View Full Version : King of Music

Ben
14th April 2005, 12:39 AM
Given the recent media hype you'd be forgiven for believing Orange 3G is where you need to be for mobile music downloads.

You'd be mistaken.

A direct comparison of the tracks downloaded from Vodafone Live! with 3G and Orange 3G on my Nokia 6680 shows some significant inconsistencies.

For a start, tracks you download from the Orange Music Player are confined to that player. Luckily the player is quite capable, but that's not the point - the phone has RealPlayer for a reason!

Most importantly, the sound quality of the Orange tracks is just horrific. I'm no audiophile, but if I was I think I'd have burnt the USIM after hearing the quality they're trying to pass off as a £1.50 purchase. I knew there was something wrong, but it was only when I played one of my own MP3 files on the handset and then went a step further and downloaded a track of Vodafone Live! with 3G using my Vodafone USIM (damn SIM-Free is good) that I realised how poorly compressed Orange's tracks are.

With the Orange tracks you hear a lot of 'digital' noise - it basically sounds a bit like you're listening to on hold music! Vodafone's tracks, and my own MP3's, play through the hardware speaker and earphones beautifully, with all the clarity you'd expect from this high-end powerhouse of a phone.

Now that I've had my rant - what do you think? Who's King of Music on the move? If you're voting purely from what you've heard on the street or seen in the news then please state so below along with your choice.

Note: This is only between Orange and Vodafone. Three do those videos... but the sound quality is a bit like Orange's if not worse + they're not the actual tracks. O2 also dabble with music, but not in any way I've experienced.

Jon3G
14th April 2005, 09:25 AM
I have to say Voda live tracks. I have heard a download from Orange it is rubbish.

Martin3G
14th April 2005, 09:35 AM
I don't know what audio coding Vodafone use but someone like itunes has 128Kbit AAC averaging 4Mbit in size for each file. Orange music files are usually less than 1Mbit so they will download quicker and use less storage but don't sound as good :(

Jon3G
14th April 2005, 09:54 AM
That might explain it then

Ben
14th April 2005, 11:32 AM
Orange's downloads are indeed usually under a megabyte, but that's no excuse - Vodafone's aren't that much bigger but just sound a million times better. For the sake of a few kilobytes Orange's third party content partner really should be trying to provide a decent service at £1.50 a pop!

It was certainly disappointing :( The player itself looks so promising too! Though it desperately needs a Search utility...