View Full Version : v600i Cannot connect to PC via USB - Please help

v600i
23rd March 2006, 07:24 PM
Hi there

Wondering if anyone can help

have just acquired a sony ericsson v600i (from vodafone)and I cannot connect it to my pc via usb so I can access the phone to download pcitures and to upload ringtones.

I have searched the internet for over a week and still have not found a solution.

The problem:
I have installed the SE software suite and when I plug in the usb cable which connects to the side of my phone the phone icon on my shortcut bar gets a green tick to say that the phone is connected. When I open file manager, there is an icon with a big blue question mark which says it is not connected. All the drivers are installed (checking device manager) and it doesn't show up as a drive when I open my computer.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the software suite - also downloading from the sony ericsson site but I still cannot get the phone to connect to my pc.

Please, can someone help as I would like to download my pictures onto my pc so to free up some memory space.

Many thanks in anticipation

I have phoned Sony Ericsson helpline - they suggested 2 things, could be my firewall is et on high or that I have other phone software installed for other mobiles (apparently they share the 4 com port whatever that means).

Anyway turned my firewall off but still cannot connect. Bit reluctant to uninstall my other phone software - I have both LG and Nokia suites installed but they work fine.

Wondering if anyone has had this problem and hopefully a possible solution - thanks

3GScottishUser
23rd March 2006, 07:37 PM
Welcome to talk3g.co.uk.

It sounds like you could have a conflict in terms of software applications. I have experienced similar problems with Motorola and Nokia programs installed.

I would recommend you uninstall all of your phone software and reinstall only the SonyEricsson suite to try and isolate the problem.

Another inexpensive solution would be to buy a Bluetooth dongle (about £12 or so from Dabs.com) and with that you dont need any of the software applications to transfer files between your PC and any Bluetooth enabled handset.

Ben
23rd March 2006, 10:35 PM
Welcome to Talk3G! :)

If you press down the Windows key and Pause Break, then click Hardware and Device Manager, see if the handset (when connected) is listed in there and whether it is flagged to show a device conflict.

You may also want to access the settings for the Sony Ericsson suite in Control Panel > Phone Monitor Options and check the COM Ports tab while the handset is connected and play around with the options there and in the other tabs.

Let us know how you get on... 3GSU might be on to something with the Bluetooth dongle though!