View Full Version : Realplayer on 6630/6680...

Ben
13th April 2005, 01:13 AM
When I try and access a video on Orange World, RealPlayer (despite being told to use Orange GPRS WAP) comes out with an error about not being able to play the file. I don't get an option whether to stream or download, just to save a file to either the phone or memory card. RealPlayer then tries to open this instantly, so it looks like it's a messy stream rather than a full download.

Is there some sort of procedure for getting RealPlayer to stream videos off Orange World? 350 wouldn't help me... even though the 6630 is so the same phone they said until they launched the 6680 I'd have to sit tight.

EDIT: "Unable to play Media Clip" is the error, which comes up after the phone says "File saved to real player". As I said, this message comes straight up - so it's not downloading the whole video, it's trying to stream it.

Ben
13th April 2005, 10:37 PM
Update: Guy at Orange recommended trying PvPlayer - unfortunately this doesn't seem to work on the Nokia 6680. No one else at 350 was able to help. I'll call again during the day I think... Can anyone tell me what app the 6630 uses to stream/download Orange World videos on Orange?

Update 2: Streaming also doesn't seem to work on Vodafone. Infact I couldn't get a video to download either, which is weird considering I can download tracks and then open them in RealPlayer. The worst thing about 3G and complex 3G handsets is you can never tell where the fault lies sometimes. The networks services are so unstable and unreliable :\

Still, I can conclude for now at least that the networks may well validate the handset model before streaming. One area of the labarynth that is Vodafone Live! specifically told me I did not have one of the compatible handsets, and listed handsets like the 6630 as what I'd have to use. Obviously Voda will support the 6680 fully, but they seem to be choosing not to just yet.

Jon3G
14th April 2005, 09:21 AM
I have never been able to stream Videos on Voda through my 6630, it just comes up with "file invalid"

It may be a fault with streaming through Real Player, because I can download them then watch them.

Strange

Ben
17th April 2005, 04:24 PM
I can also download and watch on Vodafone Live! but I can't do anything at all on Orange World.

I really need to know if people with a 6630 on Orange have Pvplayer installed which gets launched when they try and stream. Frankly it looks like Orange will have had to do a LOT of tinkering to override RealPlayer which is the core media application on the phone.

I'm pretty sure both RealPlayer and Pvplayer support the same formats - it's just insane that RealPlayer doesn't work!

Jon3G
18th April 2005, 10:44 AM
I think a letter sent to their team may help

Ben
26th April 2005, 04:55 PM
Apparently, "Orange don't care because [my] handset is SIM-Free". They pre-install and lock PvPlayer into their handsets and do not allow it to be downloaded separately.

Apparently, no one would be interested in making PvPlayer available in the downloads area of the Orange Website and there is no one my query could be escalated to.

PacketVideo still do not and will not provide me with a compatible version as it must be obtained via Orange.

It would appear that my money isn't good enough for Orange or PacketVideo :)

Jon3G
26th April 2005, 04:59 PM
Thats good, So you can use a service that they make money from

That makes good sense :confused: