View Full Version : Radio DJ Starts May 17th

maxspank
6th April 2006, 10:48 PM
I'm not sure if you've heard but Vodafone have teamed up with Sony Music and are offering a streimg/download service which starts from May 17th. Series 60 device holders get an enhanced service witht the streaimng, which will cost £7.50 per month or £1 per day, and full track downloads from 99p per track. We had the training for it today and it seems like a great service, I will definatley be a subscriber of this service as not only can ou access music on the move, you can access it from the web.

Ben
6th April 2006, 11:09 PM
Mhm this sounds much more promising than the current Vodafone offering. I remember us discussing it a few months back, yes, but I'm glad to hear it'll finally be gracing our mobile phones.

99p a track for what, I assume, are 'double downloads' that work on both the handset and computer? That's good stuff. Even better if burn rights are included on the computer copy. Better still, yet doubtful, if the PC downloads are available in multiple formats to support Apple, Sony and Microsoft DRM devices.

One to watch.

Denyo1977
7th April 2006, 07:42 AM
Wow, training one month in advance? And I thought that first you get the product and the training (like a friend told me who worked for Orange ;) )
£7.50 a month doesn't sound bad at all. But have to wait and see. Been all excited about the Mobile TV thing and now after the first month of paying for it I cancelled it as I hardly use it.

Denyo1977
17th May 2006, 07:02 PM
Ok, the day is not over yet. But I don't think Radio DJ will be starting today. I had a look on the Vodafone homepage but could only find this

http://online.vodafone.co.uk/dispatch/Portal/appmanager/vodafone/wrp?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=Page_BOS_MainContent&pageID=AV_0655

Doesn't say anything about the starting date.

Denyo1977
24th May 2006, 06:11 PM
Contacted Vodafone regarding Radio DJ. Here is the reply:

Thank you for contacting Vodafone Customer Service regarding the launch of Radio DJ.

To ensure the successful launch of the Radio DJ music service, the decision has been made to move the launch date from May to mid June.

3G music lovers can still take full advantage of existing music services - 500,000 tracks available through our Full Track Music Download service and the recently launched Sky Music Mobile TV package - both available through Vodafone live!

If there is anything else we can assist you with, please feel free to contact us.

Kind regards,

Ben
24th May 2006, 07:46 PM
Ah thanks for the update. I have no idea whether this service will be a success or not, but I hope they can justify the delay!

maxspank
16th June 2006, 09:18 PM
We've been told Radio DJ is 'just around the corner' in a memo a couple of days ago, but still no actual date yet.

Denyo1977
24th June 2006, 03:15 PM
If I consider you posted your message eight days ago and you wrote that you have been told "a couple of days ago" I would hardly call that around the corner anymore. I assume that Radio DJ won't even start before the end of the World Cup. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at you because I think you are giving false information. Just annoying they are delaying the whole thing over and over again.

hecatae
24th June 2006, 03:22 PM
Radio DJ will more than likely launch with the Sony Ericsson V630i release date

getti
24th June 2006, 08:51 PM
I have a V630i in for review and confirm the RadioDJ is an option on the phone and i did manage to sign up for 1 months free trial then its £7.50 a month.

Yet to get it working though.

maxspank
24th June 2006, 09:12 PM
If I consider you posted your message eight days ago and you wrote that you have been told "a couple of days ago" I would hardly call that around the corner anymore. I assume that Radio DJ won't even start before the end of the World Cup. Please don't get me wrong, I'm not having a go at you because I think you are giving false information. Just annoying they are delaying the whole thing over and over again.

Yeah unfortunatley, I can only go by what we've been told. Its a shame they can't stick to deadlines. We still haven't been given a date for this going live, so it maybe an option v630i but may still not be active. No more info unfortunatley.

Ben
25th June 2006, 01:22 PM
getti reports he now has RadioDJ working and will be able to give us more details later. Lets hope it impresses after so many delays.

getti
26th June 2006, 10:19 AM
Hey guys.

Well i managed to get RadioDJ working and here are my thoughts.

CRAP!, Takes an age to change tracks as they are streaming files and the songs that come up i have never even heard of.

Free yes i might use it once a year. £7.50 not a chance in hell

Denyo1977
13th July 2006, 09:29 PM
At last I found RadioDJ in the music section today. Was it worth waiting? So far I would say no!
1) after downloading and installing RadioDJ on my phone it wasn't difficult to get it working, but I couldn't find anything to subscribe to the service (for a day or a month). I know the first month would be free, but shouldn't it at least show up in my subscription list?
2) at my work place the quality was appauling, buffering all the time, tracks playing to fast. This changed at a different location and I would say the quality is quite good.
3) I wouldn't say it takes ages to change tracks. It can be anything from 4 to 12 seconds.
4) oh my god :eek: where on earth did they get those songs from? I am a big 80s fan, but I can say that I probably haven't heard of 95% of the songs from the 80s and 90s channel. You get a few Britney Spears songs and Take That for example, and I don't even know those songs! And don't get me started on the Woody Allen song!!! :D The Chill channel is a bit better and the Charts compilation channel.
5) I actually thought you could rate the songs with "like a lot, like a bit, don't like very much and don't like at all". You actually only get like and don't like.
On some channels you can't rate at all (Charts, Festival ...)

I have to admit I was really looking forward to RadioDJ and so far I'm rather disappoint because of the choice of songs. I know it just started and I just hope the choice will improve. If not they can forget it because no one would pay for that music.

Denyo1977
14th July 2006, 08:33 PM
It seems if you browse the channels for longer (in this case Pop) you get a few better known songs.