View Full Version : T-Mobile Flat Rate Data Coming Soon

3GScottishUser
24th March 2006, 10:55 AM
From Mobile Today (24/03/2006):

T-Mobile is to give its users unlimited internet access for £7.50 per month from April.

The new offer will be available as an add-on to the operator’s Relax or Flext tariffs and retailers believe it will force other networks to rethink their data download rates.

One London dealer said: ‘The deal they are offering is fantastic. It should, in theory, give them the edge over competitors. It’s a massive change from what they were doing.’

Daniel Schama from ThatPhone in Middlesex said it would avoid confusion
and help people get the most out of their phones. ‘The industry realises that most customers only use a small percentage of their phone’s capabilities. People will start experimenting.’

Schama added that previous data download deals were intimidating for customers and slowed sales. ‘A lot of people are scared of megabyte [-based pricing]. They don’t know how much they download or how much it will cost at the end of the month. This takes the worry out of it.’

It is not clear if the deal covers the use of a phone as a modem. T-Mobile declined to discuss the deal.

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/artman-test/publish/article_1302.shtml

Hands0n
24th March 2006, 11:24 AM
It should, in theory, give them the edge over competitors

I nominate that as the Gross Understatement of 2006 (so far).

What excellent news, even though I don't use T-Mobile, ever.

3GScottishUser
24th March 2006, 11:32 AM
With that kind of offer on top of the excellent Flext tarriffs I suspect you and millions of others might just be heading in T-Mobiles direction in the next few months.

Likewise I have never used T-Mobile as yet but I feel a strong attraction and if they offer a nice N-80 on Flext 35 with the 25% on-line discount I'll be signing up with the web'n'walk add-on of course!!

Ben
24th March 2006, 12:00 PM
Oh... my... lord...

I didn't expect this rumour to be true in a million years.

Again, once this comes out I almost feel like I need to take out a Flext purely as a mark of respect.

I doubt handsets will be able to be used as modems as part of the same deal, but that's not important here. What's important is encouraging a critical mass to take up data-centric services such as VoIP, IM, SMS over GPRS, email and browsing/downloading on their handsets.

T-Mobile have readily stepped in to fill the innovative and responsive position Orange once occupied in my mind. Hurrah for T-Mobile?

maxspank
24th March 2006, 12:03 PM
If it does include using the phone as a modem it will force other networks down. T-mobile are really shaking things up aren't they?

Hands0n
24th March 2006, 12:03 PM
Well it is all rather compelling, especially as I am now out of contract with one of my pair of mobile operators. I am only really awaiting the N80's arrival on the networks and it will then be a situation where I am going to shop around before taking the plunge to either renew or jump ship. The latter being an unattractive proposition purely from terms of keeping my mobile number which is really rather good one (should be silver or gold I reckon, but got it without paying more).

I know I can PAC it across, but that also has certain constraints for such things as Videocall and suchlike. Decisions, decisions.

But I must say that (ignoring 3G for a moment) the Flext tariffs are inspiring, and if they really do offer unlimited data, even if subject to Fair Use Policy, it is something that I would absolutely be interested in providing I can use my mobile as a terminal as well as a modem with laptop/PDA.

However, if T-Mobile do something silly like prevent such use (i.e. only with our Data Cards or only from the handset) then the facility will [for me] rank alongside chocolate teapots and guffs in spacesuits.

3GScottishUser
24th March 2006, 12:07 PM
Here's the official press release:

Unique open mobile Internet service option for £7.50 a month and now with unlimited browsing and e-mail Key features:

- web’n’walk now available on Relax and Flext tariffs
- Incredible value £7.50 a month option for unlimited browsing and e-mail
- web’n’walk handset range to expand in June
- Multi-million summer ad campaign planned

London, UK - 23rd March 2006: T-Mobile’s open mobile Internet service will soon be available for £7.50 a month as an add-on to the network operator’s successful Relax and Flext tariffs.

Unlimited web’n’walk will offer more T-Mobile customers than ever before the chance to browse, e-mail and chat on the move whenever they want. A range of new handsets, (available from June), a revamped homepage (with more categories and webmail links) and improved e-mail support will increase the service’s appeal.

As web ‘n’ walk offers access to the open internet (by way of contrast to traditional “walled garden” WAP services), customers using the web’n’walk service are able to browse the web how they want and are free to log on to whatever websites they choose.

Phil Chapman, Marketing Director of T-Mobile UK, said: “By making the service unlimited and framing it as an add-on to Relax and Flext tariffs, web’n’walk becomes a core part of our product range.

“Along with the impending introduction of several new web’n’walk-capable handsets, what we have now is a truly open mobile internet service that will appeal to a much wider audience. Our aim is to make web’n’walk the choice for any mobile phone user who wants to access the Internet on the move - whether it’s to stay one step ahead of the news or to express themselves through moblogs.”

The availability of a new range of web’n’walk handsets will coincide with the launch of a massive multi-million summer advertising campaign.

Chapman added: “Our web’n’walk summer ad campaign marks another stage in an exciting year for T-Mobile. As well as revamping web’n’walk, we are currently rolling out our innovative Flext tariff, and we will be opening an unprecedented number of new T-Mobile shops this year.”

miffed
24th March 2006, 04:37 PM
Ahh , so it wasn't just a rumour - I'd better get this added now :)

I have heard some nasty rumours that Tmobiles idea of "unlimited" actually means 40mb (:mad: ) - but whether the Tmobile employees suggesting this are just a bit confused on this remains to be seen

Assuming o2 do start charging for GPRS this month ( as threatened) I'll start to use T-mobile as my main account :)

3GScottishUser
24th March 2006, 06:50 PM
I am still confused about whether you'll be able to use your handset as a modem. Web'n'Walk suggests not. Is this a handset display restricted service or full blown open Internet access you can enjoy on your laptop?

Anybody know?

miffed
24th March 2006, 09:15 PM
OK - now I am getting a little concerned :confused: hopefully I'll am completely getting the wrong end of the stick and all will be wonderful

But......

Incredible value £7.50 a month option for unlimited browsing and e-mail

As web ‘n’ walk offers access to the open internet (by way of contrast to traditional “walled garden” WAP services), customers using the web’n’walk service are able to browse the web how they want and are free to log on to whatever websites they choose.

I have a horrible suspicion that "unlimited" may be talking about content rather than quantity :mad:

PLEASE someone ..... post some eviidence to the contrary :)

But I do note on another forum , someone contacted T-mobile to have this "unlimited" add on added to their account , and was basically told they would receive 40mb for their £7.50 (still pretty good )

I really do hope this is just initial confusion though - as I want to be first on board !!

miffed
24th March 2006, 09:21 PM
Have a look ath this thread , particularly the email response from Tmobile

http://www.modaco.com/T_Mobile_to_shake_up_UK_Mobile_Data_marketl-t237970-s75.html

Think I am going to cry :mad:

Ben
24th March 2006, 10:02 PM
How on Earth is 40MB 'unlimited'?

Burn in hell!

miffed
25th March 2006, 02:12 PM
http://www.mobiholics.net/index.php?showtopic=43&st=100

Ah , now thats more like it ! (post 111)

Hopefully all this confusion is just that - and we won't be seeing any ridiculous caps
A 2GB limit will be plenty for me :)

Also note there is aslo talk on this thread of an £8.50 option for datacards etc , that will give increased bandwith (only a rumour , once again - but then the whole "£7.50" thing was only a rumour untill yesterday :D )

Guess we'll have to wait until April 1st :rolleyes:

Ben
25th March 2006, 04:46 PM
It's going to make for an exciting April Fools for sure. Lets just hope T-Mobile doesn't try and take UK consumers for fools by labelling a 40MB bundle with £1/MB out-of-bundle as 'Unlimited'.

On the other hand, 2GB is competing with some entry-level wired broadband offerings! It'd be an insane leap forward and much more generous than I expect. Also, I still expect this to be restricted to on-handset data, which would make 2GB even more insane, but we'll have to wait and see.

There's plenty to be excited about, lets just hope T-Mobile doesn't disappoint and continues to lead innovative pricing reform in the UK.

Hands0n
25th March 2006, 07:41 PM
I can't get my head past the 1st April date, call me cynical :D

3GScottishUser
25th March 2006, 09:08 PM
The April 1st date is real.

Trust me!!!

Hands0n
25th March 2006, 09:18 PM
Yea, but it just seems such an auspicious date - not necessarily one I'd choose to launch a new product :D

@NickyColman
25th March 2006, 09:56 PM
Im currently on a bog-standard -T-Mobile tarrif, will it be possible to transfer to Flext and take advantage of the new data tarrif when it arrives?

Hands0n
25th March 2006, 10:02 PM
Probably if you sign up to another 18 months with them - I can't see them refusing you that! Only a wild guess of mine though, there could be a "policy" that stops them allowing you to do that.

Ben
25th March 2006, 11:38 PM
Mhm yeah, you know what networks are like these days with regard to changing your tariff before the contract term is over - especially if a heavily subsidised handset was part of your deal. Let us know when you find out?

miffed
26th March 2006, 07:38 AM
Probably if you sign up to another 18 months with them - I can't see them refusing you that! Only a wild guess of mine though, there could be a "policy" that stops them allowing you to do that.

You would probably need to sign up for another 18 months to get the Flext tarriff - but the Web'n'walk thing is an add on , I am currently on Relax 300 (a tariff that doesn't seem to exist , lol ) , and the add on is already showing as "available" to select on my account
But to be honest - I do not even use that account , I am not going to apply it until o2 actually bill me for some data

maxspank
27th March 2006, 06:50 PM
If its actual websites it will use the same APN to access through the mobile as you would using it as a smoded, so I would expect this 2GB can be used as a modem. I think when it comes time for me to review my contracts I'll be considedring T-mobile for the first time ever!

Hands0n
27th March 2006, 08:31 PM
I hate saying "Me too" but ................... "Me too" although I am already out of contract with 3 I am waiting for the N80 before I even bother looking at renewing or replacing.

miffed
31st March 2006, 04:38 PM
whoops - , just "accidently" ordered an MDA pro on Flext 25+web'n'walk :)

At £99 for the device (to go with my collection) I think that is a pretty good deal

solo12002
31st March 2006, 04:51 PM
i was thinking of ordering it to or the compact, whats your thoughts, i would use it in work for a PDaetc is it not to big?

solo12002
31st March 2006, 05:40 PM
This dam site not let me post a new thread so I have to put it here. Heres the new April price plans, ffs what a backward step from Orange (lol) even after T-Mobile went forward a month ago.

Follow the link

http://www.hughsymonscommunications.co.uk/documents/hscm/pdf/3_2006_hscm_pdf_5pric_apr.pdf

miffed
1st April 2006, 04:37 PM
i was thinking of ordering it to or the compact, whats your thoughts, i would use it in work for a PDaetc is it not to big?

I must say , the Pro will probably be too big for most people , but a 22.5 stone , I am bigger than most , so therefore can get away with a larger device :D

The Compact II is a good choice , complete with WM5 , But .... if you can wait till June , T-mobile are going to launch some new devices - including the Vario II , which I think will be 3G ;)

http://x.msmobiles.com/portal/images/htc/htc-hermes.jpg

or looking slightly more "finished"

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/09/hands-on-with-the-htc-hermes-t-mobile-mda-vario-ii/

EDIT - Note some of the comments on the second link ! It cracks me up just how much these devices can do these day compared to , say even 5 years ago - yet some of these "critics" rant on , I'd love to see how they'd get on with the phones of a few years ago !

solo12002
1st April 2006, 05:42 PM
" Vario II "

Oh I want that now, I can wait untill June only thing is its very unlikely that the 25% off rental etc will still apply by then.

Hands0n
1st April 2006, 07:17 PM
EDIT - Note some of the comments on the second link ! It cracks me up just how much these devices can do these day compared to , say even 5 years ago - yet some of these "critics" rant on , I'd love to see how they'd get on with the phones of a few years ago !

There is absolutely no satisfying some people. I dare say that even if all of the comments were taken on board and the Superhandset was created just especially for them, there would still be complaints from one quarter or another.

Without doubt, these are fabulous handsets for what they are, and for the purpose for which they are designed. There is no comparison either today or in the past, the sheer integration and convergence are astonishing to even the technically literate. And if that is what is leaving the factory gate today, what on earth is on the drawing board in their design and concept teams? It is barely thinkable :cool:

I think that the future for improvement in all of this technology is in the MMI (a very un-PC expression - Man Machine Interface) and how much they will be able to integrate the function into the way we as humans normally communicate. Speech recognition is getting better all of the time, and if it can be integrated into the miniature handsets it may well bring about a literal revolution in MMI. That is, until direct thought transference becomes a possibility :cool: :cool: I quite fancy the idea of "chatting" to my device and having it respond accordingly. While highly keyboard literate (last tested at over 98wpm) I would like to give the fingers a rest now and again :)

miffed
1st April 2006, 08:05 PM
I agree ! BTW have you experience "Voice command" on the Windows mobile devices ?
You press a user defined key and ask the phone questions and it replies via the speaker - no need to learn your voice or anything ,

A few examples

"What is my schedule for today?"

Answer - "Your schedule for today , two items , meeting with the bank mangager at 10 am , then go to work at 2.30 "

"What is my signal strength?"

Answer- " your signal strength is 90% "

"Ring Ben"

Answer "ring ben at home or mobile"

"mobile"

Answer "ringing ben mobile"

"When's my next appointment"

Answer " your next appointment is at 1,30pm with shelley at the gym , don't forget her new program

And so on ... you can open any application by saying its name to

... Throw into the equation a Bluetooth headset , and you can imagine how useful this is !

Hands0n
1st April 2006, 08:10 PM
Get outta here! Really!!?? I've only got a rather humble old (!!) C500 from Orange, it is by no means the latest Windows Mobile OS and it made no mensh about any of that, so I guess you've got yer hands on the latest and greatest version!

That is quite remarkable voice recognition and background intelligence! Must get to play with one of those in the not so distant future!

miffed
1st April 2006, 08:12 PM
I think it'll work on the C500 :)

There is a 5 day trial around somewhere too !

Hands0n
1st April 2006, 08:15 PM
Ah, I see, its not integrated into the OS but a separate ap for it, Yes? Then it could be loaded into the C500 no probl - and I unlocked it before retiring it when I left Orange in Feb/06. Hmmmmmm, will track it down.

Edit:

Use your voice to look up contacts, place calls, get calendar info, play music, and start programs - view the demo now! (Pocket PC 2003 required).

Well, I'm good to go :D My stuff fits the requirements, although I reckon I'd get more use of it out of my PDA as that has all my dairy and work stuff.

The software is downloadable at http://www.handango.co.uk/PlatformProductDetail.jsp?siteId=172&platformId=2&productType=2&productId=151270 and costs £24.99 which is not bad at all, really.

miffed
1st April 2006, 08:20 PM
Now I think perhaps i am talking crap :mad:

I was sure I had heard of a smartphone version ! yet I have just had a quick root around and can only find Pocket PC versions

There is a demo video around somewhere though too

Just a tip - Make sure (if you do find it) you install a UK version , not a US version , otherwise it won't understand a word you say !

miffed
1st April 2006, 08:21 PM
ah , see you found the video , lol