View Full Version : internet on a1000

east-cruisers.com
4th April 2006, 10:01 AM
i recently got this phone, and when i was in the shop i was going online on all different websites incuding my own and they all worked, but now when i get mine, its only letting me on mobile websites?!
Help please!:confused:

Ben
4th April 2006, 10:28 AM
Hi, welcome to Talk3G.

What network are you on? You might have to buy an additional 'bundle' to be able to browse the open Internet.

Hands0n
4th April 2006, 06:22 PM
I suspect that the handset is on the 3 network as they are the only ones selling the A1000 [new] - unless it is a SIM-free unit, or unlocked 2nd user. In which case I further suspect that east-cruisers.com is on the 3 Mobile Websites package whereas the demo seen in the shop was probably on Wireless Web (I'm presuming there's nothing on WW to stop the handset from accessing the full internet as well as being a modem to a laptop/pda).

I can confirm that an A1000 on Vodafone (mine) has full and unfettered access to the Internet [as Vodafone provide it] on both Contract and PAYT, so I don't see it as a handset issue.

Sorting this out with 3 is the fun part of one's day :)

east-cruisers.com
4th April 2006, 06:44 PM
so you dont think that on 3 it will be able to go on normal websites without getting one of their expensive laptop deals? :(:confused:

Ben
4th April 2006, 07:00 PM
Well, I think it takes £15/month for 'full' access with a data allowance, so I guess you have to decide whether that's acceptable or not or return the handset.

Sounds like you were either misled or sold an inappropriate product for your requirements. As far as data for on-handset browsing goes, a Flext tariff on T-Mobile with Web n Walk (@£7.50/month) is by far the best value. If you don't use very much data then something on Vodafone would be good, bought online with a decent extras pack included (counts for SMS, MMS and Data).

Hands0n
4th April 2006, 07:05 PM
Yes, I rather think that you have been "tucked up" to use the vernacular. If you are within the 14-day intial period you can get the contract cancelled without further ado. If you have gone beyond the 14 days you will have a bit of a fight on your hands. As Ben suggests, you will have to claim that you have been "misled" by the shop, and/or sold a product that does not meet with your stated [in the shop] requirements on the basis of what was demonstrated to you i.e. the full-access on the handset package.

T-Mobile's Flext with Web n Walk may well be what you are after, although their 3G handset range is limited at the moment.

Ben
4th April 2006, 07:08 PM
T-Mobile's Flext with Web n Walk may well be what you are after, although their 3G handset range is limited at the moment.
Yes, that's true, though they do carry the N70 which has to top the somewhat ancient A1000.

east-cruisers.com
4th April 2006, 07:13 PM
well ive only had a few days, its just a pain in the butttt as ive sent out the new number to everybody! if i cancel do i have to pay for the texts ive sent? as ive sent over 100 already! DOH!! does the n70 have full internet then if i go on t-mobile?

Ben
4th April 2006, 07:56 PM
Yes, you'll be billed for your usage up until you cancel.

All the other networks offer full Internet access, it's just that T-Mobile have an exceptionally good £7.50/month add-on that gives 'unlimited' browsing at no extra cost.

Normally it'll cost you anywhere from £2.35-£7.50 per megabyte when using data on a network without a bundle.

Hands0n
4th April 2006, 09:35 PM
You are going to have to move quickly to get out of the contract, don't delay if you have any doubts or uncertainties. You can always take out another subsequently, if you really want to.

There really is not much wrong with 3's general offerings, but it does appear that in this instance you are not going to get what it is you thought you were - through either intentional or unintentional misrepresentation of the product.

Have a look at T-Mobile's pages on Web n Walk (http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?menuid=plans_webnwalk)

Also check out their Price Plan for Flext + web 'n' walk (http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?menuid=plans_webnwalk_flextplans&chosenPricePlan=pmt)

See what you think.