View Full Version : Vodafone to gamble on fixed/mobile

3GScottishUser
28th May 2006, 08:33 AM
From The Inquirer (28/05/2006):

ACCORDING TO a report in the FT, Vodafone may be intending to announce that it will launch services similar to its Zuhause offering in Germany to other territories where it operates.
Zuhause is Vodafone's answer to O2's Genion service which O2 has been offering since 1999. Basically it takes the concept of a 'home zone' around your house to provide calls at rates equivalent to fix line calls.

However, both O2 and Vodafone have extended that capability to providing Internet access via the 3G (W-CDMA) network.

Significantly Vodafone has said that it will employ HSDPA (otherwise known as Superfast 3G) to reach speeds of 1.8 Mbit/s.

Vodafone has re-branded Option's GlobeSurfer Icon data card to the Zuhause EasyBox to do so. When HSDPA isn't available, the GlobeSurfer card falls back to 384 Kbit/s over 3G or 247 Kbit/s over EDGE.

This will be good news for Ericsson which is supplying Vodafone Germany with the kit to support HSDPA across its 3G network.

Incidentally O2's version of Internet access over 3G is known as surf@home.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31993

More information on Vodafone Zuhause: http://www.vodafoneshop.de/shop/zuhause/index.cfm?LOGID=2006052809322673408910196947300029 99285116230818637470744

Hands0n
28th May 2006, 08:54 AM
I wouldn't think it too much of a "gamble" - there is likely a huge market for such access from the rented accommodation people in this country. The hassle of moving fixed line services for them is extraordinary. Mobile like this is bound to be a winner - if promoted and targetted correctly. I'd start with flat/house rental and student markets.

3GScottishUser
28th May 2006, 09:38 AM
Yep.... I suspect there will be a lot of elderly people who could get rid of their landlines too. The big tie-in for landlines now is ADSL but if dont have that and dont need it this Vodafone product could make a lot of sense.

Denyo1977
28th May 2006, 10:19 AM
I used to have O2 Genion and it was pretty cool. My homezone was actually the whole town. Ok, it was a small town but I guess it was about 3 square miles big. In cities like Berlin it was only about 0.5 square miles but still quite good I guess. Actually surprised no network (especially O2) in England has offered this kind of product so far. I wonder how long it takes Vodafone to offer Zuhause (if they do it at all).

3GScottishUser
28th May 2006, 11:17 AM
Many years ago when GSM was launched Vodafone had differential pricing on a tariff called MetroDigital. Your phone used to display local dialing code areas where calls were charged at 10p a minute instead of the standard 25p a minute. This was on top of the £25 a month line rental which had no inclusive texts or calltime. The technology to achieve the above is still available on some handsets and is called 'cell broadcast'. When activated iit still displays local calling codes!

Happy memories!!