View Full Version : Free Vodafone 3G datacards!

3g-g
15th March 2006, 11:18 PM
All you need to do is buy a laptop! ;)

I suppose it's a good way of getting people to use your product, if you're buying a laptop you obviously want some sort of mobility, so a nice little addition from Voda when you open the box, shame it's so bleedin expensive per MB!

Vodafone is to increase data speeds on its third generation (3G) network across the UK from April. The higher speeds will be available thanks to a technology called high speed downlink packet access or HSDPA, sometimes known as 3.5G. Theoretical data speeds of up to 10 megabits per second are possible using the new technology, roughly four times faster than current data speeds over 3G.

The initial roll-out of HSDPA will be within the M25 initially but the service should be available in most major UK cities and towns by the end of 2006. The new service follows successful trials in the town of Newbury.

Michael Ransom, a director of wireless technologies at research firm Current Analysis says: “HSDPA offers a win-win opportunity for both customers and Vodafone—it delivers on the promise of 3G to provide broadband-like services while on the move. With higher HSDPA-driven wireless performance, Vodafone will enable business customers to move beyond mobile email and become mobile enterprises."

Vodafone is currently aiming to grow the number of subscribers to its 3G data network rapidly by offering free 3G pay-as-you-go data cards to people buying suitable laptops. Anyone buying an Intel Centrino-powered laptop with an appropriate connection slot at retailers like DABS, Laptops Direct and Misco can get a free card on a pay-as-you-go basis. The card comes with 10 megabytes of free data. Thereafter, data is charged at £2.35 per megabyte.

http://travel.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11250-2085153,00.html

Ben
16th March 2006, 02:29 AM
A completely free PAYG datacard? Well that's a good way to throw money down the pan...

"I'll have my 10 megs free thank you very much... then sell you on eBay because the PAYG rates are just astronomical." :)

maxspank
21st March 2006, 11:57 PM
It's Pay As You Use, same as contract rates, they will still be billed, they get the option to put the cost of the bill (no matter how high) on to a proper data card tarrif. Say if the Pay as you use customer's first bill is £200 (for 100 megs browsing) they can put that towards the contract on say the £25 100 meg tarrif, so their first months usage will be out of the bundle and the rest can be towards future bills. If that makes any sense at all?

3g-g
22nd March 2006, 12:12 AM
So, there's no line rental involved unless you go crazy with the data? You just pay for your data? So say you rack up £200 on data in your first month of usage, then you have to pay that and enter into the £25 per month tarrif, and that 1st £25 is taken off your £200? So, the other £175 you've spent goes towards paying the next 7 months of tarrif? Correct? Does that mean you're then stuck paying again for all the data you use on the subsequent months?

I think I'd much rather just top up with cards, and once I've used my data that's it, I choose when to top up again, you could end up with folk getting a very nasty surprise when they find out the PAYG data card they thought they had is costing them a small fortune!

solo12002
22nd March 2006, 10:19 AM
I have a PAYG Vodafone data card last time I spoke to CS I was inform that a MB of data would cost me £7.50. I rather not use one myself at those prices.

maxspank
22nd March 2006, 08:35 PM
Does that mean you're then stuck paying again for all the data you use on the subsequent months?
No, because your still in commintment then to pay for the line rental, so you pay the £25 per month after that.

Hands0n
22nd March 2006, 08:40 PM
Dabs.com have these on almost all of their laptop deals!

Vodafone need to do something to clear up the confusions being raised above, and no doubt elsewhere!

3g-g
22nd March 2006, 11:05 PM
No, because your still in commintment then to pay for the line rental, so you pay the £25 per month after that.

Ok, i've got that bit. But the £200 you've spent, does that not cover any further months line rental? Or do you settle the £200 and from then on in you pay a £25 monthly tarrif with inclusive data?

maxspank
23rd March 2006, 03:21 PM
that's right, basically the £200 you've spent on on your first month is put on as credit to your account, after the £200 is used then you pay the line rental as normal.