View Full Version : Going Mac. Apple Mac.

Ben
10th April 2006, 02:20 AM
Alright, so, as a PC user of a zillion years, the time has come to recount my early experiences of Apple, Apple Mac's, and the infamous OS X Tiger.

I'm pretty sure that all of you who have lived with Windows will have at least wondered if there was 'another way' out there of computing. Some of you may have even installed some of the various Linux distributions and tried to use them as a Desktop OS via either Gnome or KDE. If you have, I'd imagine you were thoroughly disappointed and so the vast majority, if not all, of your computing needs are still catered for my Microsoft. As someone who will likely have to use Windows in at least some measure for the foreseeable future, my wondering if there was another, better way of doing things for my personal computing life has come to a head in the new Apple Mac mini.

The first thing you notice when you contemplate 'switching' is that you don't get a lot of Mac for your money. If you know someone in education I strongly suggest using them to get whatever education discount is available. This can be had both online and over the phone. Mac's are available in highstreet stores like PC World, though not only are they expensive but they also tend to be out of date. My local PC World still doesn't have the new Intel stock. So, for your ordering needs, I strongly recommend using the Apple Online Store (http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore).

Shipping takes a while. Up to two weeks infact. Though, if you're fortunate, you might get your Mac in about a week - especially if you buy it 'stock'. However, this isn't the avenue I'd recommend. OS X running on Intel isn't too RAM hungry in itself, but Rosetta, which you never see but allows you to run applications designed for IBM PowerPC processors, uses a considerable amount when active. Apple Mac's also aren't readily expandable or upgradable (excluding the PowerMac, which isn't Intel yet anyway), so for your own sake I recommend clicking on at least 1GB of RAM while trying to ignore the price. I myself spec'd my Mac mini up at an Intel Core Duo 1.66GHz processor, 2GB RAM and a 120GB HDD, choosing to order over the phone. A 'BTO' (built to order) system takes a little longer to ship as it takes two or three days to make it first, but it's worth it in the long run. If you just want the sub-£500 Core Solo Mac mini for your first foray into Macland then you can be reassured that I've heard many positive things about their ability in general computing, but once again I suggest upping that RAM.

The Apple Online Store has reasonably good order tracking (very good compared to Dell's, anyway) and you'll find yourself checking it a lot - daily if not more! Once you see the status updated with the courier name and tracking number you know your order is about to arrive. All of the couriers Apple used to get the various parts of my order, Harmon Kardon Soundsticks II, 23" HD Apple Cinema Display, BT Keyboard & Mouse, Applecare, were extremely good. I placed several orders as I couldn't decide what I wanted initially. Couriers included TNT, UPS and Flextronics.

Applecare, by the way, is important. It's a very good warranty, and from my experience with Apple CS you wont regret it. More on that in a second. If buying the Mac mini and an Apple monitor in the same order your Mac mini Applecare can actually cover both, along with the Apple keyboard and mouse if you go for it - so bare that in mind if one of these beautiful ACD's gets the better of your wallet like it did mine. Basically, Applecare extends your 1 year warranty and 90 days telephone support to a full 3 years of both. This was invaluable when the first Mac mini I ordered died on me two days in. Admittedly it was one of the very first Intel Mac mini's, and during the weeks that I was without my machine many problems were rectified. Apple CS didn't even have to be asked for a replacement when I described the problem. A World of Warcraft CD, purchased elsewhere, was stuck inside the dead mini and Apple CS even refunded me the retail price of that so I could buy a new copy. Can you fault that? I can't.

Discounting that first Mac mini experience, I've now been a Mac user since Friday. The first thing I noticed about my new computer was the keyboard. Apple's layout is somewhat different to a normal PC. Yes, it can still do everything you need, but it takes some getting used to. Interestingly, though, I already try and replicate the various shortcuts on my Windows machine - which has to be a testament to the logical layout. It's not as fully featured as your typical Windows keyboard, and neither is the single button mouse, but it's all so blissfully simple. Suddenly I wonder why I have all those extra buttons and scroll wheels on my PC's.

I also immediately noticed how easy it was to do the basics. Setup is fast and flawless, with the Mac mini/OS X connecting to my wireless LAN and updating itself with all the latest patches and wotnot. How very Windows ;) Browsing the web, instant messaging and using email are a single-click away and, if you get .Mac, which I highly recommend, the tight email, IM and online storage integration is superb. Some things, however, like connecting to my Windows shares, are a tiny bit more complicated. We're still talking orders of magnitude easier than networking in Windows, though. You'll also be impressed by the raft of integrated networking tools such as Ping and Traceroute which have their own purdy graphical interface.

For the more advanced/adventurous, OS X includes access to the console. You can install and run many applications from the Linux/UNIX world on OS X, and things like Apache come preinstalled. Ever wanted a teeny tiny web server? Now you can have one ;) Some people even offer colo for the mini! (http://www.macminicolo.net/)

One slight source of confusion, from the switch to Intel, is Universal Binaries. They're still not as common as you'd hope, with big guns like Real still running under Rosetta. That's fine, ish. Unfortunately pages that have integrated Real content wont work properly as applications running under Rosetta just don't work as plugins. Likewise, I still haven't found a printer driver as HP's aren't in UB yet. This will get better over time, but I'm not going to fool myself that everything will be UB any time soon. Oh, and QuickTime is unimaginably better on a Mac. Yes, I hate it on Windows too.

As for the stability of OS X, it really is generally very good. This is largely due to Apple controlling both hardware and software elements of their computers, and while it wouldn't scale to much more than 10-20% market share it's a fantastic concept which I hope remains. I have, however, managed to make OS X crash once. That, though, was the fault of the Camino (http://www.caminobrowser.org/) web browser that I am using inplace of the truly terrible Safari. Ok, so it's not truly terrible, but it's not as good as Internet Explorer so I had to set that straight ;) What is Camino? Well, it's a brand new browser from Mozilla that basically takes Firefox and integrates it better with OS X. They've done a good job, too, minus the 1.0 bugs.

One thing you will love about new Mac's is Front Row. My mini shipped with a 6-button Apple Remote, which makes any other remote control look like something for time travel, that somehow does everything you need it to. The transition from your desktop to Front Row when you push the Menu button on the remote is stunning. What amazed me is that just using the remote in Front Row I can browse a massive range of movie trailers from Apple, and watch them, without going anywhere near the machine. Likewise for music - I never turn my Mac mini off, it's always there ready to supply me with music (or television via Elgato EyeTV EZ v2.01 UB) by remote. You can even sleep and wake your Mac with the Apple remote by pushing and holding the Menu button, though as I said, my mini just stays on.

It all just looks so nice. So inviting. All the graphics used in OS X, the industrial design of the hardware, the anti-aliasing. You become 'involved' with the machine, and it's ready to do whatever you want whenever you want to. You do have to be careful what other hardware you buy if you want Apple to support it within OS X, mind, and one example would be your mobile phone if you want to use iSync over Bluetooth without any third party software. To my amazement, my SE W900i is fully supported and my phonebook was rapidly assimilated into the Address Book. I can also browse my handset via Bluetooth in two clicks.

This is another world, to be sure. It's not computing as you currently know it. The Apple slogan is 'Think Different' and they certainly have, creating something that for the most part is miles better than how things are done in Windows. Expose, for example, where a guesture with your mouse tiles all your open windows on the screen so you can click the one you want to be active, is just so perfect that I don't know how I lived without it in Windows. Not everything is as good as the Windows world, of course. Finder, the OS X version of Explorer, is bizzare. It's the best ever navigation tool I've seen for a unixesque Desktop OS, but it still has some way to go. Apple recognise this though, which is why it has been through so many overhauls over the years.

Apple hardware is expensive, yes. But it is worth the extra money. You truly are getting what you pay for in terms of the experience, from opening the inspiring packaging to every time I've flicked to my Dictionary widget to check a spelling while I've been writing this. The sheer quality of materials makes an Apple computer a nice place to be at and, if you, like me, spend a lot of your life infront of a machine, don't you want it to be nice?

If you need a reason to buy an Apple Mac then let it simply be that life is too short. There's more to life than antivirus, antispyware and BSOD's. Oh, and with Apple's new Boot Camp software, a feature to be fully integrated in the next increment of OS X 'Leopard' but available for download now, you can always dual-boot your Intel Mac into XP to run that unsupported piece of software or just for a reminder of why you switched to a Mac in the first place.

chaslam
10th April 2006, 02:16 PM
Nice review there. I have a mac mini but only with 512mb RAM (that was the highest they did back in sept without paying £90 for 1GB) and its been flawless.
I see in your pictures you brought the wireless mouse. Nice option. The only thing about it is it is pretty heavy (not that you would be picking it up alot anyway) and it only has one button. I brought the mighty mouse (which I need to replace as its pretty old now) and the wired keyboard. If you dont like the idea of having to hold the apple key when right clicking, go for the mighty mouse. It has a right click on the mouse built in and has a scroll buttom (basically a little ball in the middle) which comes in handy. Also the wired keyboard comes with 2 extra USB ports in it, which is handy as the mini only has 2 built in.
I also noticed you mentioned safari. I, at first, also thought it was pretty shoddy. I used IE for a while, but found that alot of websites didnt show correctly on it, or didnt even show at all on it, so I moved back to safari, which will grow on you im sure. It also has alot more functionality then IE or firefox, like highlighting some text and then clicking on edit and then spelling, shows and corrects all spelling mistakes. Or clicking on edit and then find, you can type in a word or a phrase and it will search for it in the web page you are looking at.

Also, 1 thing you didnt mention is the corners, which, IMO are very useful and important. You can set each corner of the screen to do something different, eg the right lower corner will show all your open windows when you move your mouse towards it, or you can set the left hand corner to move all the windows out of the screen so it puts you back to the main home screen whithout having to minimise everything individually. Ben, if you havent tried this yet, try it its very useful.

Also there is the dashboard. Here you can get widgets for all sorts of things. A games one, a BBC radio 1, computer stats and everything you could possibly need. Just download them from the apple site.

Below is a screenshot (taken with a screenshot widget from the dashboard) of what the right corner can do.

crowfield99
10th April 2006, 06:31 PM
How much do macs costs they days?

Ben
10th April 2006, 11:11 PM
Also, 1 thing you didnt mention is the corners, which, IMO are very useful and important. You can set each corner of the screen to do something different, eg the right lower corner will show all your open windows when you move your mouse towards it, or you can set the left hand corner to move all the windows out of the screen so it puts you back to the main home screen whithout having to minimise everything individually. Ben, if you havent tried this yet, try it its very useful.
Yes, I mentioned Expose in the article can be trigged by the hot corners you mention. It's an amazing feature I agree, and one which I don't understand how I live without in Windows! I use the two bottom corners for Expose and Dashboard and then one of the F keys to make everything vanish off the desktop. Very cool! Unfortunately there's just too many great features to mention, but we can certainly try ;)

crowfield99 - a 17" Intel iMac with 1GB RAM is £999.01. The Intel Mac mini with 1GB RAM is £519.01 and Intel MacBook Pro with 1GB RAM £1499.01. So not cheap ;) So worth it, though.

http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObjects/ukstore

getti
11th April 2006, 12:28 AM
I went Mac about 2 months ago after getting fed up with the problems Windows has.

After only using a Mac for 1hr max before i spent £1,050 on a 12" Intel iMac and its been great!.

Infact the only problem i have so far is with software running under emulation so can be slow at times, but once i stick another 1gb making 2gb ram this wont be a problem.... and once Photoshop and Dreamweaver are universal they will open before i even click on them!.

So far on my site i used Dreamweaver MX (Mac version) for the main site, GarageBand for the podcasts and already listeners are saying the sound quality is far better.

I also use iMovie HD to import from my Mini DV camera for the video podcasts and this is a great free program with new macs.

Yes Apple are expencive but you are getting a total product for the future that works right out of the box. With Windows you are getting a buggy software package that needs you to install antivirus, spyware scanners and firewalls before you even think about getting online.

I have officially gone Mac and can never see myself going back to Windows because i think its inferior to Apple in nearly every way.

Next purchase for me will be a 12" Apple Intel iBook (Once they are made) so i can sync and move my work around with me. This will especially be handy for 3GSM which i WILL... WILL... WILL go to next year!.

What does that say.... i would rather spend £800 on a Apple laptop than £400 on one with Windows!

Ben
12th April 2006, 11:18 AM
I'm also hankering after that small-form-factor iBook (MacBook?) or MacBook Pro. I was at the Apple store in Bluewater yesterday and the temptation to buy a 15" powerbook was just horrible! I managed to talk myself out of it by telling myself I wanted something smaller and also by feeling how hot the things were running... something's not quite right with the current MacBook Pro!

I did come away with an iSight though. Despite being wildly overpriced (almost £100), the iSight camera is a testament to Apple design. It even comes with it's own 35mm-style-film case for taking it with you on the move! The Firewire cable/connector actually forms part of the stand, connecting to the otherwise completely tubular iSight, and then clips into a piece of plastic. For Apple Cinema Display users (and this is why I had to buy one!) it then attaches magnetically to the top of the display. It actually looks like it's screwed on or something!

Of course, all I had to do was plug the camera in. There was nothing to install or set up.

New Mac's seem to be featuring integrated iSights more and more, which is ultimately better for everyone and much cheaper. But yet again their design skills are overwhelming.

Now, let me go find something to remortgage so I can do a Supermarket Sweep of the Apple Store!

getti
12th April 2006, 03:39 PM
Right ben, now you have ichat there is no reason why you cant be in a podcast as a special guest :p

solo12002
15th April 2006, 01:16 PM
Oh why oh why did I look at this. I ve been using windows for years and like many others im P@@ed of with security problems, patches etc. Im currently in the last 6 weeks of a BA(Hons) degree involving ICT and every one bar a few on the course use I Macs.

I had been thinking of changing for the last few years, the more I hear the good news on imacs the more I want one, only bad thought in my head is, within the NHS we use windows, how will I cope working across both and will the i macs take all me work etc?

Ben
15th April 2006, 03:46 PM
Well there's good news :)

Firstly, I cope fine using both OS X and Windows. You'll adapt very quickly, and I actually appreciate having both OSs available to me.

Secondly, and finally, Intel Macs can also boot Windows. So, if the iMac, for example, was to be your only computer, you could actually 'dual-boot' it with Windows so that when you do get that piece of work that just wont open on OS X you can restart into Windows XP.

Boot Camp, as it's called, is still in Beta, but is largely stable enough for consumer use. You might want to consult the pro's at Macrumors.com, though, if you want further advice and information.

solo12002
17th April 2006, 10:06 PM
Thanks Ben for the information, however I think Talk3G should fully sponser the price of a brand new i Mac ??

LOl - I wish!