View Full Version : T-Mobile tariffs with Unlimited Browsing (conditions apply)

Ben
1st April 2006, 02:19 PM
As I suspected really :)

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?menuid=plans_webnwalk

Unlimited surfing, which is great, but subject to terms:

To ensure a high quality of service for all our customers, they are not to be used for other activities such as (but not limited to): modem access for computers, internet based video/audio streaming services, peer to peer file sharing, internet based video download and internet based telephony. If such use is detected, notice may be given, after which network protection controls may be applied which will result in a reduced speed of transmission.

No mention, however, of a fair usage policy on actual usage amount.

Great news, really.

LeMotor
1st April 2006, 02:58 PM
hmmm...not a real great news, if you can't have unlimited data if you use your phone as modem...:mad: I think it's the wrong policy for T-Mobile to race ahead the other Telco's...

Ben
1st April 2006, 03:10 PM
Well, to be fair, web and walk is about using the net on your phone, not on your computer. T-Mobile hasn't suggested it's an ISP in the conventional sense and so I believe that this is a sound offering. Browsing needs low-latency yet only small amounts of data are transferred so it should guarantee a hassle-free service for customers.

Of course, I'd have liked to have seen modem use included also, but in truth I doubt they'd notice or be bothered about occasional use.

Looks like Instant Messaging is OK though :D :D

LeMotor
2nd April 2006, 03:18 PM
I'm on T-Mobile's old Web 'n' Walk with free 40 MB browsing whatever I like on my Mobile or on my Laptop! On this tariff there is no restriction how to use the 40 MB!

Hands0n
2nd April 2006, 03:52 PM
I think it's the wrong policy for T-Mobile to race ahead the other Telco's...

I'm not sure you mean what I've taken you to mean by that but ...... assuming you did :D ......

It is my opinion that T-Mobile or anyone else should exactly race ahead of the other "Telcos". Otherwise there is an impression of the mobile operators running a cosy little cartel, even though such a thing is strictly illegal in the UK and many other nations. However, before 3 came along that is precisely what things appeared to be. The offerings of all the mobile ops had very little to differentiate between. There was nothing innovative about either the offerings themselves or the tariffs.

Data, in my opinion again, was the biggest rip-off of the century - with the mobile operators claiming that it was some kind of premium service! Why should data be such a premium service? How hard is it exactly to establish an IP network (I know, from personal experience, that it is not so difficult in relative terms - voice switched networks are a much more difficult proposition). So if it is not that hard to build an IP network why should it then be a premium service attracting a premium charge?

So, now that 3 have somewhat upset the apple cart and seemingly caused the established mobile ops to waken out of their complacency, there does appear to be some kind of true battle for business. I do not hold that this is anything in particular to do with 3G - just that the arrival of a non-cartel member has really shaken the pot quite a bit.

T-Mobile are to be congratulated for their Flext plan which is completly transparent (it seems) and understandable. I would like to see all tariffs flattened out like this.

Adding Web 'n Walk to the pot has taken the transparency and flattening into mobile data also, albeit restricted to the handset at this time. I do suspect this may be as much to do with their lack of a comprehensive range of 3G handsets, and their current state of 3G deployment and availability. I'd imagine that tons of Web 'n Walk folk using PCs via their handset/modems in the traditional use would probably hose down their 2G/2.5G capacity. Hence the current restrictions, I'd say.

It is all a very good start in the right direction and I look forward to the other four mobile operators and their MVNOs to respond aggressively. Someone has to set the pace, this month T-Mobile appear to be that someone.

miffed
2nd April 2006, 09:11 PM
Well I am as happy as a clam :D

I think this move is going to be echoing around the industry for some time

I have been using Pocket PC devices for a few years now - and I have been fortunate enouigh to have been getting GPRS free from o2 for most of that time
- and on these PPC devices , you can rack up a fair amount of data use too ! - and it doesn't FEEL like you are surfing on a phone either ! it feels like you are using a (very small) laptop IMO (despite the MDA vario being not a lot bigger than most phones )
And this is where I think people are not getting the full experience - I don't think I would get through half as much data if I was using my old 6600 , despite it being "as capable" on paper
T-mobile have a few new devices launching in June , along with 4 pretty good devices already available already
I cannot imagine the experience being half as good on a "normal" phone
as it is on my current PPC devices

Had I not had the free GPRS on o2 (which was kept unofficial anyway) - I doubt I would have had the experience that I have had now - and therefore would not have become so addicted to these devices
I think what Tmobile have done now , is offered people the option not only to buy these devices at a pretty subsidised rate - and ACTUALLY USE THEM in all their glory - rather than ponce about on wapsites , wondering how close you are to your monthly limit !

I think we are on the brink of a revoloution ! and it is now quite plausable for some , light internet users who are on a budget to choose a PDA as their sole interface for internet / email

solo12002
2nd April 2006, 09:18 PM
If this is the replacement for the MDA Pro:

http://www.engadget.com/2006/03/09/hands-on-with-the-htc-hermes-t-mobile-mda-vario-ii/

I cant wait lol

Ben
2nd April 2006, 11:02 PM
Lordy, that looks pretty sweet... one of those on Flext with Web n Walk would be some package.

Hands0n
2nd April 2006, 11:30 PM
Yea, but what would you use to make phone calls on? :D

Ben
3rd April 2006, 12:04 AM
Well, that I guess! It's not too huge going by the pic.