View Full Version : Mobile Network Operators, how do exactly you respond to T-Mobile these days?

Hands0n
28th April 2006, 07:44 PM
So that is the current twenty million dollar question. Under the guidance of their new M.D. T-Mobile have suddenly come out of the stalls with a number of absolutely stonking tariffs relating to Voice/SMS/MMS (Flext (http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?menuid=plans_flext)), Internet (Web N Walk (http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?menuid=plans_webnwalk)) and now PAYG (http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?pf=Pay+as+you+go&nmid=pas_pp_plan_payg_details&ppid=26&nmid2=ctl_pas_pp_details&menuid=ctl_pas_pp_change_plan&chosenPricePlan=payg). They have also got Web N Walk Pro (http://www.t-mobile.co.uk/Dispatcher?menuid=plans_webnwalk_proplans&chosenPricePlan=pmt) off the blocks which is a 2GB pcm offering for twenty quid, data card thrown in free if you take it on 18 months contract!

It is all a very aggressive push for business and one that I am certain will make a big dent in the other four main mobile network providers and certainly a number of the MVNOs that are in existence.

So what do you make of it? Are T-Mobile going to change the face of mobile network tariffs forever with these kind of offers? Bear in mind that these are not limited-time, they are part of T-Mobile's portfolio.

Are T-Mobile in the business of sparking off an all out price war? Who will seriously compete with them and how? The next few weeks will be quite telling. But can any of the operators make a serious inroad to T-Mobile, or will they just have to face up to and live with an anticipated atrition?

So a little poll to gauge your feelings and thoughts on this. Please offer an explanation of your vote if you feel inclined to.

Hands0n
28th April 2006, 07:53 PM
I bought in.

My time with 3 was up and I was scouting around for a new tariff both on 3 and elsewhere. Then T-Mobile came up with Flext and Walk N Web so it was a no brainer when I stacked up the numbers against what else was available. T-Mobile was head and shoulders above the rest.

Concerns about their 1800MHz network were unfounded - I ran an assessment with one of their MVNOs SIMs and got strong reception everywhere I went. 3G is solid with very little drop to 2G or complete loss - the latter being in areas where the other networks perform no better.

So I'm a happy bunny.

Ben
28th April 2006, 07:59 PM
I think this puts much needed downward pressure on tariff prices, and also is a boon for simplicity in the mobile space. I haven't bought, however, and probably wont in the immediate future.

I still have concerns, probably unfounded, about the 1800MHz network and I still don't warm to the -T-Mobile brand *funny tune*. I guess that just goes to show how important branding can be... I love the Vodafone brand, but their 'innovative streak' came to an end quite some time ago.

I do, however, recommend T-Mobile readily these days.

3GScottishUser
30th April 2006, 10:46 AM
I think the peeny has dropped at T-Mobile that it is better to have a little of something than all of nothing. They must be looking over their shoulder thinking 'whay are we selling airtime to the likes of easymobile etc allowing them to undercut us?'. I imagine similar questions being raised at 02 and Vodafone where MVNO's now undercut the network owners own pricing.

T-Mobile have long been a significant player in the UK but have been (like the rest) firmly entrenched in the 200 mins for £30 a month club. 3 appear to have correctly concluded that mobile users tend to have set usage patterns and it does not matter if you give away 200, 500 or 1000 minutes - the usage pattern will probably be the same and the important factor is the regular monthly revenue which we all know is somewhere around £25 - £40 for the average contract customer.

T-Mobile's Flext has broken the mould now and opened the door to real competition. There is some posturing going on now with Vodafone offering better on-line and in-store deals and extending the value of inclusive talktime with stop the clock. 02 have responded with their 3G talker and texter tariffs and Orange have improved value with their 'animals' offering. All of the companies appear to have realised that its worth offering just about anything to get that magic £35 a month from customers.

I expect further reductions from the majors. Vodafone and 02 will certainly revise tariffs later this year and that has to be good news for cutomers. I am sure all of the majors will try to confuse pricing by getting involved with broadband and landline products. Tripleplay - one price for three services - makes comparing things more difficult but sometimes can be a better deal, so we shall see. First to offer a tripleplay deal will be Orange and it looks like they will be doing a CPW by offering free broadband if you have their landline and mobile service.

3 set the ball rolling back in 2003 with Videotalk 500 and 750 at £25 and £35 a month. I think they have lost the plot in terms of pricing. They have added texts and now video and prices have went in the opposite direction from everone else!! VTT700 is £35 a month and VTT1100 is a whopping £45 although they try to further confuse the issue with limited period half price line rental reductions in an attempt to make the headline pricing look competitive. On pre-pay 3's strategy with 'WePay' is nothing more than a silly attempt to shift the agenda away from the cost of calls. At 30p/min X/Net and 10p/text it looks pretty expensive even if you manage to get 5p credit for every call received and 2p per text. I hope customers are not duped by the notion they are getting something for free and consider the true costs in relation to other services available.

All in all - the latest deals have been great for customers. There is no doubt that the cost of calling is falling!! Only a slight reservation - there will be some fallout from all of this and I suspect both Brian McBride (ex T-Mobile MD) and Peter Erskine (CEO Telefonica - 02) are right in predicting a 'significant casualty' within the next 12 - 18 months. I dont think it now matters if 5 becomes 4 networks in the UK as there are now sufficient players to ensure that competition will keep prices in check and make networks innovative about products and services.

solo12002
30th April 2006, 01:43 PM
"There is some posturing going on now with Vodafone offering better on-line and in-store deals and extending the value of inclusive talktime with stop the clock. 02 have responded with their 3G talker and texter tariffs and Orange have improved value with their 'animals' offering. All of the companies appear to have realised that its worth offering just about anything to get that magic £35 a month from customers"

but they are still missing the point users want are easy to understand clear prices, most of these are crap offers, in that you get a reduced period of line rental or increased in mins for a period.

Flext has been going almost two months now, the best other networks can do is shown above, vodafone currently offer 100o text messagesto keep users, I have to question wht its taken the other networks so long to cum up with new plans, i understand that vodafone may have new ones for PAYG in june which inc free mins, but I wonder what the cost will be, will it be the end of STC or the amount you need to top up per month to obtain then, I have to wait and see.

As for data, god look at what t-mobile has done, 2Gb for 320 pm, yes there are limits on what you can do , but none of the networks have even triedto match it.

maxspank
19th June 2006, 09:03 AM
I will be going with T-mobile as soon as I can with the flext and web and walk tarrif. It's just a shame that they don't have a great handset offering. Might have to go with the MDA Compact II , looks like its the best they're offering at the mo.

whatleydude
19th June 2006, 09:27 AM
I'm giving serious thought to leaving Vodafone after ten years of good/happy service with them..

T-Mobile have done well.

3GScottishUser
19th June 2006, 10:33 AM
I am thinking along similar lines but my usage pattern with STC provides me with enough inclusive allowance already and Passport is a major benefit when travelling. I have to also add that Vodafone CS has been a pleasure to deal with and just might be the saving factor for them along with their fantastic range of 3G handsets.

All in all its getting harder to choose nowadays.... but thats good aint it!!

hecatae
19th June 2006, 08:10 PM
my webnwalk 100 changes to flext20 on the 24th....