View Full Version : Got a Transmitter near you?

Hands0n
25th March 2006, 08:30 PM
I found this neat utility at the Ofcom website here --> http://www.sitefinder.radio.gov.uk/

And I thought that I knew where my local transmitters were, but these damn Microcells are a bit sneaky.

Check out your location and see how much is frying your synapses tonight :)

Edit: Just to save you looking further down - the information can be up to three months out of date. OFCOM review the detail three-monthly, but don't way which months of the year. However, this is probably the best indicator of mast distribution that we have available in the UK.

Ben
25th March 2006, 08:47 PM
Oo they've updated it slightly - you can still see the base stations when zoomed out now, but have to zoom in to view details. Still, much easier.

You'd not believe that I've got Vodafone and Orange 3G cells so close to me! Both within 5 minutes walking distance, yet the signal strength is awful.

Hands0n
25th March 2006, 08:49 PM
Looking at my postcode its a wonder we dont all glow in the dark around here!!!

3GScottishUser
25th March 2006, 08:53 PM
I am surrounded by T-Mobile.... Yikes..... lots of 3G from them.

Hutchison have a mast less than 1/2 a mile away and they cant manage to hold a call!!

From user experience Vodafone and 02 have the strongest 3G signals where I live but this T-Mobile thing is perhaps worth investigating... esp with flext.

Hands0n
25th March 2006, 09:26 PM
Grab yerself a T-Mobile PAYG and have a play around with that before any contract commitment, that'd be my advice.

I've only got one T-Mobile mast, its one of the two new masts that have sprung up
What is really weird is that Orange are all over the place here [nearest mast is 150M away], and my signal with them was always marginal at best!

Ben
25th March 2006, 09:43 PM
I also seem to be surrounded by Orange GSM and WCDMA masts now, apparently they've all been upgraded. Still naff signal though! Bemusing :S I'll have to have a play I think :p

No T-Mobile 3G here yet, or O2 still, but Vodafone and Orange have clearly been building out.

Hands0n
25th March 2006, 09:55 PM
According to OFCOM those maps and details can be up to three months out of date, their review cycle is in such intervals. Still, it does provide a rather good indicator of what is going on locally.

Just going to hang tomorrow's leg of pork on the T-Mobile UMTS mast down 't road. It should be done by dinner time tomorrow :D

Ben
25th March 2006, 11:36 PM
Just going to hang tomorrow's leg of pork on the T-Mobile UMTS mast down 't road. It should be done by dinner time tomorrow :D
LoL! I wonder if areas develop where a lot of masts overlap that become 'hotspots'? I mean, I know the power dissipates rapidly once it leaves the panel, but it'd be cool if several paths crossed at the same point all the same :D

It's the direct microwave links that interest me... I wonder if birds that fly through the line-of-site path get warmed up :D

crowfield99
26th March 2006, 01:40 AM
Vodafone's 3G Masts are closer than Orange (and have more in the area!!) but im lucky if I get one Bar. on Orange, I get FULL 3G Coverage and they have less masts and are further apart. grrrrr