View Full Version : CPW free Broadband

miffed
26th April 2006, 08:55 AM
This free Broadband for life thing

I have spoken to at least 20 people over the last few days that have signed up for this !

Would it be fair to speculate that they may have a few problems with the sheer volume of uptake ?

Personally I'm going to steer clear at least till rush has gone

Ben
26th April 2006, 12:54 PM
That's quite possible. The advertised service is only available to about 70% of the population as it, as far as I am aware, relies on local loop unbundling. That service may well take a hit. Outside of that, though, the BT-based services should be unaffected - not that anyone would want them.

I haven't heard any horror stories though. Perhaps TalkTalk actually got it right?

gorilla
26th April 2006, 02:05 PM
It's the 18 month contract I would be wary about. As it stands, if you can get it, then it's £21 a month for line rental, landline calls and broadband which is a fantastic deal. However, surely this must be making all the other operators sweat and they have to bring out competitive offerings? I can't get this at the moment, so I'm waiting to see what happens in the market.
Now if a mobile operator offered a 40gb download offer (even only over 3g) I would happily show the landline the door... I really should stop day dreaming!

Hands0n
26th April 2006, 07:56 PM
Keep daydreaming, it'll become a reality in due course. Of that I am absolutely positive. Moreso as the official mobile network operators (the 5) buy up ISPs and move ever more towards delivering (rather than simply talking about) convergence - the mid-2000's byword.

I really can see the day arrive when the 3G HSDPA device (mobile handset and/or data card) need be the only WAN service in the home - when you're there of course. Given the number of contract minutes and Vodafone's STC I barely have use of my landline anymore!

miffed
27th April 2006, 07:58 AM
I must admit , I am closer to dropping my landline than I have ever been

As I always have about 4-5 mobile contracts running (all line rental costs set off against the cost buying the handsets I want) I have loads of free minutes

(at least 1000 Off peak x net & approx 1500 anytime )

So I only really use the landline for 0800 numbers , and to have a fixed "incoming" number that isn't a mobile number - as I don't think it is fair for my friends / Family to have to ring a mobile number to talk me

VOIP looks great - But I had to stop myself from buying a kit from Tescos the other day - as I really don't need it ATM !

But I do think the landlines days are limited now

rabmc
27th April 2006, 09:46 AM
the only reason i have a landline is cos i had to take it as part of the connection deal with my broadband!!

The only reason I use the landline is to say "no - i don't want double glazing!"

3GScottishUser
27th April 2006, 06:29 PM
I read somewhere that along with the monthly rental of £20.99 there is a £29.99 connection charge which is fair..... but also a £75 disconnection charge!!

Read the small print carefully - as ever!