View Full Version : Contract Value Update - Who Offers Most?

3GScottishUser
14th May 2006, 09:51 PM
A lot has been happening over the last few months so I thought it would be a good time to put togeher a comparison of what is available on all the networks for the same price.

You can get just about any handset you like for free on an 18 month deal now but who offers the most for your money after you get your phone?

I have picked the popular £35 a month price point and did some research to see what you get:

02 3G Tariff: 1000 X/net mins + 150 SMS or 750 X/Net Mins + 750 Texts monthly

T-Mobile Flext 35: - £180 allowance = 800 Mins X/Net + 200 Texts

Orange On-Line: 450 X/net mins + 500 Texts

Vodafone On-Line: 275 X/Net (STC = 3 mins charge for up to 60 mins off-peak) + 500 texts.

3: Talk/Text & Video 700: 400 X/Net Mins + 250 Texts + £5 downloads

So - It looks like things have really moved on. 02 seem to offer the most minutes for your £35, T-Mobile offer a great flexible mix. Orange are still very competitive if you just want talk and text and depending on your usage pattern Vodafone could provide the most talktime of the lot for the cash.

3 are advertising that they offer all contract customers everything right now... which they do but as can be seen from the above that inclusive video comes at the expense of voice and text allownaces that others now exceed for the same price. So they are not giving anything away really!!

I like to buy the basic service and prefer to add on what I decide is worth paying extra for. I think one can get a raw deal if you let the network choose what you should have so Flext looks like the most attractive contract option at the moment if your needs vary from month to month and you can adjust your tariff to meet your requirements after the initial period.

I hope the above has shed some light on what is on offer in terms of basic tariffs now but one has to shop around as there are always special offers and cashback deals that can make the above deals even better value. All of the above have been taken from the networks own direct offers and are based on standard tariffs. Not all handsets may be avialable free on all of the above tariffs - check with each network for details of specific offers.

getti
15th May 2006, 12:13 AM
There is a better deal on 3 for the basic's that you talk about having. Direct 1000 from 3 costing £30 a month gets you

Inclusive UK voice minutes 750 mins
Inclusive UK text messages 150 txt msgs
Inclusive UK video minutes 50 mins
Inclusive UK photo or video messages 50 messages
Free Downloads £5*

3GScottishUser
15th May 2006, 03:15 PM
The inclusive £5 worth of downloads (with the asterix) is a promotion and only available until 31.05.06.

Offer only available from 3 and you forfeit your 50% extra minutes etc if you change your price plan at any time. So it's £30 a month with no option to vary and whilst it represents good value its not as flexible as other networks offerings.

Fedz
17th May 2006, 09:33 PM
The £35 p/m, o2 online 500 talker plan is (as stated) 1,000 x-net, anytime minutes plus you get a free phone (new and upgrade customers) and bluetooth headset.

Am I correct that 1 voice minutes = 1 video minute.

This means you can in fact video call 1,000 minutes at no cost outside your £35 p/m tariff charge - unlike any of the other service providers.

If so o2 online 500 talker is (IMHO) far superior than any of the other providers.

Kind regards

3GScottishUser
17th May 2006, 10:55 PM
Welcome to Talk3g.co.uk....

Yes - 02 currently offer videocalling at normal voice rates but that is a promotional offer that could change at any time. Good deal while it lasts though and if you videocall its by far the best deal available in the UK presently.