View Full Version : How much can you Web N Walk?

Hands0n
19th April 2006, 09:08 PM
I had wondered about this, how much data exactly are you allowed to use on Web 'n Walk before you are likely to start falling foul of the FUP (Fair Use Policy)?

It seems that Hugh Symmons have the information in their April magazine

Web N Walk
From 1st April Web N Walk is available to add to either
Flext or Relax. £7.50 will provide 40Mb of Internet access
on your phone with no worries of running up a high bill.
With more phones becoming compatible and a choice of
either 12 or 18 month contract options everyone can stay
one step ahead and receive unlimited Internet surfing on
the move.

URL = http://www.hughsymonscommunications.co.uk/documents/hscm/pdf/3_2006_hscm_pdf_5pric_apr.pdf - scroll to page 10.

Now that is probably quite a bit of data to the handset although I have managed to use 4,153,305 (received) data in the past three days just on T-Mobile's WAP while I wait for the Opera-mini browser access to be released. I'm typically a News browser, with some occasional access to sites like Talk3G. So, any heavier use and I'm very likely to break the 40Mb "limit", then what?

Interestingly though, T-Mobile do not actually state a limit on their Web N Walk pages (as far as I've been able to see anyroadup). So maybe Hughsymmons got it ...... not quite right ......

solo12002
19th April 2006, 09:17 PM
I agree. But if you cast your mind back to the old web and walk price plan which give you about 100 mins it was 40MB on that plan, now with the new flext web and walk its unlimited as far as I can see, subject to fair use and fact you cant use mobile as moden.

By the way handSon do you get 3G speeds or GPRS speeds on your web and walk and what habdset do you use, Im thinking of the MDA pro if its 3g or just the compact if its not??

solo12002
19th April 2006, 09:28 PM
http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/operamini/

Has it not been released?

Hands0n
19th April 2006, 09:29 PM
Hi solo12002 - I am using the Nokia 6280 and it typically picks up 3G wherever I go, and it is purdy darn rootin tootin fast :D

Today I was in a really poor quality signal area (3, Vodafone and T-Mobile struggling - the latter winning BTW) and the handset was barely able to pick up a 2G signal (had one bar showing) so of course I really had to give it a go. The actual speed using T-Zones (all we're allowed at the moment) was noticeably below that of the same when in a 3G area. I'd say that it felt like half speed, images in particular took a time to load - even though they are tiny. Back in 3G-land the text and images appear at broadband-like speeds.

So yes, I do get 3G speeds on the 6280 (which is a 3G handset) and yes, it is noticeable compared to 2G/2.5G (the 6280 is EDGE compliant, dunno if T-Mobile are using EDGE in their 2G network).

Personally, I would not even consider a non-3G handset given the state of play now. Content size will consume what 3G can offer, let alone that available on 2G/2.5G. As D:Ream once sang ".... things can only get better..."

Hands0n
19th April 2006, 09:32 PM
http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/operamini/

Has it not been released?

Not yet for the 6280 (at least) although I am advised that N70 users have it. The manager at the T-Mobile shop said that it would be released during May 06, early on in the month he said. So for now us 6280 users are stuck using T-Zones with the handset's built-in browser. But it aint all bad, some sites don't render very well, so its best to stick with WAP or /mobile oriented sites. There's plenty to choose from (see Bleubean's "What WAP site" elsewhere on Talk3G).

Hands0n
19th April 2006, 09:42 PM
Hee hee ..... Just been playing with Opera Mini demo (http://www.opera.com/products/mobile/operamini/demo.dml) which is live! You can access Talk3G from there as if on a mobile handset :D

Its a bit clunky so you can type in at the keyboard where appropriate (i.e. Username and Pasword ).

The rendering of T3G website is better using Opera Mini than it is with the native 6280 T-Zones WAP browser.

petencl
19th April 2006, 10:51 PM
Highly doubt it's a 40Mb limit. Sounds like Hugh Symmons have mixed up their info with the old WnW contract tariff.

As you've already found out, there's nothing stopping any T-Mobile users from installing the original Opera mini java app (mini.opera.com) and using that instead of waiting for the T-Mob branded service to start.

Ben
20th April 2006, 04:36 AM
In the name of research, Hands0n, I strongly suggest 'fairly' heavy usage to see if 40MB is indeed some sort of unspoken limit. Providing there are no charges outlined in the T&C's I assume the worst they can do is send you a bitchy letter and/or slash your download speed for a while... maybe! :P

miffed
20th April 2006, 09:55 AM
Get a suitable device and you'll be surprised how much you can rack up

While O2 weren't charging I was getting up to around 100mb per month

This was just a mixture of email , MSN , Logmein -which enabled me to control my PC desktop from my XDA exec , and just general browsing

admittedly , I was making absolutely no effort to economise whatsoever ! (it was free after all ) and I did actually use GPRS for checking mail while at home and I couldn't be bothered to get up and walk to the PC
I also used a live webcasting app - which was free and worked suprisingly well over 2.5g , (can't remember it's name !) but I have rwemoved it now , as I assume it would be against the W&W fair use policy

auturge
29th April 2006, 07:22 AM
I've carefully studied the T&Cs for both of these plans (I like to know what I'm signing up for). Both plans have different "fair use" policies.

The standard Web'n'walk deal has restrictions on what you can use it for, but no fixed transfer limit. The key restriction is that you are only permitted to use it from your handset. T-Mobile seem to be relying upon this as the fundamental determinant of how much bandwidth is used: people just aren't going to move as many bytes on their handsets as they would from laptops. In addition, a few high-bandwidth applications are explicitly banned (video download, video/audio streaming, peer-to-peer file transfer), as are a couple of applications that they fear will cannibalize their own revenues: voice over IP and "messaging over IP" (which I take to refer to services such as Hotxt). The penalty for violating these restrictions is having a bandwidth limitation placed on your account.

The *old* Web'n'walk tariffs had a 40MB transfer limit. This is quite probably why we continue to see it advertised by Hugh Symons and others.

Web'n'walk Professional has a 2GB limit. The penalty for consistently exceeding it (two or more months in a row) is a bandwidth limitation. Use from a laptop is permitted - in fact, that's what the tariff is specifically intended for - and it does not have the restrictions on downloads, streaming and P2P. VOIP and MOIP are still prohibited, and here's my favourite bit: the penalty for violating this restriction is termination of all contracts with the customer. This could be a handy loophole should one want to prematurely end one's contract...

auturge
29th April 2006, 07:25 AM
Not yet for the 6280 (at least) although I am advised that N70 users have it.

Opera Mini is a Java-based browser intended for non-smartphone handsets. The N70 is a Series 60 Symbian smartphone, and thus able to run the "real" Opera Mobile browser (which, indeed, comes bundled with the handset). There's not much point to using Opera Mini on it.

Hands0n
30th April 2006, 08:15 PM
To anyone with a Nokia 6280 on T-Mobile with Web N Walk - don't forget that Monday 1st May 2006 is the day that the WNW Opera Mini browser should become effective. We should as of tomorrow be able to see websites as they should be!

Woo hoo :D

@NickyColman
30th April 2006, 10:32 PM
Im guessing you havent got the text yet Hands0n?

Thursday i received one from T-Mobile that goes as follows;

"The launch of Web'n'Walk for your phone has moved to 20th May. As a goodwill gesture we will add £7.50 credit to your account in June, July and August. T-Mobile"

Hands0n
30th April 2006, 10:42 PM
Oh, no I didn't, booooo! Cor :D £7.50 :)

@NickyColman
1st May 2006, 01:40 PM
Although this is a delay im still very impressed with -T-Mobile, because you can still effectively Web&Walk simply by using a) Opera Mini that you can download for free or b) the built in basic browser.

So really, they are giving us £.750 for not being able to use a browser.

Im so in love!! :D :D