View Full Version : Nokia Sensor

tuk485
9th May 2006, 11:02 AM
Has anyone else tried this excellent application?

Nokia Sensor (http://europe.nokia.com/nokia/0,1522,,00.html?orig=/sensor)

Nokia Sensor is a spontaneous, sociable application for spontaneous, sociable people. With Nokia Sensor you can create your own personal pages - called a folio - on your phone. Then you can check out the folios of other Sensor users nearby, exchange messages, and share files.

Connect on the Spot
Nokia Sensor uses Bluetooth wireless technology, which means that it works within a 'circle' of up to 10 meters around your phone.

When other Sensor phones come within this circle, your phone can 'sense' them and you can see their folios and send them messages. As soon as you step out of each other's circles, you are no longer able to communicate via Sensor.

Ben
9th May 2006, 12:05 PM
Yes, it's a curious application, but I didn't end up running it for long on my 6680. If you're in a densly populated area then I'd imagine it could be a lot of fun, but finding others with it installed isn't very easy. If Nokia want to do this they should make it a default application, not a user install one.

Yssybyl
9th May 2006, 06:12 PM
sounds like an easy way to "exchange" viruses... or is that just paranoia?

I don't think I'd want to have Bluetooth turned on permanently on the off chance I walked near someone who had the app installed. Or am I just a kill joy? :)

Ben
9th May 2006, 06:18 PM
It certainly raises questions as to the security of Bluetooth in general. It's a novel idea, but the fact that it remains hidden away on the Nokia site is a testament to its experimental nature.

3g-g
9th May 2006, 11:03 PM
I've had this on my 6680 for quite a while, in the pub, as you do, most of my group of friends search for other bluetooth devices in range. There's always lots of people, Nokias definately being the majority, however, I've yet to find another sensor user! And I'd taken the time like a proper geek and created a profile on my handset too!