View Full Version : Use VoIP with Vodafone 3G Now!!

3GScottishUser
22nd March 2006, 01:39 PM
Today I deceided to try and use my USB VoIP handset whilst connected to the Internet via my Vodafone account.

Guess what - it works a treat. The post is open and you can calll whereever you want.

Only drawback would be the cost of the data. With voice calls using 11Kb/s that means it'll cost about £2.50 for a 90 second call for occasional users.

OK for those with loads of data though but still not a real lternative to using the network for all but the most expensive destinations.

Interesting experiment though. Arun Sarin CEO of Vodafone reckons they will simply become a wireless ISP in time, nice prospect.

3g-g
22nd March 2006, 04:29 PM
Today I deceided to try and use my USB VoIP handset whilst connected to the Internet via my Vodafone account.

Only drawback would be the cost of the data. With voice calls using 11Kb/s that means it'll cost about £2.50 for a 90 second call for occasional users.

OK for those with loads of data though but still not a real lternative to using the network for all but the most expensive destinations.

The cost shouldn't be that much? Remember the VoIP call is packet data, it's moving over your 3G GPRS connection, it's not circuit switched like voice, you'll only be charged for the data you move when speaking, so technically when you're not making any noise and no data is moving there should be no charge. I've had Skype on my laptop for some time now and using it over my 3G card works perfectly, there's only the slightest distortion compared with my home broadband connection. I also have it on my PDA, and over 2G GPRS it's useable if only for the novelty factor of being able to call a PC rather than someone's mobile. I'm sure the actual data used in a Skype call is fairly minimal.

3GScottishUser
22nd March 2006, 05:28 PM
I will give it another go and look at the data use on the Internet billing service.

About 11 K/bs is used for circuit switched 3G voice calls to get a reasonable service level it would be interesting to see what VoIP services consume.

Good to know that the port is open and I can call landline numbers in 30 countries free via VoIP.

Ben
22nd March 2006, 07:15 PM
So it's quite important to stress "DON'T Use VoIP with Vodafone 3G Now!!" ;)

I'm glad it worked well. It should mean Skype is very viable when it launches on Three.

Hands0n
22nd March 2006, 08:38 PM
Interesting experiment though. Arun Sarin CEO of Vodafone reckons they will simply become a wireless ISP in time, nice prospect.

Indeed what an excellent prospect - and I'm sure they'll all go that way as with IP they've got a natual bedrock for their convergence intentions. I honestly wonder how much longer (in general historical terms) the traditional circuit switched networks can continue to be a financially viable proposition. PTTs becoming ISPs:eek: Imagine that :p

VoIP does consume very little data bandwidth, and then only when there is something to actually send. Noisy backgrounds can be a problem in such data generation terms. But generally, in a home or office environment it is typically only the users voice that is picked up and forwarded as and when. Assessing how much data you will use is going to be difficult - so really you could only review such usage after the call itself, but for a reference it is a reasonably good indicator to go by.