View Full Version : Cheap 3G phone supporting data...

shenson
12th May 2006, 01:26 PM
Hi guys,

can anyone recommend a cheap 3G handset with data facilities? That is being able to connect a laptop for GPRS internet access e.g. via cable, IR or bluetooth. Don't really care about anything else as long as GPRS is stable.

It should be unlockable too if it isn't on T-mobile.

My reason for wanting one is that I'm on the T-mobile web'n'walk pro tariff on SIM only I'm using 2.5G GPRS but I want to take advantage of the quicker 3G data rates. I don't want to tie myself to a T-mobile contract until a HSPDA supporting handset is available which apparently will be some time away.

3GScottishUser
12th May 2006, 01:53 PM
Might be worth looking on e-bay for an older Nokia like the 7600 which can be used for data. You can pick those up (ex 3UK) unlocked for about £40 in good condition.

For a bit more you can get a Samsung Z140 from Vodafone and that can be unlocked with a keyboard input (see the Samsung section here).

Best bet might be the 7600 for data.

Hands0n
12th May 2006, 05:36 PM
You might also not go very wrong with an ex-3 Motorola A835 which should be picked up quite cheap - these have good comms, BT and USB cable at least. While a bit chunky they are nevertheless a solid performer. Unlocked and de-branded they are even better :D

shenson
20th August 2006, 01:35 PM
After various delays I got an old ex-3 A835 from Ebay. It was cheap because it was locked had no charger or data cable.

It however has a problem which has been reported by others: inserting a T-mobile SIM causes it to lock up on startup at the "M". Other SIMs cause it to say "enter subsidy code" which I'd expect.

I notice that it is apparently possible to reflash it with generic firmware (which I'd do anyway) using just a data cable. Can anyone confirm if this solves the T-mobile SIM problem?

solo12002
20th August 2006, 01:41 PM
suely if the mobile is locked, it needs to be unlocked to work on t-mobile? debranding it will not unlock it!

shenson
20th August 2006, 01:54 PM
Others have reported that an unlocked A835 also wont work with T-mobile SIMs but the last report of that was a couple of years ago with hints (but no confirmation) that debranding and reflashing with later firmware may fix the problem.

Since my handset also seems to have the same problem (wont start with T-mobile SIM but prompts for subsidy code with other SIMs) I'm asking if anyone knows that debranding/reflashing will fix this. I'd be wasting my money getting it unlocked if it didn't.

Ben
20th August 2006, 01:56 PM
If you can do it easily, it'd certainly be worth flashing the handset and seeing if it'll prompt for that subsidy code.

Hands0n
20th August 2006, 02:38 PM
Well I'll be a ................... !!!

I tried a T-Mobile USIM in two A835s - one unlocked the other unlocked/debranded and as Shenson reports the handset will not boot up beyond the Motorola power up logo.

I also tried an easyMobile USIM (a T-Mobile MVNO) with exactly the same result.

There must be something peculiar to the USIMs issued by T-Mobile (and their MVNOs) - but what exactly I don't know as I've not run across this before.

I also tried a Vodafone and O2 PAYT USIM in the two handsets and they came up fine with that.

The only thing that I noticed is that the Network options in the A835 allows for WCDMA and 1900 (but that can't be right as the Voda and O2 networks are not 1900MHz). But as a clue, it may well be that the A835 does not support UK PCN 1800MHz networks - although I'm not convinced as I am sure that I've used an Orange SIM in an A835 before!

shenson
20th August 2006, 06:06 PM
Ah heck. Does the unbranded A835 have the latest firmware?

I've seen some people report that some T-mobile SIMs work on the A835 but
I'm not sure if it depends on the SIM type or some A835 hardware differences in either case this is a lost cause for my A835 :(

Hands0n
20th August 2006, 06:18 PM
The firmware is probably about 9 months out of date ... but I'd have thought that there would not be a later version as the handset was already out of production when I bought them. I've never been a T-Mobile user until this year, wouldn't go near them until Flext came out :)

If you can identify a specific version that works then it would be no real difficulty to update the handset to that. If you have any forum links I could look at I'll take a peek and see if there is any hope for your A835 with that USIM.

It ain't over till the big bird sings :D

shenson
20th August 2006, 07:12 PM
A few versions are mentioned in www.3g.co.uk in the A835 section. One recent one mentions it allows MP3 ringtones.

According to those forums it is also possible to flash the phone with u15 firmware so that might work too.

Hands0n
20th August 2006, 10:11 PM
The A835s I have are both running U72.32.ODI firmware FLEX SE6917AXXW810D for what its worth.

I just found an old de-registered Orange SIM, popped it in and it has found the Orange network so thats my idea of the A835 not supporting PCN 1800MHz networks out of the window :D

So its going to be down to something rather odd that T-Mobile have in their USIM that the A835 does not like. If I come across a solution I'll post it up on here but meanwhile I think we must presume that T-Mobile USIMs will not work on the Motorola A835 handset! Bummer :(

Edit: Did a scout round one or two Unlocker sites I use and there does seem to be a problem, but not a solution to what appears to be very specific to T-Mobile and its MVNOs SIMs/USIMs.

shenson
26th August 2006, 01:16 AM
This one is a long shot... has anyone checked to see the SIM card is making proper contact with the holder? I notice that some of the traces on the T-mobile SIM card are narrower than other types.

Its a pity that the SIM holder is inside the phone on the A835 or it would be easy to check.

shenson
29th August 2006, 01:21 PM
Had another thought. A dual SIM adaptor could help check to see if it is a trace alignment problem.

That is: try dual SIM adapter with T-mobile SIM in any other phone, if it works try same in A835. If it is an alignment problem it should then work.

Not that I have a dual SIM adaptor.