View Full Version : upgrade time - but to what?

Frasman77
15th May 2006, 09:17 PM
Evening all,

Haven't posted here for months - since my last upgrade to the 6680.

Anyway, my contract is about 10 months old - time to start thinking about what to upgrade to.

I like the look of the spv m600 which got good reviews - obviously it's not 3g but it does have wireless. And it runs windows mobile and has push email. Having used a blackberry for work for a while now I can see push email is a useful tool and I could probably replace the blackberry altogether with this.

Alternatively the nokia n80 looks slick, I'm a big nokia fan and it has a better camera. I think I'm right in saying it doesn't run windows mobile though. Should that put me off?

Anyone know of any other phones on the horizon worth waiting a few months for that have a reasonable camera, preferably windows mobile, and or some sort of push email like my blackberry?

Cheers

Fraser

:D

stuartturrell
15th May 2006, 10:09 PM
Personally, in same situation as you, i am looking at the N80 myself. Wouldnt think of anything other than nokia either.

My time for upgrade is now up, so when N80 is ready for upgrade users (by end of week so told by orange cs today)i will be upgrading.

Ben
16th May 2006, 12:06 AM
I think I'm right in saying it doesn't run windows mobile though. Should that put me off?
Yes you're right and no it shouldn't put you off.

The N80 has the latest version of Symbian Series 60, the same operating system on your 6680. This is an infinitely customisable OS that lets you download and install custom applications - theoretically giving you all the functionality you could ever want if the third party apps are available.

As soon as Dan over at Todayon3G pulls his finger out of his you-know-where he'll have a review of his new N80 up - that should be insightful for all of us.

aunty-fred
8th June 2006, 01:50 AM
The N80 has the latest version of Symbian Series 60, the same operating system on your 6680. .

It is s60 3rd edition which is not backwards compatible, which means there are not too many applications about at the moment, even tom tom are working on it too, so if you need something like tomtom you will need to wait a while longer. But it will be worth it in the end as all the new s60 phones will be 3rd edition

m1.carson
1st July 2006, 07:16 AM
Hi,
I've just upgraded to a Moto V3x on Orange and the homescreen has Orange shortcuts on it, the display models didn't show it, I've just been told the only way to remove it is to re-flash the rom, the dirty grey stripe ruins the look and also partly covered an important message from Orange, i.e. unregistered, had to use my old phone to contact Orange to find out what was going on.
The phone had been registered 2 days earlier.
Max.

Frasman77
1st July 2006, 10:22 PM
Have decided to hold off updgrading for the time being. The N80 is just a little bit too chubby for my liking, and I'm not sure I like that sliding mechanism. The N72 and N73 both look very good though. Hopefully they'll be making an appearance soon.

Ben
1st July 2006, 10:46 PM
I think that could be a wise move. As always, there's great stuff just around the corner so if the current lineup doesn't appeal there's no harm in waiting. Plus that means there's time for plenty of lively discussion about up and coming phones ;)

getti
1st July 2006, 10:57 PM
the Sony Ericsson K800i is due within 3 weeks on Orange. Should be free on most plans too as its not a smartphone.

This is the phone nearly EVERYONE is after right now. It really is amazing how good the camera is.

Due to order mine from 3 on Monday as long as they stop the Nationwide act "New customers only" and expect a full video review within a day or so followed up by a more detailed text review in about a week or so

hecatae
1st July 2006, 11:42 PM
This is the phone nearly EVERYONE is after right now. It really is amazing how good the camera is.

Hello RAZR v3, we meet again

Ben
2nd July 2006, 12:14 AM
Hell, this one could even beat the RAZR. The K750i still sells by the bucket - this one is going to come and blow every other handset away as far as the youth/young adult market is concerned.