View Full Version : What to do after 3?

gorilla
29th March 2006, 08:36 PM
Ok, I've decided to end my time with three, not for any particular reason other than my contract is up in May.
This is what I think I should do, do you know better?

I am planning to write to three and cancel my contract, then phone to make sure that this is going to happen. Should I cancel my DD as well?

I'm going to request an unlock code for my 6680.
I'm going to request a PAC code and transfer to either O2 or Voda on a £25 per month 30 day contract. This is instead of PAYG. I think this is better value.

Then I'm going to port my number back on a contract with a Nokia N80 (wait and see which Network has the best deal).

Am I being sensible here or am I doing something stupid? My preference is to cancel my three contract rather than maintain a rolling one.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks
Gorilla

Hands0n
29th March 2006, 08:50 PM
I'm in the same boat as you, although my contract expired in January 2006 so I am just rolling over now month to month.

I wonder if your suggestion is not probably more hassle than its worth just to get away from them - unless you have a pressing reason such as having to deal with their cluster of ineptitude called Customer Services (sic) - where it is patently obvious that this shower of theirs does not know what a Customer is nor what it is to actually provide a Service of any reasonable description in solving Customer problems (rant over).

My advice (and my intentions) are to assess the various network offerings when the N80 is widely available. Do a serious comparison of the offers and make a decision - if leaving 3 then porting the number over.

Would not dare suggest you are doing anything "stupid" - seems to me you have a few choices at this time, and will have a load more come the N80 which is supposed to be April (har har) unless Nokia have troubles like they did with the 6280, and that was a right c*ck up at the time. But look now, I think every single network is offering it :) which is nice.

HTH :D

gorilla
29th March 2006, 09:03 PM
Thanks I know what you're saying, but I think I've been incredibly lucky with 3 so far and I want to cut the cord sooner rather than later. I want open data access in my next contract (not sure how much data I will use, but I need the option) and if I spend a little time in the next few weeks cancelling three and signing up to another operator it will hopefully be time well spent.

timothythetim
29th March 2006, 09:16 PM
You seem to be in the same boat as me as well, although my contract is up in April. I want to switch to the Vodafone 30 day contract, but will three give you an unlock code for your 6680? If they do, then I am definitely leaving three until the N80 is released and is cheapish, ideally on Flext.

gorilla
29th March 2006, 10:04 PM
I fully expect them to give me the unlock code. They may charge £15 though, but I thought they were required to provide that now a days.

3GScottishUser
29th March 2006, 10:28 PM
I have yet to see any report of anyone on any forum getting an unlock code for a Nokia 6680/6630 from 3 either within or outwith a contract.

It'll be interesting to hear if someone manages this task. I have seen many reports of folks requesting the code and willing to pay but have yet to see anyone responding with a positive report of it being supplied and having worked.

Hands0n
30th March 2006, 07:45 AM
The last I heard was that 3 and Nokia were at some kind of loggerheads with each other. 3 claiming that they had "lost" the security keys to unlock the BB5 algorithm for the handsets issued by them. The situation being that until resolved 3 have no capability of providing the unlock codes for any BB5 protected Nokia handset.

Kinda makes the V3x (or any other manufacturer's handset) more appealing than a Nokia :D

gorilla
30th March 2006, 07:57 AM
I did not know that. I can see an ongoing saga with three beginning. I told you I had been lucky up until now!

hecatae
2nd April 2006, 11:22 PM
LG U890 is due in April, it was due in March but it was held back, think U880 with a RAZR keypad, 128mb user memory, MicroSD slot, and a smaller sleeker design.