View Full Version : Exclusive LG U8200 for T-Mobile

3GScottishUser
13th April 2005, 04:07 PM
From MobileGazette.com (10/03/2005):

Another addition to the popular LG U8000 series of handsets, the LG U8200 will be available exclusively on T-Mobile's 3G network.

Underneath the interesting styling, the U8200 builds on the foundations of other handsets in the range to come up with a decent handset that lies somewhere in the mid to upper range of 3G phones on the market.

The LG U8200 comes with all the usual 3G features we're familiar with, such as video calling and high-speed data. Added to this, the U8200 has a rotating 1.3 megapixel camera, Bluetooth, WAP 2.0 browser, email client, MP3 ringtones and access to T-Mobile's "Mobile Jukebox". There's 64Mb of internal memory, and this is expandable (although we don't know for certain what format the cards are). Technical specifications are a little vague, so we're not sure if the LG U8200 has MP3 playback or not.

The internal display is a pretty standard 176x220 pixel TFT unit in 262,000 colours, which is what you'd expect. There's a smaller 96x96 pixel 65,000 colour panel on the outside too. Size and weight are to be confirmed, but the U8200 will be about 90x50x24mm and 125 grams.

In addition to 3G capabilities, the LG U8200 has tri-band GSM (900/1800/1900) and GPRS. Expected to be available from July 2005 in Germany, and at other times in other regions where T-Mobile is launching 3G networks.

Full Report and U8200 Images (http://www.mobilegazette.com/lg-u8200.htm)

Ben
14th April 2005, 03:54 AM
You have to wonder, with this barrage of 'similar' LG handsets, just how prominent they are going to be in 3G long term. I'd always anticipated that they were a bit of a minor player when the LG U8110 came out on Three, regardless of a few people raving about what technically speaking didn't have a lot to rave about. The handsets are being updated almost in line with technology 'inflation', but some of these new announcements seem to have considerably more features than their past relations.

An Orange exclusive, a T-Mobile exclusive - they're really trying to get a foothold. I think we're going to be seeing a lot of LG's as 3G goes mainstream.

Jon3G
14th April 2005, 09:23 AM
All the handsets seem to be the same, and are getting very boring

3GScottishUser
14th April 2005, 10:51 AM
At least this one has bluetooth and that should make it more useable.

Have to agree that LG appear to have milked this design concept for what its worth now.....something more interesting required.

Ben
14th April 2005, 11:38 AM
I must add - that keypad looks like it'd be horrible to use... little round buttons all spaced out surely wont make for easy texting? Not wanting to stereotype or anything, but it looks like a handset aimed at the female market, and that's probably a good thing.

Jon3G
14th April 2005, 12:57 PM
All they really need to do is change the design and it will fool the idiots out there

Hands0n
20th April 2005, 09:35 PM
It looks like the IR got junked for BT if the spec on the link is correct. Shame really, as both have their place in the great scheme of things. But I'm pleased they brought on BT as it really does nark me that manufacturers still persist in making handsets without. Now all we need is for BT earsets to come down to reasonable [sub £20]prices. There really is no reason for them to be so expensive now theres a glut of models available (good place to check out is www.mobilefun.co.uk). Sorry, I digress.

Back on topic :) I really do wonder at the supposed wisdom of LG to release near-on half a dozen models within 12 or so months! Grasping in the dark maybe? Very odd.