View Full Version : Advice. Needed.

@NickyColman
2nd April 2006, 07:46 PM
Ok, with the arrival of -T-Mobile's Flext tarrif, im now in a bit of a dilema..

Im in two minds wether to take out a contract with -T-Mobile and get a potentially faulty Nokia 6280 on Flext. Meaning id get a good handset and fantastic value.

OR

Take a contract with Vodafone and have Stop The Clock and Sky TV?

What would YOU do...which handset....etc...

Hands0n
2nd April 2006, 09:45 PM
Blimey! You do like the hard questions :D

I run two contracts, currently Vodafone and 3, the latter is now in monthly roll-over and I'm watching and waiting.....

From personal experience I can say that Vodafone's Stop the Clock is par excellent value. I'm having real trouble using up my contract minutes, mostly 'cos my personal calls tend to fall within the STC window of evenings and weekends.

Sky TV on Vodafone is probably the best implementation of TV over 3G networks to date (OrangeTV and 3's MobiTV - both the same product - are a complete joke). As far as I know, there is no TV offering from T-Mobile at the moment, but of course I would not expect that situation to remain very long as T-Mobile catch up.

OTOH

Flext is astonishing value. I guess the nearest for me to match my current Vodafone subscription of 500 mins and 100 text + 50 mins Videocall is going to be Flext 35 - and it is a damn sight cheaper! It is also quite a bit cheaper than my £35 VT500 with 3 (500 mins voice, 100 text and Video Value for £5).

No TV on T-Mobile at the moment so there is no comparison in this context with Vodafone. Even if there were, T-Mobile [whilst having 3G operational] are not promoting it too hard, and so the mobile features that would lean on 3G are not on offer, broadly.

Decision time :cool:

I really hankered after the 6280 in its pre-availability days. What followed was, to my mind, a disaster that has put me off the handset completely. I'd probably take one if you gave it to me, but I would not contract on one! But that is just me.

If I really had to choose between Flext and a Vodafone tariff with STC then I feel that the latter would win out - purely because I can contain my use of Voice and Text to within contract.

I tend to feel that Flext is probably more suited to those that cannot function within the constraints of a conventional contract. Not suggesting that Flext is a bad thing - quite the opposite in fact - but that, given the two choices you offered, Flext does not [in my case] win out over Vodafone+STC.

I am seriously considering going over to T-Mobile for the first time ever (since they stopped being One2One) - up to now their tariffs have bored me rigid. But all of a sudden they come out with this inspiring tariff plus the Web 'n Walk add-on which pretty much blows the socks off of the opposition.

All I am waiting for is the N80 to be available from T-Mobile. By then I expect their current 25% lifetime discount to be withdrawn. But I still see the value in Flext with Web 'n Walk even at the retail price!

I'll bet that hasn't help you much, lol :D

gorilla
2nd April 2006, 09:45 PM
I'm waiting for the N80. I suppose it's what you need rather than what you want. For value your first option is ideal, but can you resist the lure of the N80?

@NickyColman
2nd April 2006, 09:56 PM
Thanks for your reply Hands0n!!

Your right about Flext being perfect for those who cannot keep within the restraints of a conventional contract! Which i fall into that category.

Its a horrible situation im in at the moment....Vodafone have better content (Sky TV etc) ......-T-Mobile have a great value tarrif......Vodafone have better handsets. . . .

Ive looked at the Samsung Z500 but the screen is just teeny! i dont no wether i could put up with it after having the likes of the N70 which has a bigger screen.

The only handset with -T-Mobile is the Nokia 6280 which i had major problems with when i had it with Three so i do not want history to repeat itself.

I basically want a 3G handset which is a comfortable size, not overly big a la SonyEricsson W900i and not too small like the Samsung z500!

Its just trying to find the contract and handset to match which is rather hard at the moment!

Hands0n
2nd April 2006, 10:48 PM
I know the [handset] predicament, although I did rather fall in lurve with the W900i wot is currently bulging in my pocket :D

Last week, I did query T-Mobile regarding Flext and the N80 - but they weren't going to give it up quite that easily. But word seems to be that we should anticipate a May availability for that particular handset. Will it be the 6280 all over again? Who can tell until the time comes. I suppose it will really be a matter of how aggressively the handset is branded by each operator, and how much that branding affects [adversely] the manufacturer-designed functionality.

I quite like the idea behind the Z500 - small, classy, functional, capable etc. But like you, the small screen would do my head in in no time! I do find the W900i's screen the ideal size and quality for my purposes. It resolves Live! perfectly, and TV on it is very viewable. I recall that 3GSU, who has a Z500, found the small screen a bit of a distraction with Sky News where the scrolling text etc was hard to resolve.

I do think that T-Mobile have placed many of us in this quandry with Flext, it is an exciting tariff. But do we take a jump now with, say, the 6280 or N70 and benefit from the 25% lifetime discount on the montly contract. Or do we wait a while longer and risk losing access to the 25% saving but get the handset of choice (anticipating that T-Mobile will actually stock the N80). They will no doubt expand their range.

It really is a hard call to make - I keep swinging from one to the other [jump now or wait it out] - that 25% is significant (to me) - but I want a better handset than the 6280, I don't want an N70 to accompany my 6680 :p - and I definitely do not want a 2G/2.5G handset :eek: at this stage in the game, not on an 18-month contract.

Sleepless nights await .................

@NickyColman
2nd April 2006, 11:23 PM
You have hit the nail firmly on the head Hands0n. The z500 is a gorgeous little handset. She is very much a lady. However the camera isnt as good as id like and as mentioned the screen is too small.

-T-Mobile *should* have launched Flext with a range of new handsets. Not only would people clamour for the handset but they would also be benefiting from the fantastic Flext.

Like you, i imagine a number of handsets will appear in the coming months that will complement Flext perfectly. But i simply cannot wait this long.

I think this type of situation is going to crop up regularly....do you go with value for money with a good, but not perfect handset....or do you choose content with fantastic handsets?

Id really appreciate anyone who is on either side of the fence (either with z500 or equally as nice handset on Vodafone, or someone who is enjoying a Flext-able life with -T-Mobile..)

Whilst its in my head, can anyone tell me if Flext is 3G enabled? The reason i ask is i took out a contract with a 2G W800i on -T-Mobile on one of their RELAX tarrifs, yet if i put the simcard into my N70 i am able to videocall and do general 3G doings.

Is it that -T-Mobile are basically enabling all simcards for 3G usage and not promoting 3G as a service and more of a handset benefit?

Ben
3rd April 2006, 12:02 AM
Is it that -T-Mobile are basically enabling all simcards for 3G usage and not promoting 3G as a service and more of a handset benefit?
AFAIK that is correct in as much that T-Mobile don't insist on specific SIM cards or tariffs for 3G, a la Vodafone. One similarity amongst so many differences ;)

I'm very happy on Vodafone, but T-Mobile has a certain lure about it now what with Flext and unlimited Web n Walk. Maybe it's time to reward T-Mobile's new initiative with the new customer they deserve ;)

@NickyColman
3rd April 2006, 12:05 AM
Yeah, -T-Mobile are extremely attractive!! The tarrif is perfect for me!! No restrictions in the typical sense.

I think i may have to just force myself to hold out for new handsets!!