50.6X19.9mm.
Weight : 110g.
GSM Triband (900/1800/1900MHz).
GPRS (General Packet Radio Service) Class 10.
UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunications System) 2100MHz.
2.0 WAP browser.
Support Bluetooth connectivity.
Support DMB (Digital Multimedia Broadcasting) function.
Support Java platform.
MMS (Multimedia Messaging Service).
Rotational 2.2” 262144 colours TFT LCD display screen.
1.3M resolution digital camera with video recorder/playback and digital zoom function.
MP3/MPEG4 player.
Call vibration.
Voice recording function.
64 bit MP3/MIDI polyphonic ring tone.
Text input predictive software.
MicroSD/TransFlash card expansion slot.
USB client.
Downloadable applications, games, pictures, animations and ring tones.
60MB internal memory.
Alarm clock, calendar, calculator, memo, Email, PC sync, photo album, photo editor, screensaver, wallpaper and games.

IOMO
23rd March 2006, 09:30 AM
Hi

I was wondering if anyone knew where I could purchase one of these? I dont mind if it isnt in the UK.

3GScottishUser
23rd March 2006, 09:46 AM
Welcome to talk3g.co.uk!!

This device is planned for launch in Italy in April or May 2006 where 3 have a terrestrial Digital TV service. Its doubful if it will appear on any other market.

Keep an eye on 3's Italian site at www.tre.it for further information.

Ben
23rd March 2006, 11:18 AM
Welcome :D

What did you want to use it for, if you don't mind my asking? Hell, it'd certainly give you bragging rights, but with no DVB-H in this country yet it'd be overkill.

3GScottishUser
23rd March 2006, 12:24 PM
OK if you are in Bristol where 02 have their trial running for DVB-H but no guarantee that Ofcom will licence this type of digital terrestrial TV in the UK in the future.

Ofcom seem to be taking the view that DVB-H would duplicate exitsing digital TV transmission and that would be wasteful use of spectrum. Virgin are using the BT/Digital One DAB frequency spectrum for their TV service but Ofcom are not likely to allow further expansion of this as it would eat into frequency spectrum designed for sound broadcasting. (The BT/Virgin service relies on bandwidth set aside for 'additional services' and is quite limited although there is a prospect of another National DAB Muliplex next year. It'll not be until 2008 that a new operator can start a new National DAB service and they are likely to offer the 'additional services' bandwidth to the highest bidder, so all things considered the prospects for terrestrial broadcast TV to mobiles look quite bleak in the UK in the forseable future.

IOMO
27th March 2006, 02:10 PM
Hi All

I am looking to purchase the phone for a company I work for called Infospace. They make mobile phone games and need one of the U900 to test on.

Thanks for the infomation, much appricated.

IOMO