View Full Version : New 3G Walkman: W850i

Ben
18th May 2006, 05:48 PM
http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=2893

Announced today, the W850i is a splendidly equipped slider with 2in QVGA (240 x 320) display, 2MP digital camera, tri-band and UMTS connectivity, push email and Bluetooth 2.0. It’s compact at just 98 x 47 x 21mm and weighs 116g.

More important than mere specs however is the integration of the new v2.0 Walkman software. Sony Ericsson promotes this as a radical overhaul of the previous incarnation with an improved user interface and integrated online music purchases directly from the handset. These should download pretty quickly too using its 3G capabilities, as long as your contract can afford it.

Furthermore, the Gracenote Mobile MusicID system is pre-installed meaning Sony clips can be recorded from the radio uploaded to Gracenote and the artist, track and album details texted back within minutes. MP3, AAC, AAC+, eAAC+ and M4A audio formats are supported and a 1GB MemoryStick Duo Pro card is bundled (though it has support for up to 4GB). Rather handily, web browsing can be also done in landscape mode to provide extra width and it can handle RSS feeds.

A Q3 time frame has been slapped on the W850i and even the colour blind can see it’s available in either “Precious” Black or “Golden” White (whatever Golden White means…).

Fan-bloody-tastic if you ask me, a real upgrade to the W800i and W810i. Now if only they'd release a real upgrade to the W900i - and no, the W950i wont cut it!

Hands0n
18th May 2006, 08:59 PM
Fan-bloody-tastic if you ask me, a real upgrade to the W800i and W810i. Now if only they'd release a real upgrade to the W900i - and no, the W950i wont cut it!

Wow! indeed :) The W850i is bound to make yet another success for SE, and deservedly so.

I'm not sure I want to see an "update" for the W900i. How do you improve upon perfection lol :D

Edit - A rather nice [short] review and pictures on The Register (http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/05/18/sony_ericsson_extends_walkman_phone_line/) also

x.robyn.x
24th May 2006, 12:56 PM
I just read about this and I think I have found the phone I've been looking for. Golden white looks gorgeous. Does anyone know what tariffs it will be on when released?

Ben
24th May 2006, 04:05 PM
Probably almost all of them, and on most networks. Expect widespread availability some time towards the end of this year.