View Full Version : The Flext Effect.

@NickyColman
15th April 2006, 08:34 PM
With the rising popularity of -T-Mobiles new Flext plan, what can we expect to see happen in the UK market from here on in?

Will the other networks counter Flexts value with more minutes, more texts, more desperation?

Or will someone take the Flext package, give it a lick of paint, give it a similar name and wait for the custom?

Could Flext have long term repercutions within the market?! Or could Flext simply fizzle out and have only a slight impact like ThreePay did a year or two ago?

What do YOU, humble reader of this forum, think Flexts eventuall effect will be?

Ben
15th April 2006, 09:37 PM
I'm almost certain that there will be reactionary changes to the other networks priceplans and special offers to slow down the T-Mobile charge within the next month or two. Currently the vast majority of new connections via independents in the UK are going onto Flext, and the other networks will only tollerate that for so long.

However, as with when Three launched their low-priced tariffs, we may well see some very complicated tariffs and offers emerging before any base tariff slashing begins. A good example of this is Orange's Animal plans which, despite me having loads of literature on from Mobile Today, is still completely befuddling.

Vodafone are rumoured to be sitting it out for now, but will no doubt keep their online deals keen.

Ultimately, and unfortunately, I think it'll be a little while before we see anything with the transparency of Flext popping up again.

solo12002
15th April 2006, 11:00 PM
I agree Ben, more the reason to buy now and go with it not to forget its 25% off for life what ever that means.

I dont know of one network that gives transparency in any ot its price plans, we have wepay were you pay more to get some back, treats from o2 (My playgirl is on order) and sSTC on vodafone but its not on all plans.

With flext you see what you are getting, yes more can be done, but for now noone is beating it or even trying to

Hands0n
16th April 2006, 12:09 AM
The current Flext 25% off for life promotion ends at the end of this month, according to the staff at the T-Mobile store where I got my 6280 today. So if anyone is after yet a further saving they'd better get down to their local T-Mobile store pretty sharpish (or buy online from the T-Mobile website).

The "25% off for life" is just that - for the life of your contract with them. They do warn in the small print that changing your price plan may lose you the discount - but [as I read it] this would involve leaving Flext for another of their plans.

I agree with the above regarding Flext's transparency - it is blindingly simple, straightforward and completely understandable. More than that, it is what it says, and that is Flexible. The de-rigeur plans of today with their rigid mix of voice and text bundles works, but the inherent inflexibility often means that the Customer goes out of bundle and with a significant cost penalty attached. With Flext that liklihood is somewhat removed as long as the Customer buys enough up front.

The store manager reported that they were selling Flext like crazy. Even while I was there three customers came in and purchased Flext plans (I was the only one who wanted Web 'n Walk though).

I just love Vodafone's STC - it is saving me tons of minutes off my contracted allowance, and I'll probably have to adjust the plan [downwards] when my initial six months is up.

The other networks leave me stone cold at the moment. Orange have lost the plot entirely, also my custom of several years standing. I have yet to meet anyone in my daily travels who understands Orange's "animals". O2 do nothing for me, their tariffs are stuck in a time warp as far as I am concerned. The MVNOs have some interesting snippets, but they are in the margins, I have never felt much warmth towards them. I do not believe they ever did for tariff pricing what they suggested they would.

To answer the closing question - I do believe that Flext will have put the proverbial cat in among the pigeons. We will not necessarily see much action immediately but I reckon the boardrooms and marketing strategy teams are in overdrive trying to work out a suitable response without causing a shareholder rush away from their company. But these are all good signs that maybe [just maybe] the mobile operators are beginning to get a feel for the "stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap" model that works so well for the supermarkets. Flext may well be one of the stronger catalysts for a fundamental shift in the mobile ops tariffing mentality. I certainly hope so.

solo12002
16th April 2006, 12:26 PM
"The current Flext 25% off for life promotion ends at the end of this month, according to the staff at the T-Mobile store where I got my 6280 today. So if anyone is after yet a further saving they'd better get down to their local T-Mobile store pretty sharpish (or buy online from the T-Mobile website)."

I intend to just waiting to see what the new web and walk pro add on is all about then I will sign up about the 28th of the month, thanks for reminding us slow coaches!!

Hands0n
16th April 2006, 01:10 PM
New Web 'n Walk Pro? Whassat then?

solo12002
16th April 2006, 02:39 PM
I understood there was a new web and walk pro being rreleased on 18/19th apr at £10 pm to permit you to use handset as moden and laptop?

Hands0n
16th April 2006, 03:24 PM
Kewl, I'd certainly have some of that :) as would most no doubt! If that comes off they'd be in a good position to clean up the marketplace. The other nets are going to hate them for that.

3GScottishUser
16th April 2006, 05:34 PM
Once you get to the bundles of minutes and texts that Flext buys for the monthly subscription there is a logic that suggests another network might just go the whole road and offer unlimited voice calling to landlines and mobiles and texts to UK networks for a fixed monthly fee. I suspect about £30 would be about right with add-ons available for International calls, content and Internet use.

Most customers buying Flext 35 wont use 900 voice minutes a month or send the max number of texts either. The proposition is very appealing and a world away from complex offerings that include videocalls, downloads and other stuff that most folks dont really want.

My prediction is that someone will offer unlimited use for a fixed fee before too long otherwise T-Mobile will have all the contract customers to themselves. BTW can can anyone think up anything simpler than the above. Lets brand it 'Total' and sell the rights to one of the networks. Sign up for 'Total' and the price you see is the total you pay for all UK calls and texts..... every month. A definate prospect with CEO's like Arun Sarin of Vodafone predicting a fixed price future when mobile networks become wireless ISP's.

Hands0n
16th April 2006, 05:42 PM
There is much merit in a flat-fee unlimited pacakage. Its also an easier sum for the Finance Department to work out the annual profit and loss. If they have 15 million customers at £30 a pop guaranteed for 18 months, then they have a very predictable cashflow. With that knowledge a company can manouvre much more flexibly than they could with the variable spend of per-second/minute billing and complex zooalogical tariffs.

Yes, I reckon your prediction will come to bear - probably via some kind of convergence offering, but maybe [thanks to T-Mobile doing Flext now] it may have to come sooner rather than later.

solo12002
16th April 2006, 05:47 PM
This is my understanding of the new web and walk pro fome one of the guys who works for t-mobile.

"The professional bundle is for the heavy user and gives a 2gb data usage policy with both high speed uploads and downloads ( with 3g speeds are obviously slower on GPRS ) this is £9.99 a month to be released on the 19th."

I understand that you will be able to use your handset as a moden the current package does not permit that, i think we will have to wait untill the 18/19th to find out, unless any t-mobile staff are on line now?

solo12002
16th April 2006, 05:49 PM
" Most customers buying Flext 35 wont use 900 voice minutes a month or send the max number of texts either"

I tottaly agree with the above, but as you can currently get this for £27 ppm I still take it as n oone can beat it, even on threepay its about £25pm for 500 mins is it not?

3GScottishUser
16th April 2006, 05:50 PM
If they offer that £9.99 deal they'll kill every other data offer in the marketplace stone dead.

T-Mobile appear to mean business these days. They aint messing about any more.

Just a couple of months back one would have thought the networks would have been fearful of Hutchison, a lot has changed with Flext and I suspect we are now just at the beginning of a real shake up that will probably end up with at least one big casulaty.

gorilla
16th April 2006, 08:25 PM
I wont sign up for flext because it is an 18 month contract. It is a cracking concept though and T-Mobile should be congratulated for being innovative.

Hands0n
16th April 2006, 08:43 PM
I was of the same mind regarding 18 month contracts. What changed it for me was simply that for the next 18 months I can accurately plan my cashflow with regard to mobile phone contracts. The only thing that will change that result will be if I purchase any Content - something that I typically do not do.

Of course, I'll not be able to take advantage of the developments over the next 18 months, which are likely to be extensive and exciting. But in my frame of reference I can live with this. It really is that much of a very personal choice. Which does not make it any easier offering suggestions and advice on forums such as T3G :)

3GScottishUser
16th April 2006, 10:29 PM
18 months is not that long. I am 11 months into my Vodafone contract now with the Samsung Z500 and I still feel happy. I'm not that desparate to change as I still like the phone and the service has been up to standard.

Come December when I am due an upgarde there might be something tempting but I will weigh up the options then. Meantime my motto is if it aint broke - dont fix it... and I dont feel in the least deprived of any new advances.

Hands0n
17th April 2006, 12:18 AM
Somewhat off topic and picking up on "if it aint broke ......" An interesting thought occurs regarding 18 month contracts.

The mobile handset typically has a 12-month warranty. So what does the punter do betwixt months 12 and 18 if the handset goes wrong? Does the mobile operator shrug their shoulders with an "It aint my problem mate" CS response?

Vodafone told me that I could upgrade after 12 months of an 18 month contract, and that may be their way of getting round the problem, as well as securing another 12 or 18 months custom. I cant see any such reference in the T-Mobile contract.

hecatae
17th April 2006, 08:11 AM
nokia have given 2 year manufacturer warranties since 2004 as far as I recall.

solo12002
19th April 2006, 07:02 PM
Lads nothing as yet on the t-mobile site . But I have found this:

http://www.scancom.co.uk/product.php/1632/722

Im not sure if the price is going to be cheaper on the t-mobile web site, as iI understood this was going to be around £10 pm, I also understood this was to permitt handset use to, unless the £10 one is??

Hands0n
19th April 2006, 07:24 PM
Good find. From what you say and on the scancom website it may well be that the tenner just gets you the unlimited entitlement without the "free" T-Mobile WiFi Hotspot access (unless they've got the N80 in mind!).

Those are very keen prices and will blow away the other networks who don't even come close - regardless of contract commitment of 12, 18 and 24 months. Providing the card works as well as Vodafone's 3G/2G datacard (which is the standard to meet or beat) then you're looking at unprecedented value for money. T-Mobile score again.

What on Earth has brought this attitude on with T-Mobile, a company who I've always considered boring and lacklustre in terms of Tariffs and Contracts. Overnight they've gone and painted on a whole fresh set of spots :)

solo12002
19th April 2006, 07:27 PM
"What on Earth has brought this attitude on with T-Mobile, a company who I've always considered boring and lacklustre in terms of Tariffs and Contracts. Overnight they've gone and painted on a whole fresh set of spots"

I dont know for years I though they had lost the plot, now out of the blue comes a new t-mobile, I am not after the laptop datagard, but for those that are, it sure beat others on price.