View Full Version : New T-mobile Payg Plan

solo12002
27th April 2006, 01:09 PM
Flat-rate 12p per minute on voice calls at any time and to any network. Heavy texters will be offered a similar 3p per text, any network, any time deal. The deals will be available from next month.

http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/artman-test/publish/article_1408.shtml

Hands0n
27th April 2006, 02:04 PM
New UK MD Jim Hyde wants the UK business to make the same impact on prepay as it has made on contract with Flext. The deals are similar to the no-nonsense format of easyMobile and Tesco.

I'm sure that he will achieve this particular ambition :D More power to Jim Hyde's elbow if this is what he has done with T-Mobile already. Between him and Sarin the mobile network industry seems set to be shaken to its very boots! Good, and not before time too.

3GScottishUser
27th April 2006, 06:26 PM
Why would anyone buy anything else?

12p/min X/Net at all times and Mates rates at 5p a min to boot!

The transparancy of this deal will change the face of PAYG forever.

Well done again to T-Mobile.... they are making quite a habbit of shaking things up these days.

Ben
27th April 2006, 07:56 PM
Sounds pretty damn good, I'm looking forward to seeing the full details, especially of the Text Appeal 3p xnet tariff.

Hands0n
27th April 2006, 11:14 PM
I almost cannot await the industry's response to this! I reckon Vodafone will be an interesting one to watch. O2's response will be muted (ex-PTT monolith). Orange's response will be non-existent, they've lost the plot entirely at the moment. 3 will be running around shouting "The sky is falling, the sky is falling". I am not even going to speculate on the MVNOs save to suggest that easyMobile will probably respond the most aggressively.

Actually, I wonder if this is not going to be a big spoiler for 3G in general! No mention of these [T-Mobile] plans and PAYG being available on 3G with T-Mobile. Although Vodafone PAYT is 3G enabled and so I suspect that T-Mobile will have to get their finger out in that respect.

The current easyMobile tariff is

Prepay tariff

Itemised Billing Charge: Free
Landline Peak: 15p
Landline Off-Peak: 15p
Same Network Peak: 3p
Same Network Off-Peak: 3p
Other Network Peak: 15p
Other Network Off-Peak: 15p
Voicemail Peak: 15p
Voicemail Off-Peak: 15p
SMS: Same network 1p and 5p to all other networks
MMS: 20p * until 31st May, normal price 30p
GPRS: £3 per megabyte of download

Ben
28th April 2006, 02:14 AM
Actually, I wonder if this is not going to be a big spoiler for 3G in general!
I was under the impression that, like Vodafone, T-Mobile's SIM stock is all 3G-capable, ie they haven't restricted access to their 3G network to the new USIMs and so it can be accessed by any old sod. If so, then good for them - they're budgeting that over the next few years they'll be migrating customers to 3G with minimum efforts and reaping the benefits.

Hands0n
28th April 2006, 07:41 AM
I was under the impression that, like Vodafone, T-Mobile's SIM stock is all 3G-capable, ie they haven't restricted access to their 3G network to the new USIMs and so it can be accessed by any old sod.

Oi! Not so much of the "old sod" you :D

Actually, you are 100% right the T-Mobile SIM stock is 3G-capable and it is really only down to the handset's capabilities whether or not it picks up a 3G signal. T-Mobile seem to be playing down their 3G network at the moment and I think that must have lulled me into a sense of stupidity :rolleyes: . I've got a T-Mobile PAYG SIM somewhere in this pile of junk I call my study, must chuck it into one of my 3G handsets and see if I can get it to play ball. My Voda PAYT SIM is showing 3G on a LG U8120. The easyMobile (MVNO on T-Mobile network) SIM will only lock onto 2G.

solo12002
28th April 2006, 10:13 AM
The facts - t-mobile PAYG follow the link:

http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?pf=Pay+as+you+go&nmid=pas_pp_plan_payg_details&ppid=26&nmid2=ctl_pas_pp_details&menuid=ctl_pas_pp_change_plan&chosenPricePlan=payg

Ben
28th April 2006, 02:40 PM
Oh my! That Text Appeal. Wow. Urgh, 3p xnet... always? Wow.

Wow. And 20% extra free on topups over £20.

Did the other networks die or something? What the hell is going on?

3GScottishUser
28th April 2006, 03:53 PM
They are doing PAYG SIM's for £2 with free delivery just now!!

Hands0n
28th April 2006, 03:59 PM
Life just doesn't get any better :) ........................................ Or does it? Come on Vodafone, response please :D

solo12002
28th April 2006, 07:01 PM
I hear vodafone intends to have new PAYG plans with free mins, but at what cost I also hear they not be out until June!

solo12002
28th April 2006, 07:03 PM
"They are doing PAYG SIM's for £2 with free delivery just now!! I know I just had to order one to replace the o2 one I have with x net calls at 40p

Hands0n
28th April 2006, 07:30 PM
I really have absolutely no need of a T-Mobile PAYG SIM, really I don't. And if I keep saying that often enough I just know that I'll not buy one before the weekend is out ;)

I've told just about anyone who'll listen (and quite a few who wont) about this deal from T-Mobile. I'm at risk of becoming a T-Mobile bore :D The invites to parties are drying up :eek:

I really cannot half believe what the company are up to these days. Not more than a month ago I'd have not countenanced anything to do with them. My last [corporate] experience with them was when they launched as One2One - it was not good. Since then I've occasionally reviewed their tariffs. But Flext and now this on PAYG has absolutely blown me away! So much so that I ditched 3 and went to T-Mobile with their Flext 35 + Web N Walk. It was simply too good to resist.

But I'm also with Voda and am interested to see what their response will be. I cannot imagine Sarin letting them do nothing. Even moreso I am eager to see what the other three respond with. We should get a bet going :D

Ben
28th April 2006, 08:05 PM
I think one problem is that none of the other networks want to be seen as reactionary - least of all Vodafone. After leading the way in value-added facilities with Passport and Stop the Clock, offers that are actually easy enough for the public to understand and make use of, core tariff structures remain unchanged and data rates artificially high.

I think Vodafone and Sarin probably do have ideas and maybe even plans about where they want to go with their tariffs and services in the immediate future. However, T-Mobile's moves have cast a very large shadow - one that no network wants to have cast over it while it's trying to get press attention of its own.

If T-Mobile's new moves become their norm and they don't backtrack then we'll definitely see competing offers from the other networks in time. But no one wants to be the first to jump.

solo12002
28th April 2006, 08:17 PM
"But no one wants to be the first to jump"

By which time any one with a bit of sense will of taken up the offer of 25% of flext and the PAYG offer of all calls bing 12p

Hands0n
28th April 2006, 08:59 PM
Hmmmmm - I found a brand new T-Mobile SIM card that I didn't use as part of a handset/SIM purchase earlier this year for a relative (we wanted the handset, not the SIM). Having popped it into an LG U8120 I observe that it finds the T-Mobile 2G network but cannot log into the 3G network automatically or manually! Grrrrrr. Not sure why at the moment. The Motorola A835 didn't like it at all, wouldn't go past the Motorola power up logo. The Motorola A1000 is much happier and finds the 3G portion of T-Mobile's network! Go figure :p

Interestingly also; we've had the card a few months now so it is by no means current. I thought I'd see if I could change PAYG tariff to one of the new ones, but it will not let me. It may be because the card is pre-loaded at purchase with £10 - so all I have access to is Relax and Mates Rates, both of which I've never liked and which kept T-Mobile's PAYG at bay from my home and castle!

So, it seems as if anyone with an old T-Mobile SIM is stuck with Mates Rates and Relax. If you want the new PAYG tariffs then you'll have to buy one of their new SIMs for £2 or a SIM/Handset package. Unless, as Esther used to say, someone knows differently.

Ben
28th April 2006, 10:21 PM
Hmm, maybe you do need to top up before you can change tariffs. Or maybe call CS? Either way, it's an expensive/time consuming/not very fun experiment. I might have some old T-Mob PAYG SIMs around somewhere, I should have a play myself when I get chance (no 3G here though, morons!).

solo12002
28th April 2006, 10:53 PM
Hands on you Olde, go to specsavers or read the details;

Your phone will be delivered on Everyone pay as you go. Switching to another plan is easy, just dial 146 FREE of charge once you've topped up for the first time.

Does that help!!

Hands0n
28th April 2006, 10:57 PM
Nah solo12002 - y'see the handset/SIM was bought well before this latest offer from T-Mobile so the SIM/account is set for Relax or Mates Rates only. Dial 146 and those are the only two offers on errr ummm offer . The SIM comes pre-loaded with the tenner so I guess they dont want to give away the latest for money spent a while back. Bar Stewards. :D

solo12002
29th April 2006, 09:44 AM
Ah but I ofer you hope is this because the new plans offically dont kick of untill the 1st of May, will it change then??

Hands0n
29th April 2006, 04:10 PM
Ah, good point. I hadn't thought of that .... best try again 1st May then ....

*makes note in 6280 diary*

Hands0n
7th May 2006, 08:46 PM
Just a footnote to my previous postings - today I changed the plan for the PAYG to " Everyone". The selection simply was not there at the time I tried back on 28th April. I'm guessing that the new PAYG price plans did not start until 1st May.

The recorded announcement did say that once I'd selected a price plan that I could not change it subsequently. Not sure if that is permanently or if I'm tied into a fixed period before I can change again.

solo12002
7th May 2006, 08:54 PM
Hands on I dont know why but of you have 50p to spare you can buy a new t-Mobile sim card from their site?

solo12002
7th May 2006, 08:56 PM
Oh hands on Ive got a sim here it staes in the booklet:

" You can change price plan whenever you want by calling 146 from your T-Mobile"

Hands0n
7th May 2006, 08:56 PM
Yea, I know solo12002 - I had this spare, brand new, T-Mobile SIM so figured it was worth trying to use it. And now it is on the PAYG tariff that I wanted so I'm happy :)