View Full Version : N80 on T-mobile?

ATZ
21st May 2006, 02:33 AM
Following the mess that was me upgrading to a 6280 on 3, subsequently sending it back and then realising how good a deal flext is I've decided to move networks.

Only thing is I'm waiting for the N80 as this really would be my handeset of choice to arrive on T-Mobile. However, I was in town today and popped into a t-mobile store to see if they could give me a date for the N80's arrival - the news was that alledgedly T-mobile won;t be stocking it due to the problems that have been had with the early handsets? Does anyone know if this is true? :confused:

Also, what would be my viable alternatives on T-Mobile if the N80 is indeed unavailable? I was thinking N70 but i'm keen on the wifi capabilities of the N80 and the superior camera, what would everyone elses choice be in this situation.

I'm not really keen on gong back to O2, or trying vodafone as their price plans are like going back 5 years compared to what flext offers.

Any help guys? :cool:

crowfield99
21st May 2006, 03:57 AM
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05/11/t-mobile_voip_ban_responds/

I know that story is going on about VoIP rather than WiFi, but do you think maybe T-Mobile will also ban the wifi? Did they just say that instore to put you off for the time being.

I hope not anyways :confused:

3GScottishUser
21st May 2006, 08:47 AM
They won't ban Wi-Fi as they have a huge investment in it. They are promoting 3G/Wi-Fi with Web N Walk professional and whilst its early days in terms of handsets the logical expansion would be to extend this product to consumers on devices like the N80.

It might take a while to happen but its a pretty safe bet that T-Mobile will be one of the first to support all of the functionality of the N80 as they have been trailblazing mobile Internet usage in the UK and abroad.

ATZ
21st May 2006, 02:01 PM
3GSU, at a consevative estimate how long you reckon I'm gonna have to wait for T-Mob to launch the N80? My 3 contract runs out mid June and I'm keen not to get committed to another minimum term with them. On that point, if I don't accept an upgrade etc and just continue using my 3 handset until the N80 becomes available - probably past mid june will I have committed to a further term or can i just cancel at any time after this?

Ben
21st May 2006, 04:09 PM
My 3 contract runs out mid June and I'm keen not to get committed to another minimum term with them. On that point, if I don't accept an upgrade etc and just continue using my 3 handset until the N80 becomes available - probably past mid june will I have committed to a further term or can i just cancel at any time after this?
No, you don't automatically get locked in again - after your contract expires you can simply leave at any time provided you don't upgrade. It's the second most powerful position to be in after being a brand new customer.

The N80 seems to be slowly making it onto the highstreet now - I'm optimistic it'll be on T-Mobile by mid-June.

E616Vboy123
21st May 2006, 07:20 PM
T-Mobile have said that they have no plans on releasing the N80. Thats what i've been told anyway.

Hands0n
21st May 2006, 09:02 PM
I have had exactly the opposite information recently given to me by T-Mobile in store with regards to the N80. Personally, I think they'd be mad not to, especially given their disposition to WiFi anyway. The N80 would be a perfect accompaniment to Web N Walk Professional.

@ATZ - I was in exactly the same position vis a vis 3 since January 2006. I awaited the 6280, saw what a mess it was on 3 and waited longer. Then Flext hit the street and Web N Walk too - and what clinched it for me was the T-Mobile offer of 25% discount for life with a 6280. The handset has a later version of the Nokia firmware and works faultlessly on the T-Mobile network. While waiting for T-Mobile to liven up their Opera Mini server I (and others) have been using Opera Mini browser downloaded and installed on the 6280 gaining proper access to the Web N Walk "unlimited" data offer (much better than the WAP browser).

If you're after the capabilities of the N80 then a wait of probably not much longer is on the cards with T-Mobile. Otherwise, I'd say go for the 6280 with them.

prc
20th June 2006, 10:54 PM
My local T-Mobile shop is selling Nokia N80 and N91 on T_Mobile on Flext 35

Ben
20th June 2006, 11:15 PM
Hello prc, welcome to Talk3G :)

Is this an official T-Mobile store or one of the independent T-Mobile solus dealers? (I ask because an independent is more likely to buy the stock SIM-Free and sell it with a T-Mobile SIM).

Fingers crossed for a full T-Mobile release soon - their handset range is crying out for the N80.

prc
22nd June 2006, 09:43 PM
I returned to my local T-Mobile shop, and the offer of the N80 and N91 are no longer taking place. The shop had a limited number of the phones but are unable to obtain any more, so the offer is over.

prc
25th June 2006, 09:39 PM
It appears that although T-Mobile are not issuing the Nokia N80 they are shortly be releasing the N73 as an upgrade. As I do not know the N73, is it worth waiting to see what happens. Is the N73 worthy having, is it similar to the N80?

maxspank
25th June 2006, 11:56 PM
http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_n73-1550.php

sounds it might be just like the N80 except the N73 doesn't slide, and has no wifi.

Ben
26th June 2006, 03:10 AM
Nice camera though, with the all-important and often-missing AF: "3.2 MP, 2048x1536 pixels, Carl Zeiss optics, autofocus"