View Full Version : Voda live!

3g-g
12th April 2005, 07:05 PM
Can anyone answer this one... Voda are currently airing an advert which shows a guy walking down the street with various changes in hairstyle, which is very amusing. :rolleyes: Now, Voda are promoting the music through your mobile, is this to download from them? How much does it cost? Is it a like a iTunes type store thigymabob? It's just, I can't see anyone wanting to pay to download music throught their mobile, the sheer thought of the cost frightens me!

I'd much rather, do it at home, put it onto my SD card, iPod or whatever and listen to it that way. I imagine the quality of the tracks via Voda will be pretty low (as in the bit rates & subsequently the file size) in order to get them to you quicker. Why would you want to pay to download music at home where you also pay for your ISP then walk down the road paying Vodafone for the pleasure too?

Someone needs to think of a "killer ap" a lot quicker rather than trying to squeeze us for every penny possible out of services that are much better and more established elsewhere.

Ben
12th April 2005, 07:22 PM
Hey

Voda Live! pages have tracks to browse and download. Think they cost about £1.50. However, browsing around the Live! pages is quite annoying and the track activation annoyed me too when I first played with it.

Orange, however, have their own Symbian music player! Their catalogue, afaik, is over 200,000 tracks strong, and the downloadable application makes browsing, downloading and playing easy. When you use the application, downloadable from Orange World, for the first time, you get 3 tracks free per month for 3 months. You need a compatible Symbian phone, such as the 6630 or my funky new 6680, to make use of the service.

I'll be reviewing the service shortly.

Jon3G
13th April 2005, 02:33 PM
I have found the Voda service pretty good.

The quality is excellent and the overall service is good. I agree with the activation, it does get annoying but I can see why they do it. I use Real player to listen to the tracks and that is very good. (thats on my 6630)

I signed up in November and got 3 months free downloads and for some strange reason I am still getting it

Never tried Orange, so cant comment

Jon3G
13th April 2005, 02:34 PM
Plus live browsing is free and so is the the data download. Just imagine a track between 1.5 and 2 meg, you could so run up a big bill with the data charges plus the track cost

Ben
13th April 2005, 02:35 PM
I do wish I could use RealPlayer for the Orange tracks... they don't seem to play in anything but the Orange software. I'm also not convinced as to the quality they have been encoded in yet... time will tell.

I will definitely try the Vodafone downloads on my handset at some stage.

Jon3G
13th April 2005, 09:07 PM
I like the pic you have got on ur profile

Thats interesting about the Orange downloads, However I do have problems when playing ITN news clips and it says file curupted

Ben
17th April 2005, 06:52 PM
I have to say - Vodafone Live! is MUCH faster and better than it's 2G counterpart. The more times I use it the more tempted I am to keep my 6680 on Vodafone for the time being... One thing I don't like about Vodafone Live! is the number of services you end up paying for, either as one off purchases or subscriptions. It's a lot more confusing than Orange World in that respect, where all the content appears to be from Orange itself. But then, due to Vodafone's various content partnerships, there's far more to pick from on Voda...

Meh! Anyway, I'm more impressed with Vodafone's 3G portal thus far. The quality of their music downloads is top notch.